Windows 10: Context menu to create new folder, *from directory and/or drive*?

Discus and support Context menu to create new folder, *from directory and/or drive*? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Shawn had posted excellent tutorials for restoring the registry settings for restoring the "NEW" context menu for creating new folders, but those... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by handvprice, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Context menu to create new folder, *from directory and/or drive*?

Shawn had posted excellent tutorials for restoring the registry settings for restoring the "NEW" context menu for creating new folders, but those default settings only apply to right-clicking on the background (blank desktop space or in file explorer away from folders), or (for some reason) right-clicking on a folder in the left-hand tree pane of explorer. Are there any registry entries which can add that context menu if one starts by right-clicking on a folder/directory in the right-hand pane, or on a drive (in either pane)? Thanks.

:)

handvprice, Sep 21, 2017

2. Cannot create new folders through the right click context menu or standard menus

I am experiencing this problem too. I cannot, however, find the fix identified by KeithM-60601 that worked for the woman who originally posted the problem (I think it was Nina_896):

"EDIT : Try the 'Directory' association fix found at the same tenforums link."

My problem came after having made changes to the registry to rename my User folder using a tip from TenForums and a registry find and replace utility. I backed my registries up but want to see if this fix will work for me too so that I don't have to go
    through the whole procedure again to get my file naming correct. Seems like a weird oversight on MS's part to not give the user the chance to name the user profile but instead to just generate the user profile name from the a truncation of the email address...

Attached is a copy of my current HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory]

@="File Folder"

"EditFlags"=hex:d2,01,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\cmd]

@="@shell32.dll,-8506"

"Extended"=""

"HideBasedOnVelocityId"=dword:00639bc8

"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\cmd\command]

@="cmd.exe /s /k pushd \"%V\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\Powershell]

@="@shell32.dll,-8508"

"Extended"=""

"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

"ShowBasedOnVelocityId"=dword:00639bc8

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\Powershell\command]

@="powershell.exe -noexit -command Set-Location -literalPath '%V'"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\ FileSyncEx]

@="{CB3D0F55-BC2C-4C1A-85ED-23ED75B5106B}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\DropboxExt]

@="{ECD97DE5-3C8F-4ACB-AEEE-CCAB78F7711C}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\WorkFolders]

@="{E61BF828-5E63-4287-BEF1-60B1A4FDE0E3}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]

@="none"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\AddToPlaylistVLC]

@="Add to VLC media player's Playlist"

"MultiSelectModel"="Player"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\AddToPlaylistVLC\command]

@="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\VideoLAN\\VLC\\vlc.exe\" --started-from-file --playlist-enqueue \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\cmd]

@="@shell32.dll,-8506"

"Extended"=""

"HideBasedOnVelocityId"=dword:00639bc8

"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\cmd\command]

@="cmd.exe /s /k pushd \"%V\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\PlayWithVLC]

@="Play with VLC media player"

"MultiSelectModel"="Player"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\PlayWithVLC\command]

@="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\VideoLAN\\VLC\\vlc.exe\" --started-from-file --no-playlist-enqueue \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Powershell]

@="@shell32.dll,-8508"

"Extended"=""

"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

"ShowBasedOnVelocityId"=dword:00639bc8

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Powershell\command]

@="powershell.exe -noexit -command Set-Location -literalPath '%V'"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\ FileSyncEx]

@="{CB3D0F55-BC2C-4C1A-85ED-23ED75B5106B}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\7-Zip]

@="{23170F69-40C1-278A-1000-000100020000}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\BoxContextMenuClient]

@="{53792c99-3144-3699-8968-fa4278ad3c1e}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\DropboxExt]

@="{ECD97DE5-3C8F-4ACB-AEEE-CCAB78F7711C}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\WorkFolders]

@="{E61BF828-5E63-4287-BEF1-60B1A4FDE0E3}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\CopyHookHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\CopyHookHandlers\DropboxCopyHook]

@="{FBC9D74C-AF55-4309-9FB2-C426E071637F}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\DragDropHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\DragDropHandlers\7-Zip]

@="{23170F69-40C1-278A-1000-000100020000}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\{ECCDF543-45CC-11CE-B9BF-0080C87CDBA6}]

Matt.Allen, Sep 21, 2017
  3. can't create new folder in windows 10

2. Now create a new key "New" under "ContextMenuHandlers" key.

3. Select "New" key and in right-side pane, set the value of Default to:

4. Close Registry Editor and you'll get the missing "New" option back in context menu.

***NOTE: There are two directories named shellex make sure you are under the one as mentioned above.

I have no such key in regedit: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\

MiodragMilincic, Sep 21, 2017
  4. pepanee Win User

Context menu to create new folder, *from directory and/or drive*?

I've never heard of any such idea. It would make sense to right click on a drive and see that "New" menu there if you want to create a new file/folder in that drive. There's apps that can edit your right click context menu for specific files or folders, yet I don't know if you can add that "New" sub menu in there.

pepanee, Sep 21, 2017
  5. pbcopter Win User
    I'm not sure why you would want to do that. If you right click on an empty area on any window showing folders, you get the New entry. That is where you would want to create a new folder, IMO.

pbcopter, Sep 21, 2017
  6. Gordon7 Win User
    You can't create a new folder upon a folder - you have to open that folder first and then create the new folder!

Gordon7, Sep 22, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    Actually, you can - but only if you right-click on a drive or a folder in the left-hand navigation pane.

8. f14tomcat Win User

I just tried that, and yes, it expanded in the left pane with a new folder named New Folder, but before I could type anything, it went blank and just created the folder New Folder in that drive. Bit goofy. Still better to just go into the folder in question and do it there, the normal way.

f14tomcat, Sep 22, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    Odd, I get the chance to edit the name, but like you I'd rather use the main window rather than the navigation pane.

10. Probably your machine is too fast?

Wiley Coyote, Sep 22, 2017
  11. f14tomcat Win User
    *really*chuckle

f14tomcat, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Context menu to create new folder, *from directory and/or drive*? - Similar Threads - Context menu create

2. Create New RTF file missing from Context Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create New RTF file missing from Context Menu: I have tried every registry hack I can find but Windows 11 ignores them completely. I was able to get "new text file" added back in, but "New RTF file" just won't come back. I'm so frustrated with this. I even made sure to associate all RTF files with WordPad instead of MS...
  3. Create New RTF file missing from Context Menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create New RTF file missing from Context Menu: I have tried every registry hack I can find but Windows 11 ignores them completely. I was able to get "new text file" added back in, but "New RTF file" just won't come back. I'm so frustrated with this. I even made sure to associate all RTF files with WordPad instead of MS...
  4. I can't create new folders with the context menu or in windows explorer.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't create new folders with the context menu or in windows explorer.: Pretty much what the title says, in the context menu under the 'new' option there is no longer the option to create a new folder. I'm running windows 10 ver. 10.0.19041 build 19041 I've tried running registry edit, going to...
  5. Menu to create new file is gone from context menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Menu to create new file is gone from context menu: Hi, for whatever reason I am only able to create a new folder / shortcut and not a new file. Any idea how I might get the normal "new" menu back? [img] OS Version: 2004 OS Build 19041.208 155787
  6. Context Menu Doesn't Show Create New?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Context Menu Doesn't Show Create New?: [ATTACH] Self explanatory, recently reset PC and no option to create new folders etc. Any fix for this? Recently poked around in the registry because I had an issue where the context menu didn't even appear, I may have deleted something. Please halp. Upon right click...
  7. Creating a new registry enty for a new context menu entry

in Windows 10 Customization
    Creating a new registry enty for a new context menu entry: For text editing and browsing a file's contents, I always use Textpad because it is a very sophisticated text editor. Also installed Notepad++ "just in case." NP++ has a neat context menu option "Edit with Notepad++" appearing in any context. In prior Windows versions the...
  8. Creating a new registry enty for a new context menu entry

in Windows 10 Support
    Creating a new registry enty for a new context menu entry: For text editing and browsing a file's contents, I always use Textpad because it is a very sophisticated text editor. Also installed Notepad++ "just in case." NP++ has a neat context menu option "Edit with Notepad++" appearing in any context. In prior Windows versions the...
  9. Creating a new entry in the context menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Creating a new entry in the context menu: Hello from Germany. Is it possible to create a new entry in the context menu in "new"? I often need an empty paint-pic. For example: [img] Thank you. 39917
  10. No context menu in OneDrive directory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No context menu in OneDrive directory: From a while back I noticed that there is no context menu for OneDrive when clicking files or folders in the OneDrive directory. Today I updated to the Fall Creators Update and the new OneDrive and there's still no context menu so I can't properly use the new on-demand...