Windows 10: continuously running out of c:/ space

Discus and support continuously running out of c:/ space in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I have a laptop with 128GB SSD (system) and 1TB HDD, 16GB RAM. I bought it 3 months ago. I use the laptop for work on a daily basis mainly for 3D... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Juzwa, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Juzwa Win User

continuously running out of c:/ space

Hi, I have a laptop with 128GB SSD (system) and 1TB HDD, 16GB RAM. I bought it 3 months ago. I use the laptop for work on a daily basis mainly for 3D programs like 3ds Max, Maya, Houdini and some coding in python.

Around month ago I moved pagefile.sys to the second HDD drive and removed hiberfi.sys. And after that I had around 20GB of free space.

Since that time I didn't do any new programs installations, except pip extension for pyQt. Im trying to remove all the temporary stuff, program autosave files, downloads as often as I can. But every day I have fewer space left on my drive.

Today when I started working I had 3.26GB of free space. And there are no files that I can remove to free the space.

So Im wondering, where did all that space go? I mean thats almost 20GB in one month (I have 128GB SSD, so its like 15% space)

What can I do to free the space? Because 3GB of free space is not safe if I want to work on this machine

:)

Juzwa, Sep 21, 2016
  2. PeterG115 Win User

Low Disk Space - You are running out of disk space on windows RE tools message

Glad you found the information helpful Mike. We both saved money and time.

PeterG115, Sep 21, 2016
  3. Low Disk Space - You are running out of disk space on windows RE tools message

Hello Mike,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and Thank you for posting your query.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused with Windows 10. I understand you are receiving Low disk space popup message.

Thanks for providing the screenshots and details about the issue.

Recovery drive is to store all the files needed to do an emergency recovery when the system becomes unstable like to do a system restore.

The Recovery drive is actually a partition on the main hard drive in your computer - not an actual, physical drive. It has much less available space than Drive (Ccontinuously running out of c:/ space :).

You may please refer to the below article about a similar issue and check if it helps.

HP PCs - Error: Low Disk Space. You are running out of disk space on Recovery (Windows 8)

HP PCs - Error: Low Disk Space. You are running out of disk space on Recovery (Windows 8) | HP® Customer Support

(The Steps given for Windows 8 in the above link also applies to Windows 10).

Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepak Kodi, Sep 21, 2016
  4. continuously running out of c:/ space

You can use TreeSize Free to see, what is eating up the space.

In the meantime, you can run WC.bat as admin to perform a cleanup.

There are also other utilities to clean Windows like CCleaner and Wise Disk Cleaner.

TairikuOkami, Sep 21, 2016
  5. sb78 Win User
    I Have similar issue.

Two pcs both running Win 10 PRO 64Bit Preinstalled! 8 GB Ram
    PC one has 1TB HD
    System Storage is as follows :-
    Total USed 143GB
    System & Reserved 28.2GB
    Apps 30.8GB
    PC 2 has 480GB SSD (& 500GB HD added for documnets only as space issue tempory resolve)
    Total Space used 440GB
    System & reserved 417GB
    Apps 13.4GB

How is it the two pcs are so different due to System install size?

6. sb78 Win User
    I have traced this to my antivirus software KIS 2016. For some reason it has been producing 250MB log files daily!

7. dalchina New Member
    Note that you may have programs which generate large, possibly temporary files.
    Some programs use working space under C:\Users, others may create folders in Documents, Videos, Photos etc.

If that's so, you may be able to configure those programs to place their data elsewhere, maybe not.

You will know more when you have identified where your files are that are taking space, and hence the cause.
    Note that a Windows upgrade will create Windows.old (up to about 18Gb, an you need to allow some 10Gb free on top of that).

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

continuously running out of c:/ space

1. continuously running out of c:/ space - Similar Threads - continuously running space

2. Continuing decrease in C-drive free space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Continuing decrease in C-drive free space: My most recently posted inquiry was concerning huge etl files that were continually growing and eating up the free space on my C-drive. The two etl files Win<Sys.32<Log Files are now a little more than 3 GB and do not appear to be growing and thank you to the three forum...
  3. Continuing decrease in C-drive free space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Continuing decrease in C-drive free space: My most recently posted inquiry was concerning huge etl files that were continually growing and eating up the free space on my C-drive. The two etl files Win<Sys.32<Log Files are now a little more than 3 GB and do not appear to be growing and thank you to the three forum...
  4. Continuing decrease in C-drive free space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Running out of Storage Space

Running out of Storage Space: In 2016 I purchased a Dell computer from Dell here in Germany. My previous Dell ran out of storage space which was the reason for the purchase and I wanted a PC that would have more than enough. I purchased a Dell XPS 8900, w/16.0 RAM, using WIN 10 Home. The PC has an OS...
  6. Running out of Storage Space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Running out of Storage Space: In 2016 I purchased a Dell computer from Dell here in Germany. My previous Dell ran out of storage space which was the reason for the purchase and I wanted a PC that would have more than enough. I purchased a Dell XPS 8900, w/16.0 RAM, using WIN 10 Home. The PC has an OS...
  7. Running out of Storage Space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. C Drive running out of space

C Drive running out of space: Hi, my laptop's local disk C: drive seems to be constantly filling up. I have an Acer Aspite V17, the C drive is 118GB and the D drive is 931GB. I work as an audio engineer and download a few GB worth of files each day to the laptop but always have the projects and the files...
  9. Running out of space on HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Running out of space on HDD: I'm not even sure I'm in the right sub, but help me if you can. I neglected my PC organization through college and now I'm running out of space. I've been erasing tons of old files and etc but I noticed that my space somehow gets smaller little by little from time to time. I...
  10. C Drive out of Space

C Drive out of Space: I am using Windows 10 Pro. I have installed the OS on SSD with 256 GB capacity. Files on my SSD including OS files are hardly of 63 GB. But windows shows that there is only 1.02 GB free of 232 GB. I have moved pagefile.sys to other hard disk but it didnt work out. How do I...