Windows 10: Control Panel freezes since anniversary update - Lenovo Thinkpad

Discus and support Control Panel freezes since anniversary update - Lenovo Thinkpad in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Lenovo Thinkpad W550s, originally Windows 7 Pro, updated to Win 10 Pro more than a year ago. Since Anniversary update was applied (only a week ago), I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by docGlenn, Oct 7, 2016.

1. docGlenn Win User

Control Panel freezes since anniversary update - Lenovo Thinkpad

Lenovo Thinkpad W550s, originally Windows 7 Pro, updated to Win 10 Pro more than a year ago. Since Anniversary update was applied (only a week ago), I see that Control Panel is now inoperative. It is possible that this problem occurred before Anniversary, but I know I used CP around 4 weeks earlier.

How and What: in search bar, type "control panel". It opens and then I get the green "progress bar" at the top as it apparently searches for additional control modules. It never stops searching. And now if I click on any item in the panel, it hangs up with spinning wheel. And then I cannot bring up Task Manager by right-click on the Date-time at lower right. I can still interact with the already open web browser. Attempting to access anything else in CP tells me it is "not responding".

How to Kill Control Panel: after some time if I right click on the CP is the taskbar, I will not see a context menu. However, suddenly the entire task bar blanks out and then re-writes itself - and the CP icon is gone.

What else: I can run the much less useful Windows 10 "settings" app. And in it I am able to access things such as Device Manager. So I'm not hosed, just very annoyed.
    I suspect some Lenovo bug, but have absolutely no evidence for this - it's just that I'm pretty sour on Lenovo after buying this Thinkpad (but the keyboard and pointing stick are excellent!).

Has anybody else encountered trouble like this?

:)

docGlenn, Oct 7, 2016

2. Middle mouse button functionality changed in Windows 10 - Cannot open new tab or scroll old way

These settings can be changed in the mouse options from Control Panel.

On my Lenovo L460 I performed the following steps.

1. Go to Control Panel

2. Click on Mouse

3. Click on the "ThinkPad" tab

4. In the Middle Button Action options, select "Use as middle click"

Since this was done on my Lenovo lap, you could try similar options on other model laptops/PCs

Regards,

Giftson

GiftsonRuphus, Oct 7, 2016
  3. swodniws Win User
    After Anniversary Update, I get this message at startup...

Ok, more digging... This looks like a Lenovo file. Don't know what changed in Win10 Anniversary, but will look at their website. Laptop is a Lenovo ThinkPad.

I did not have this issue on Win10 before the Anniversary update.

swodniws, Oct 7, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, no, not noted a report like this yet. My CP is fine, build 14393.222.

Could you post your build number? (Windows key + R, type winver).

If you create a new user account for test purposes, do you see the same thing?
    And in Safe Mode?
    Is there anything of help in the event log (Event Viewer) or Reliability History? (Type Relia in Cortana's search field, click the result)

dalchina, Oct 10, 2016
Thema:

1. Control Panel freezes since anniversary update - Lenovo Thinkpad - Similar Threads - Control Panel freezes

2. Lenovo thinkpad x121e

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lenovo thinkpad x121e: Is lenovo thinkpad x121e support windows 10 or do i work with windows 7 or 8 ? Which windows good for my lenovo thinkpad x121e https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lenovo-thinkpad-x121e/ad85949d-a12b-4d2b-82b3-dbd08898c336
  3. Lenovo thinkpad x121e

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lenovo thinkpad x121e: Is lenovo thinkpad x121e support windows 10 or do i work with windows 7 or 8 ? Which windows good for my lenovo thinkpad x121e https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lenovo-thinkpad-x121e/ad85949d-a12b-4d2b-82b3-dbd08898c336
  4. idea thinkpad - Lenovo

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    idea thinkpad - Lenovo: i just got this lapto over the weekend and am still i'm unable to create Hello ID - Pin or fingerprint. I keep getting an error mssg that "Oops something went wrong.. log into account.live.com to fix". nothing gets resolved.. i logged in using an existing gmail and then...
  5. Lenovo Thinkpad Windows Update Problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lenovo Thinkpad Windows Update Problem: My Window 10 Lenovo Thinkpad has been Updating for hours and is Stuck on 42%Hello, I just recently bought an Lenovo Thinkpad Laptop Recently as in it's only been a few days and it this morning was found to be updating, I left it alone thinking it's been Updating and to wait...
  6. TOUCHPAD ON LENOVO THINKPAD

TOUCHPAD ON LENOVO THINKPAD: Updated drivers but still cant get touchpad to work https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/touchpad-on-lenovo-thinkpad/e713eb98-38b9-4f08-9c3d-74f361e10b0f
  7. Lenovo ThinkPad error

Lenovo ThinkPad error: [IMG][IMG]Hello! I can’t open any program on my laptop lenovo t440, and I have 2 errors. One with power manager gauge and the other with Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library. I can’t open settings, can’t open programs such as explorer or chrome. I can open windows...
  8. Lenovo thinkpad battery

Lenovo thinkpad battery: Hello everyone, I am having a problem with my lenovo think pad battery it is only charging up to 65 to 73% and it ends there it started some few days ago and i don't know how to fix it so that it could charge up to the normal 100% any help please?...
  9. Reset of Lenovo ThinkPad

in Windows 10 Customization
    Reset of Lenovo ThinkPad: I am trying to get the recovery key to a Lenovo ThinkPad. I have followed the instructions, but no key appears. What do I do next???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reset-of-lenovo-thinkpad/1bc9c829-3557-45ff-a4bd-0ff8b12405d0
  10. Blue Screen Since Anniversary Update

Blue Screen Since Anniversary Update: I keep getting the odd blue screen since the anniversary update. I think it's network related, the network driver. I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it but it keeps happening. Any ideas? Attached is the zip file as per rules of posting on this section. 61175