Windows 10: Control panel starts up but shuts down within a few seconds

Discus and support Control panel starts up but shuts down within a few seconds in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is my son’s Windows 10 computer: HP ProBook 6560b Win10 Pro (x64) laptop It updated to CU Version 1703 (build 15063.413) today 6/30/17 It was on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MeAndMyComputer, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Control panel starts up but shuts down within a few seconds

This is my son’s Windows 10 computer: HP ProBook 6560b Win10 Pro (x64) laptop
    It updated to CU Version 1703 (build 15063.413) today 6/30/17
    It was on Version 1607 (OS build 14393.1198) and ran excellently.
    However on the CU Version 1703 (build 15063.413), the control panel starts up but shuts down within a few seconds.

I have a work-around for now
    appwiz.cpl
    Control panel\all control panel items\
    --- So far selecting an item allows me to work with it

Control panel starts up but shuts down within a few seconds [​IMG]

However, selecting the first item with the registry (98F2AB62-0E29-4E4C-8EE7-B542E66740B1) number reports

Control panel starts up but shuts down within a few seconds [​IMG]

How do I create an association in the default programs control panel?

:)

MeAndMyComputer, Jun 30, 2017
  2. Cal54 Win User

Control panel starts but disappears after a few seconds.

When you get to the next build that should not happen. If it was not working on 15063 Maybe you need to do a clean Install.

You might have some third party apps causing you trouble.

I know it works and does not disappear on my Desktop System because My Insider Preview Release Is
    15063.332 as you can see at the bottom of all my Replies.

You can Update to it at
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The Control Panel works in that Build.Control panel starts up but shuts down within a few seconds :)

Cal54, Jun 30, 2017
  3. Control panel starts but disappears after a few seconds.

Yes I know that but a getting to Control panel was not the problem. The problem is when you get to it, it opens for 3 seconds and then closes and it can't be used.

Pluto Planet, Jun 30, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

Control panel starts up but shuts down within a few seconds

There may be other problems.

Consider in place up grade repair using bootable windows 10 iso.

First check the integrity of the operating system and see if running some command can fix the problem:

Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:

1) winver (in the pop up about windows > view your windows version and build > type this information into the thread)

2) sfc /scannow

3) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

4) chkdsk /scan

When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on copy > paste into the thread

If any of the above displayed integrity violations that were not repairable or could not complete or had errors plan an in place upgrade repair.

Find a flash drive that you can format.
    Create a bootable windows 10 iso: Download Windows 10

Power on the computer
    Open file explorer
    Insert the flash driver with the windows 10 iso into any usb port.
    WIthin file explorer click on this PC and locate the USB flash drive.
    Left click on the flash drive and look for a file/folder named setup or setup.exe.
    Left click on this file.
    On the screen you will then have the option to install.
    Do not install.
    Instead look in the lower left for repair.
    Follow this menu. You can allow or not allow updates.
    You can choose to keep files and/or keep applications.
    It will reboot multiple times.
    When it completes the installation you will have repaired the operating system and registry.
    This is a link with text and images: Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

zbook, Jun 30, 2017
  5. Thanks for your advice zbook: I have accomplished this so far. Using winver, the computer was on Version 1607 (OS build 14393.1198) and after the upgrade it was on Version 1703 (build 15063.413).
    Per your recommendations
    I ran sfc scannow and it reported System Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
    Then dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and it came back reporting completed successfully.

I didn't get to running chkdsk /scan but I had run Error Checking before: it stated "You don't need to scan this drive" but I ran it anyway.

Since we were celebrating the 4th with family and friends that's as far as I got then I had to leave.
    We live about 100 miles apart so it will take a while before I get back on it.
    The computer was running fine when I left. My son hasn't had to use the Control Panel yet and told me he'll call me if he has to use it.

Since then I've researched the issue and the one I'm keeping this as a reference
    How to Fix Control Panel Crashes on Windows 10
    How to Fix Control Panel Crashes on Windows 10
    --- The issue they report refers to the IDT Audio Control Panel. (There are other articles indicating the same).
    --- I suspect that's a very good possibility.
    --- When the computer was on 1607, Belarc's Multimedia section reported AMD High Definition Audio Device / IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
    --- When the computer updated to 1703, Belarc's Multimedia section reported AMD High Definition Audio Device / High Definition Audio Device: so the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC didn't follow along.
    --- As a result, I'll told my son to see if 1703 WU's eventually catches up with that which is one of the recommendations.

When I get back to his house, I'll double check what's going on. It will be a while but I'll post back on the results.

MeAndMyComputer, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Control panel starts up but shuts down within a few seconds

1. Control panel starts up but shuts down within a few seconds - Similar Threads - Control panel starts

2. Adobe Acrobat shutting down after few seconds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adobe Acrobat shutting down after few seconds: In newly installed Windows 10 Pro Adobe Acrobat X PRO keeps shutting down after several seconds,It does not matter whether Acrobat is started alone or just opened from pdf file.It does not help when started with Administrator privileges.The same problem I have on 2nd computer...
  3. Adobe Acrobat shutting down after few seconds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adobe Acrobat shutting down after few seconds: In newly installed Windows 10 Pro Adobe Acrobat X PRO keeps shutting down after several seconds,It does not matter whether Acrobat is started alone or just opened from pdf file.It does not help when started with Administrator privileges.The same problem I have on 2nd computer...
  4. Adobe Acrobat shutting down after few seconds

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 10 email shuts down within 10 seconds of starting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 email shuts down within 10 seconds of starting: Saw some older posts on similar to my issue but no fixes... All of a sudden today, after months of working fine, when I click to open Mail app, it shows me the "spalsh screen" and the I see my inbox, and then disappears. Takes 5 to 10 seconds and I do not touch anything....
  6. USB game controller shuts down after a few seconds after connecting it

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB game controller shuts down after a few seconds after connecting it: SpeedLink Xeox controller It worked fine up until a few days ago, and it still works when tested on another machine but not on my PC. In Device Manager it gives this error: A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this...
  7. Labtop starting up then shutting down

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Labtop starting up then shutting down: Every time I try to turn on my computer it starts up but when I try to install Windows 10 on it it keeps its at 64% and then it shuts down and then it goes over the same process what should I do about this...
  8. App shuts down after few seconds of work

in Windows 10 Customization
    App shuts down after few seconds of work: A I use an app from ASUS, which is called "Asus Splendid". It enhances picture and I make color temperature warmer. And it worked fine while I was on 1709 but few weeks ago I updated to 1803 and this application doesn't start up with windows 10 so I have to launch it myself,...
  9. Control panel loads and then closes within 5 seconds.

in Windows 10 Support
    Control panel loads and then closes within 5 seconds.: My Win 10 upgraded to Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4022405) and now I can't load and use control panel. Did they do away with it, and if so why? Is there a fix? I have a HP ENVY with Intel i7 and Nvidia Geforce and 16 G mem. 87266
  10. Start Menu Not Opening cannot get to Control panel or even Shut Down!!

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Not Opening cannot get to Control panel or even Shut Down!!: Since the latest 'Update' a little while ago, I cannot open the Start Menu or get to the Control Panel or even Shut the PC down and I've also lost all the Sound. Has anyone else had these Problems? Just before it all went wrong (Again!) I saw a flag about an 'Immersive...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. {98f2ab62-0e29-4e4c-8ee7-b542e66740b1}

2. win 10 shuts control panel after a few secs

3. control panel suddenly shuts down

4. 98f2ab62-0e29-4e4c-8ee7-b542e66740b1