Windows 10: Control Panel Won't Open

Discus and support Control Panel Won't Open in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; miD5kAwI69M I upgraded this computer to Windows 10 a while ago and I have noticed that some things will close immediately or soon after you open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CP778, Jan 20, 2017.

1. CP778 Win User

Control Panel Won't Open

[youtube]miD5kAwI69M[/youtube]

I upgraded this computer to Windows 10 a while ago and I have noticed that some things will close immediately or soon after you open them. Control Panel is the biggest offender of this. This is the Admin account.

:)

CP778, Jan 20, 2017

2. control panel won't open

Hi Lauretta,

The Control Panel may not open if there are corruptions happened while updating your computer. In order for us to efficiently assist you with your concern, we just have a few questions for you:

• Aside from the Creators Update, were there any changes made to your computer prior to the issue?
    • Have you checked if you can open the Control Panel in safe mode?
    • Have you checked if you can open the Control Panel in clean boot State?
    • Have you tried running the System File Checker tool?
    • Aside from a blue screen, are your getting an error message/code when trying to launch the Control Panel?

Regards.

Darian Tab, Jan 20, 2017
  3. NBLCAMUY Win User
    control panel won't open

MS just finished a MASSIVE update on my windows 10. Control Panel will not stay open. goes back to desk top screen. Also moved all my icons. What a balls up. will see if I can reverse the update.

NBLCAMUY, Jan 20, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Control Panel Won't Open

Hi, that's file explorer crashing. It suggests you may have some sort of addon or context menu entry it doesn't like.
    Thanks for the video.

You may get a clue by looking at your event log. (Event viewer).

Search this forum for suggestions (various solutions have been found). You'll need to do some work to identify the cause by trial and error, or technical analysis to find the actual cause.

E.g. here are some I've found for you:
    Control panel causes explorer.exe to restart
    https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/24128-cant-open-file-explorer-control-panel.html

File Explorer keeps crashing
    File Explorer keeps crashing

File Explorer crashes after Right Click in Desktop

More generally if nothing in above:
    1. Does it happen after a clean boot?
    If not, progressively enable programs until it does to identify a program it's related to.

2. Download and run shellexview (free). Hide all MS shell extensions. Disable all others. No need to log off etc.
    Does the problem disappear? If so, it's related to a shell extension.

dalchina, Jan 20, 2017
Thema:

Control Panel Won't Open

1. Control Panel Won't Open - Similar Threads - Control Panel Won't

2. Control Panel not openning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Control Panel not openning: Hello i can't open cotrol paneli have this errorException EAccessViolation in module UninistallExplorer.dll at 02D36EB0Access violation at 02D37EB0. write of address 02D37EB0...
  3. Control Panel not openning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Control Panel not openning: Hello i can't open cotrol paneli have this errorException EAccessViolation in module UninistallExplorer.dll at 02D36EB0Access violation at 02D37EB0. write of address 02D37EB0...
  4. control panel won't open in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    control panel won't open in windows 11: I upgrade windows 10 to windows 11. I cannot open both control panel and network & internet from my desk top. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/control-panel-wont-open-in-windows-11/06e20840-431c-4629-8add-6f46def79146
  5. control panel won't open in windows 11

control panel won't open in windows 11: I upgrade windows 10 to windows 11. I cannot open both control panel and network & internet from my desk top. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/control-panel-wont-open-in-windows-11/06e20840-431c-4629-8add-6f46def79146
  6. Control Panel will not open

Control Panel will not open: Hey there, I cannot open my control panel. I go to Start and click, input "Control Panel" in the search box. The Control Panel Icon appears in the "Best Match" column and in the right hand pane next to it. Nothing happens when the icon is selected though. When I hover over...
  7. Control Panel not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Control Panel not opening: I recently updated my preview build to 22h22262.586 and ever since then control panel isnt opening, even if i click uninstall on a program which opens control panel isnt working. only way to open control panel is to go to "C:\Windows\System32\appwiz.cpl".PLS HELP, i dont want...
  8. Control Panel not opening

Control Panel not opening: I recently updated my preview build to 22h22262.586 and ever since then control panel isnt opening, even if i click uninstall on a program which opens control panel isnt working. only way to open control panel is to go to "C:\Windows\System32\appwiz.cpl".PLS HELP, i dont want...
  9. Nvidia Control Panel won't open

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Nvidia Control Panel won't open: Well, I am having this problem that Nvidia Control Panel won't open on my PC. I uninstalled and reinstalled. The PC was restarted, Still wont open. Tried going in through Control Panel and open it. Error comes up saying "application not found" Even after uninstalling and...
  10. NVIDIA Control Panel won't open

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    NVIDIA Control Panel won't open: I can't get the NVIDIA Control Panel to open. I click on it through the Windows Control Panel and the cursor will spin for a few seconds, and you can see the process start and run for a few seconds in the Task Manager, then it stops. Will not open up. Tried rebooting, but no...