Windows 10: Controlled Folder Access

Discus and support Controlled Folder Access in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have followed all of the instructions given to enable access to 'Controlled Folder access' but for whatever reason I do not seem to have this option... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Bluenose1940, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Controlled Folder Access

I have followed all of the instructions given to enable access to 'Controlled Folder access' but for whatever reason I do not seem to have this option available to me.

Can anyone throw any light on this for me please.

Many thanks.

:)

Bluenose1940, Nov 9, 2017

2. Controlled Access Folder

Thanks John

I'll blame you when the pir8s come hacking.

But seriously the update is running well on the Surface Pro 4

MrMikeReynolds, Nov 9, 2017
  3. Controlled Access Folder

Hi

In Windows Defender > Virus and Threat Protection Settings > there is an option:

Controlled Folder Access

Protected your files and folders from unauthorized changed(sic) by unfriendly applications.

This is followed by an On/Off switch.

After i updated to the 2017 Fall Update this switch was left as Off.

Many tech/and other websites are discussing that this should be changed to On.

Should I change it to On?

All other options were On except the Controlled Folder Access.

Regards

MrMikeReynolds, Nov 9, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Controlled Folder Access

dalchina, Nov 9, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    It is a NTFS drive as if it's fat32 it doesn't support it

Samuria, Nov 9, 2017
  6. Thank you for coming in on this Samuria.
    When I click on my 'C' drive and look at Properties it says File System NTFS.

Bluenose1940, Nov 10, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Controlled Folder Access

Hi, if you had build 1703 (creator's build, 15063) that feature was not available in that build at all.
    I'm sorry we assumed you had the appropriate build. (Note- I specify my Windows build in my specs - see My computer below).

For public release it appeared in the Fall Creator's Build (1709), which is why you now see it.
    Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10 Security System Tutorials

dalchina, Nov 10, 2017
  9. Thanks again dalchina. I have the automatic updates witched on and so I am now wondering why my 'build' wasn't up-to-date and I ended up having to do it manually.

Am I correct in thinking that I will benefit from leaving the Controlled Folder Access option switched on?

Thanks again.

10. dalchina New Member
    - from that tutorial. I believe if you have a 3rd party AV the function is disabled as it relies on Defender's real time scan.

Clearly the degree of protection depends on what the app accesses and which folders are protected.

I have a program which whitelists programs- thus any new (unapproved) program running results in a prompt for approval. That's more comprehensive.

Whatever level of protection you use within Windows, there's going to be a way bad things can happen. We constantly encourage people to use disk imaging routinely so you have a second chance to recover without technical help. E.g. Macrium Reflect (free).

========================
    As to the FCU- major builds are rolled out over 2-3 months with priority given to systems likely to have no issues (at least that's what MS is said to try to do).

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Controlled Folder Access

1. Controlled Folder Access - Similar Threads - Controlled Folder Access

2. controlled folder access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    controlled folder access: When trying to open Controlled Folder Access, a window opened that said the IT administrator had restricted access to this page. The computer is my personal PC and I have no IT Administrator. How do I retrieve access to this page?...
  3. controlled folder access

in Windows 10 Customization
    controlled folder access: When trying to open Controlled Folder Access, a window opened that said the IT administrator had restricted access to this page. The computer is my personal PC and I have no IT Administrator. How do I retrieve access to this page?...
  4. controlled folder access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    controlled folder access: My real-time protection, cloud-delivered protection, automatic sample submission, tamper protections all are off. I try to on it. but it doesn't work. It says to on the controlled folder access. but when I try to on that option. it doesn't work. It says, "protects files,...
  5. Controlled Folder Access

Controlled Folder Access: Hi. I've been using Controlled Folder Access recently but I'm having a problem getting one application to change/create files. I use doPDF8 to create PDF files, but when CFA is active, it won't save my work. The notice explaining that something has tried accessing the folder...
  6. CONTROLLED FOLDER ACCESS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CONTROLLED FOLDER ACCESS: MY CONTOLLED FOLDER ACCESS WILL NOT TURN ON https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/controlled-folder-access/7c2fdde9-b968-47ee-88b5-b8411d7e02b9
  7. Controlled Folder Access

Controlled Folder Access: Why is Win 10 suddenly blocking access to all games in my STEAM folder? I have to constantly add each and every game I access to the add access in controlled folders. I understand that I can turn it off (which I don't want to do). I have already given permission for...
  8. Controlled Folder Access

Controlled Folder Access: Trying to use Controlled Folder access on a couple of machines. I am running into an issue where after about a day defender notifications no longer appear in the action center nor are they logged by defender in event viewer. If i look in event viewer at the defender...
  9. Controlled folder access

Controlled folder access: For some reason, this little pop up saying controlled folder access blocked c:\Program and involves Dropbox, I have no idea what this means or how to make it stop, why does it keep popping up? Is it bad?...
  10. Controlled folder access

Controlled folder access: For the last week the controlled folder access is blocking my Quicken program from updating or downloading anything. When I click on the notice it takes me to the allow app but when I open that to choose to allow app nothing is there! I really need to use my Quicken. How do...