Windows 10: Convert dual boot install to normal boot

Discus and support Convert dual boot install to normal boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After several weeks of testing I'm ready to go full on Windows 10 and want to get rid of Windows 7 but I have some partitioning issues I want to clean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Deiviejr, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Deiviejr Win User

Convert dual boot install to normal boot

After several weeks of testing I'm ready to go full on Windows 10 and want to get rid of Windows 7 but I have some partitioning issues I want to clean up. I currently have Windows 7 on drive 0 (360 GB) and Windows 10 on drive 1 (500 GB). Both are SATA drives and RAID is enabled in the bios but not active.

What I think I'd like to do is simply swap the drives physically so that Drive 0 has my current Windows 10 install on it and make it primary boot active etc. The drive with Windows 7 on it would become drive 1 and I would delete the Windows 7 partition and re-partition it with a clean empty partition just for extra space.

My first question is does anyone see any issues with swapping the drives as I've outlined?

Second question, any advantage to using this drive configuration in a RAID setup?

Thanks!!!

:)

Deiviejr, Jun 15, 2015

2. Win 10 clean install on existing/added partition

You can't do this. The upgrade is only allowed as an upgrade. If you want to dual-boot, you have to go to the store and purchase a copy of Windows 10. Upgrades aren't allowed to be converted into dual-boot situations.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jun 15, 2015
  3. Windows 10 in continual repair loop after MS update

I'm hopeful it will work for you as it has for me many times when all else has been tried. It basically creates a new boot manager and seeing the old install knits it into a Dual Boot as is standard. Then if the old install is functional beyond it's old
    boot files, it will normally start and run. If so then with UEFI it only requires setting the old install as the default in Dual Boot menu, deleting the rescue install's partition and recovering back the space. In Legacy one must additionally check the System
    partition is not the partition being deleted or move it first. Later you can remove the Dual Boot menu in EasyBCD or System Configuration Boot tab.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jun 15, 2015
  4. Gary Win User

You can just physically swap the drives as you posted and the just format the drive with Windows 7 on it and use it for storage or a backup drive. I do not see the advantage of using Raid in this situation. You might want to format the Windows 7 drive first.

5. Deiviejr Win User
    Ok cool. Thanks for the vote of confidence there Gary *Smile I think what I'll do is move the Windows 10 drive to the first SATA position (drive 0) and leave the other drive disconnected to make sure I can boot without it. I'm still concerned that Windows 10's dual boot code is gonna rain on my parade. If everything goes ok then I'll hook the Windows 7 drive up and re-partition it.

Thanks!

Deiviejr, Jun 15, 2015
  6. Edwin New Member
    You shouldn't necessarily have to swap drives,
    You could delete W7 from the boot loader and format the partition; Windows 10 should boot by default.

Convert dual boot install to normal boot [​IMG]

Convert dual boot install to normal boot [​IMG]

Edwin, Jun 15, 2015
  7. Deiviejr Win User
    I kinda figured that was possible but what about the boot order in the bios? Does it matter? I.E. would I need to modify it?

Deiviejr, Jun 15, 2015
  8. Edwin New Member

Doesn't matter. You'll only have one bootable OS, it'll default to that one.

Edwin, Jun 15, 2015
  9. Deiviejr Win User
    Sweet! I'll give it a shot!

Deiviejr, Jun 15, 2015
  10. Edwin New Member
    Make sure you have your backups in order! *Smile

Edwin, Jun 15, 2015
  11. meebers Win User
    I have W8.1 and W10 on separate SSD's on the same desktop. I swap them in and out as needed, don't have both of them inserted at the same time. I also have a HD that I use as a data drive. When I swap out the SSD's and if I don't remember to go into BIOS and select the boot drive, the computer will attempt to boot from the , non bootable, data drive. Right now it defaults to Sata0, the data drive if the previously selected ssd is not present. I was thinking like the OP and was going to swap the sata cables so that the data drive is on connection sata2. Win8.1 on sata0 and W10 on sata1. Hoping that this will eliminate the need to go to bios every time I swap. But you are saying this is not necessary? Tx

meebers, Jun 15, 2015
  12. Kyhi Win User
    Your case is not the same as the OP - but in your case you can setup the default boot order in your bios setting

and yes I would make the data disk the highest sata port number - do not forget the sata CD/DVD

13. Deiviejr Win User

So there was one wrinkle. Only one drive can be marked as "System" and that's where boot is handled regardless. In my case it was the Windows 7 drive. I tried disabling the SATA controller for that drive and sure enough it would not boot the Windows 10 drive. What I had to do was run the REPAIR option off my install disk and choose "ADVANCED" then "AUTOMATIC REPAIR - Fix problems that keep Windows from loading" and viola! It marked the Windows 10 partition as SYSTEM and after reboot it loaded normally.

Then I re-enabled SATA 0 and only then did I delete the old Windows 7 partitions off the old drive and re-partition it with a clean NTFS for data Convert dual boot install to normal boot :)

Now I have a 100% Windows 10 machine Convert dual boot install to normal boot :) Thanks for the help guys!

Deiviejr, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Convert dual boot install to normal boot - Similar Threads - Convert dual boot

2. Bitlocker installed with a dual boot.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bitlocker installed with a dual boot.: Hi everyone,I have recently made my laptop a dual bootable commuter. Having windows 10 as default on it already, I installed Ubuntu.But after I did the install both my hard drive HDD & solid state drive SSD now are Bitlocker encrypted. I have never heard about "Bitlocker"...
  3. Windows installation for dual boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows installation for dual boot: Hello to everyone, I have UEFI based laptop HP Envy 17J015SR. I wanted to install Windows 7 and Windows 10 to my laptop in order to use advantages of both systems. I have both operating systems license and i have created installation drives for both sustems separately by...
  4. Dual Boot Installation, & Migration

Dual Boot Installation, & Migration: Greetings, my username is and I used to be a member of the seven forums and this one as well. This serves as my first post given it must have been a long time since I posted and my account is no longer on here. The reason for this post is I have a new M.2 disk, and my OS is...
  5. Windows boot screen installer Dual boot

Windows boot screen installer Dual boot: When I saw this I instantly force shut down and booted my mxlinux. All the files were safe of both windows and Linux. This problem occured after I ran a command that was supposed to fix the problem of me having different time in Linux and window on dual boot. The command:...
  6. dual boot

in Windows 10 Customization
    dual boot: how do i remove a dual boot to make it single boot system w/Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-boot/1f4d89b9-3e50-4e91-97b5-f8589935661c
  7. Dual Booting

Dual Booting: I have Windows 10 set in msconfig as my default operating system. When I turn on the computer I get the black Boot Manager screen and if I want Windows 7 I have to use the up arrow and hit enter. my question is how do you get that blue screen with both operating systems in a...
  8. Convert dual boot disk into single OS

Convert dual boot disk into single OS: Greetings all. May I ask for a bit of sanity check please. I have a PC running two Windows 10 OS's on two separate partitions. Windows asks me which one I want to run when booting up. I now want to remove one OS and recover its space. If I understand correctly I need to:...
  9. Convert dual boot to single boot

Convert dual boot to single boot: I currently have a dual boot (separate drives) of Win 10 Pro and the Win 10 Insider. I'm considering dropping the Insider and only having my production Win 10 Pro. I had the Insider versions to test my recording studio software and hardware but that is no longer necessary...
  10. Dual Boot

Dual Boot: This is a two part question, and please note I do not have Win10 myself. In fact I do not have direct access to the computer I am talking about although I do have the full technical details of it, including all drivers, etc. Firstly, If Win10 is already installed on a...