Windows 10: Convert ESD file to WIM using DISM in Windows 10

Discus and support Convert ESD file to WIM using DISM in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Convert ESD file to WIM using DISM in Windows 10 [img] Information Servicing an offline image, mounting an image, committing changes, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by lx07, Oct 12, 2017.

1. lx07 Win User

Convert ESD file to WIM using DISM in Windows 10

How to: Convert ESD file to WIM using DISM in Windows 10

Convert ESD file to WIM using DISM in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Servicing an offline image, mounting an image, committing changes, it all sounds a bit complicated to an average Windows user. However, it's just geek speak meaning modifying default Windows install image, the install.wim file. It is a straight forward procedure. When changes have been committed (written, saved) to image, the modified install.wim can be used to deploy Windows or to replace original install.wim on existing install media.

Servicing an offline image is done with DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management), a native Windows tool. DISM command options allow all kind of changes, changing the way Windows will be installed. Drivers can be added or removed, language packs applied to create a multilingual Windows install media, Windows Updates applied to get a new Windows installation to be up to date straight after installation, and so on.

A default Windows install media created with Windows Media Creation Tool (from here on MCT) contains an encrypted and compressed install.esd file instead of install.wim file. An MCT ISO is fully functional, the official way chosen by Microsoft to deliver Windows 10 install media. Windows has no issues in installing from an ESD file, but to service it offline the ESD file needs to be decrypted and converted to WIM format. If you try to mount an ESD file as offline image, you will get an error:

This tutorial will show how to use DISM to convert an ESD based MCT install media to WIM format. The same method can of course be used to convert any other ESD file to WIM, too

Contents [/i] Use links below to go to any step, back button of your browser to return to this list.

[table][tr][td]Step One:[/td] [td]Preparations[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Step Two:[/td] [td]Convert ESD to WIM[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Step Three:[/td] [td]Create updated ISO[/td] [/tr] [/table]

Step One [/i] Preparations
    1.1) Create a folder on hard disk, name it as you wish. In this example I use folder D:\ISO_Files. From here on D:\ISO_Files folder refers to whatever folder you set up for this

1.2) If you have MCT install media already on USB flash drive, copy \Sources\install.esd to D:\ISO_Files folder.

1.3) If you have a dual architecture USB install media, copy the install.esd file for correct bitversion to D:\ISO_Files. It is located in \x86\Sources folder for 32 bit Windows, and in \x64\Sources folder for 64 bit Windows

1.4) If you have MCT install media as an ISO image, mount the ISO as virtual DVD (right click ISO > select Mount) and copy its content (all files and folders from ISO) to D:\ISO_Files folder

Step Two [/i] Convert ESD to WIM
    2.1) Open an elevated PowerShell (tutorial)

2.2) Check which Windows editions the install.esd image contains with one of the following commands:

- If you copied an ESD file from USB to D:\ISO_Files as told in steps 1.2 or 1.3:

dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFileConvert ESD file to WIM using DISM in Windows 10 :D:\ISO_Files\install.esd

- If you copied ISO contents to D:\ISO_Files as told in step 1.4:

dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFileConvert ESD file to WIM using DISM in Windows 10 :D:\ISO_Files\Sources\install.esd

Note In case that your MCT ISO is dual architecture, the ISO contents you copied to D:\ISO_Files contains both 32 bit and 64 bit Windows images. In that case you need to change the above command accordingly:

To check editions in 32 bit install.esd:

dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFileConvert ESD file to WIM using DISM in Windows 10 :D:\ISO_Files\x86\Sources\install.esd

To check editions in 64 bit install.esd:

dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFileConvert ESD file to WIM using DISM in Windows 10 :D:\ISO_Files\x64\Sources\install.esd
    2.3) Note the index number for your preferred edition. In this example I want to use PRO edition, noting its index number 1:

2.3) Enter following command to convert ESD to WIM:

Code:
    2.4) Be sure to use correct SourceIndex number (green highlight in sample command in step 2.3 above)

2.5) Command sample in step 2.3 is valid only if you copied ISO contents from a single architecture (32 or 64 bit) MCT ISO image to D:\ISO_Files folder as told in step 1.4.

If you instead copied an ESD file alone from USB as told in steps 1.2 and 1.3, or if you copied contents of dual architecture ISO image in step 1.4, change SourceImageFile and DestinationImageFile paths (red highlight in sample command in step 2.3 above) accordingly:
    • If you copied an ESD file from USB to D:\ISO_Files as told in steps 1.2 or 1.3, both paths should be D:\ISO_Files\install.esd
    • If you copied dual architecture ISO contents to D:\ISO_Files as told in step 1.4, both paths should be
      D:\ISO_Files\x86\Sources\install.esd to convert 32 bit install.esd, or D:\ISO_Files\x64\Sources\install.esd to convert 64 bit install.esd.
    2.6) Convertion will take a few minutes. When done, you'll find both original install.esd and new install.wim file in D:\ISO_Files\Sources folder:

2.7) If you were working with MCT single bit architecture ISO content copied to D:\ISO_Files, continue from step 3.1

2.8) If you were working with MCT dual bit architecture ISO content copied to D:\ISO_Files, you should now repeat the process for the other not yet converted bit version. For instance if you have now converted the 64 bit install.esd, do the same for 32 bit version

2.9) If you were working with install.esd file copied from USB to D:\ISO_Files, delete the ESD file on USB Sources folder and replace it with new install.wim file

2.10) Before creating new ISO from ISO_Files folder, delete the install.esd file in Sources folder (or x86\Sources / x64\Sources)

Step Three [/i] Create updated ISO
    3.1) The D:\ISO_Files folder on HDD now contains all files needed to create an updated ISO image. See Part Five in following tutorial for instructions in creating the ISO: Create Windows 10 ISO image from Existing Installation Installation Upgrade Tutorials

That's it! If you have any issues with this, do not hesitate to post in this thread.

Kari

Related Tutorials

:)

2. How do I disable latest driver update automatic in Windows Update?

Convert the ESD to ISO using Decrypter or Run DISM and change when it says "WIM" to ESD. I would convert the ESD so you have a ISO that you can use in case of emergency

How To Convert Install.ESD To ISO File

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Oct 12, 2017
  3. ZBorus Win User
    DISM, Windows 10 Pro, and install.esd

The statement that DISM does not work with ESD format proved to be true in my case -- I figured out how to convert ESD to WIM and ran DISM with the WIM version (see command below), and it worked fine. For those of you who wish to know how to convert, look
    up 'ESDtoISO' for a utility to do so. Microsoft would do well to address the problems of DISM with the ESD format.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:WIM:F:\sources\Install.WIM:1 /limitaccess

ZBorus, Oct 12, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

Yes, OSCDIMG as told Part Five in the tutorial in question can be used not only to make custom ISO but also to make ISO from any USB flash drive or DVD containing any version and edition of Windows. It can sometimes be a useful feature.

5. D4ni3l Win User
    Hello

thanks for the tuto

typo mistake here : dism /Get-WimInfo /WinFile: => dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:

D4ni3l, Oct 15, 2017
  6. Kari Win User
    Typo fixed, thanks.

7. cereberus Win User
    Great tutorial, but it is worth noting if you spoof your browser to be an android device or use an android device, and go to

Download Windows 10

you can download the iso direct, and this has install.wim built in, not install.esd.

cereberus, Oct 17, 2017
  8. Cliff S New Member

I needed to recreate one today, and the tutorial worked great @Kari!!!(as usual)
    I know how important it is to follow your steps exactly, one recommendation, highlight:

As it took me a couple of tries to get it to work, as I somehow had eye to brain problems, catching those important steps for an ISO*Redface*Redface*Redface*Redface

Anyhow it works perfect:
    Code: Good morning . The time is 09:25 (9:25 AM) 33 days to go until your Birthday! PS D:\ISO_Files> >> dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFileConvert ESD file to WIM using DISM in Windows 10 :D:\ISO_Files\Sources\install.esd >> Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.16299.15 Details for image : D:\ISO_Files\Sources\install.esd Index : 1 Name : Windows 10 S Description : Windows 10 S Size : 15,748,508,043 bytes Index : 2 Name : Windows 10 S N Description : Windows 10 S N Size : 14,682,635,068 bytes Index : 3 Name : Windows 10 Home Description : Windows 10 Home Size : 15,567,580,753 bytes Index : 4 Name : Windows 10 Home N Description : Windows 10 Home N Size : 14,496,690,559 bytes Index : 5 Name : Windows 10 Home Single Language Description : Windows 10 Home Single Language Size : 15,569,063,438 bytes Index : 6 Name : Windows 10 Education Description : Windows 10 Education Size : 15,746,024,004 bytes Index : 7 Name : Windows 10 Education N Description : Windows 10 Education N Size : 14,680,122,009 bytes Index : 8 Name : Windows 10 Pro Description : Windows 10 Pro Size : 15,746,775,851 bytes Index : 9 Name : Windows 10 Pro N Description : Windows 10 Pro N Size : 14,680,828,085 bytes The operation completed successfully. PS D:\ISO_Files> dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFileConvert ESD file to WIM using DISM in Windows 10 :D:\ISO_Files\Sources\install.esd /SourceIndex:8 /DestinationImageFileConvert ESD file to WIM using DISM in Windows 10 :D:\ISO_Files\Sources\install.wim /Compress:Max /CheckIntegrity Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.16299.15 Exporting image [==========================100.0%==========================] The operation completed successfully. PS D:\ISO_Files>[/quote]

Cliff S, Oct 20, 2017
  9. Kari Win User
    In all its simplicity, here's that step in two screenshots:

BTW, I edited step 2.9 and added step 2.10 just now. Here's how 2.9 it was before edits:

And here 2.9 and 2.10 after edits:

Also worth to remember is that after ESD to WIM conversion, new ISO only contains a single edition which always has index number 1. Using your CODE sample as an example, you made W10 PRO single edition WIM from W10 multi edition ESD. In original ESD the PRO edition is / was index 8, in new WIM file it's index 1.

10. Cliff S New Member
    I just needed to do it to grab the Winre from a newer ESD ISO(the official one from the release date, instead of the one I had the Friday before).

Just so others know, you need to do these steps if you wish to replace missing or corrupt Windows system files and libraries(.dll)(not so sure about replacing folders though).

*InfoIt must come from a Install .wim and not .esd

Cliff S, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Convert ESD file to WIM using DISM in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Convert ESD file

2. DISM error 0x800f081f couldn't restore health with both the .esd and .wim

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DISM error 0x800f081f couldn't restore health with both the .esd and .wim: Can't restore health no matter what I try says "couldn't find initial files".DISM log https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dism-error-0x800f081f-couldnt-restore-health-with/90cfacfc-f588-4835-9b27-846c14901629
  3. Data WIM using DISM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Data WIM using DISM: Dear Support Team,Can anyone guide me how to add Data Wim in Answer file using Windows System Image Manager Windows 10 with real life example. I was able to create Data Wim using DISM but got stuck at further steps....
  4. Data WIM using DISM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Data WIM using DISM: Dear Support Team,Can anyone guide me how to add Data Wim in Answer file using Windows System Image Manager Windows 10 with real life example. I was able to create Data Wim using DISM but got stuck at further steps....
  5. Data WIM using DISM

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. DISM, Export WIM>ESD (recovery) > Crashes (0x80070008)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DISM, Export WIM>ESD (recovery) > Crashes (0x80070008): Well, got interesting error with latest Windows 10 ADK, crashes while exporting image from WIM to ESD using /compress:recovery switch, same happens also with wimlib and solution seems the same (Figured perhaps this helps someone who might have same error). HW information:...
  7. Iso, esd or wim?

in Windows 10 Support
    Iso, esd or wim?: Wish to correct a Source files missing problem, so need to download an ISO. Installed is W10 1511 version 10586.164 Pro.....how can I tell whether it is ESD or WIM? I know that downloads are as following.....M$ Media is ESD and TechNet is WIM. 44127
  8. Create a wim or esd file with no volume image

in Windows 10 Support
    Create a wim or esd file with no volume image: [img] Hi Using Windows ADK 10 v1511, it is possible to create a wim or esd file with no volume image so that I can add them later? Thanks Bye 42214
  9. Stuck on converting ESD to WIM File using a script tool

in Windows 10 Support
    Stuck on converting ESD to WIM File using a script tool: Hi, I'm facing difficulty while trying to convert .ESD to .WIM File I'm using a script that belongs to below source: How to convert install.esd to install.wim Mark The Tech DISM giving me the following error when reaching at 84%> error 605 the specified buffer...
  10. convert wim file to vdh

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    convert wim file to vdh: I have several custom wim files each containing bootable windows 7 images plus applications how do I convert these to a format to run as virtual PC's in VMware or Virtual box. There are many solutions out there (notably using a convert-windowsimage .ps1 in powershell) but...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dism esd

2. hw to convert .esd to .wim