Windows 10: Convert legacy bios to uefi on old fashioned install

Discus and support Convert legacy bios to uefi on old fashioned install in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I know to convert legacy bios to uefi using mbr2gpt IF the legacy bios has a separate system partition but it does not work for old fashioned legacy... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cereberus, Aug 3, 2018.

1. cereberus Win User

Convert legacy bios to uefi on old fashioned install

I know to convert legacy bios to uefi using mbr2gpt IF the legacy bios has a separate system partition but it does not work for old fashioned legacy bios installs where there is not a separate partition.

I also know how to do it the older way with Macrium Reflect i.e. image backup C drive, clean install in uefi, overwrite C drive with image backup and use Macrium's fix Windows boot problems link.

Done that several times but always where the boot files are in a separate partition.

I want to try that with an old fashioned legacy bios install i.e. no system partition but I cannot work out how to actually create an old fashioned install in the first place.

Anybody know how to do this?

Edit - I am wondering if I create a drive with only one partition, and install to that, it would not create a system partition as normal.

Alternatively have four primary partitions (three small, one large) and then it is not possible to create a system partition?

Thoughts?

:)

cereberus, Aug 3, 2018

2. Is there a way to convert my existing installed Windows 10 Legacy bios to UEFI?

Hi guys, is there a way to convert my OS's Legacy BIOS to UEFI? Reason for this absurdity is I want to dual boot Ubuntu 15 and whenever I disable the EFI setting in my BIOS my usb installer is not detected (obviously). I've searched about it and it leads
    me to this article https://social.technet.microsoft.co...erting-windows-bios-installation-to-uefi.aspx I just want to know if there are other steps before I follow the article. Thanks in advance.

I wanted to use a VM but my rig can't handle such.

bon2x060391, Aug 3, 2018
  3. dac81048 Win User
    Problem Regarding Bios Change from UEFI to Legacy

I have hp pavilion p045tx with windows 10 pro. I recently install Ubuntu with windows 10 so for that I convert my bios setting from UEFI to Legacy mode for install third party software like wireless Driver and all in Ubuntu.
    But after every restart the bios setting change to default and that is to UEFI mode and that will cause an problem of no OS detect. Every time I have to go to bios setting and enable the legacy mode to start my OS. Can anyone suggest me what to do in this
    case.

dac81048, Aug 3, 2018
  4. 72westy Win User

Legacy to UEFI

I'm debating moving to UEFI form my now legacy BIOS (Award Software Int.) the mother board is a GA-Z68XP-UD3 rev1.0 on the the following link it shows a UEFI BIOS U1J )UEFI BIOS)

GA-Z68XP-UD3 (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

Currently I'm running the legacy F10 BIOS. Does installing the UEFI BIOS automatically take care of everything to get to the UEFI BIOS? Installing the UEFI BIOS following the instructions using the Q-flash method https://www.gigabyte.com/webpage/20/HowToReflashBIOS.html

What's steps do I take and in what order?

Much appreciated

72westy, Aug 3, 2018
Thema:

1. Convert legacy bios to uefi on old fashioned install - Similar Threads - Convert legacy bios

2. Convert an existing Windows 10 Installation from Legacy BIOS to UEFI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert an existing Windows 10 Installation from Legacy BIOS to UEFI: Convert an existing Windows 10 Installation from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without using 3rd party software. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/convert-an-existing-windows-10-installation-from/d58e3a80-2d7b-46d5-af56-1fc7958ac53c
  3. Convert an existing Windows 10 Installation from Legacy BIOS to UEFI

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Convert an existing Windows 10 Installation from Legacy BIOS to UEFI: Convert an existing Windows 10 Installation from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without using 3rd party software. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/convert-an-existing-windows-10-installation-from/d58e3a80-2d7b-46d5-af56-1fc7958ac53c
  4. Bios swap legacy to uefi

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bios swap legacy to uefi: Motherboard/cpu upgraded ready for win 11. How to reinstall win 10 digital license to use new uefi bios. No facility for doing this. only gives option for retail licence install of win 10.trying to get system ready for win 11 but this is an obstacle to installation...
  5. Legacy To UEFI BIOS problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Legacy To UEFI BIOS problem: I have a DELL Optilex 990 so when I go to my bios I go to Boot Sequence then I switch to UEFI and the Boot Sequence is empty. When I boot up my Device it says no bootable devices found. How do I fix this. Please tell me the file path to Windows Boot Manager because I still...
  6. Convert UEFI to Legacy for Windows 7 installation

Convert UEFI to Legacy for Windows 7 installation: I have Ideapad 330s with Windows 10 64-bit pre-installed out of box in UEFI mode and GPT partition style . i tried to boot Windows 7 64 bit GPT style via Bootable USB but it shows an error0x000000d : an error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data ....
  7. Convert Mid-2011 iMac from UEFI to Legacy BIOS.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Convert Mid-2011 iMac from UEFI to Legacy BIOS.: Hello! I have a mid-2011 iMac with which I am dual booting windows 10 and macOS high sierra. Since it is not compatible with bootcamp, I made a bootable usb drive and used that instead. This all worked very well except for that Windows does not recognize my sound card. I...
  8. BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?

BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?: My Windows 10 says its BIOS mode is Legacy with C drive partition as MBR. Is it worth switching to UEFI mode with C drive as GPT partition? Why does it seem so difficult to install to UEFI mode with GPT partition? You do not get an option to choose when you install windows 10...
  9. Convert legacy bios to uefi on old fashioned install

Convert legacy bios to uefi on old fashioned install: I know to convert legacy bios to uefi using mbr2gpt IF the legacy bios has a separate system partition but it does not work for old fashioned legacy bios installs where there is not a separate partition. I also know how to do it the older way with Macrium Reflect i.e. image...
  10. EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS.......

EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS.......: This weekend I will try to do a clean install of Win 10 again, from Win 7. Have to try som new methods to see if I can get my computer running flawlessly with Windows 10. I will use the clean install tutorials from this forum. I hav two options, with or without UEFI...