Convert legacy bios to uefi on old fashioned install

Discus and support Convert legacy bios to uefi on old fashioned install in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I know to convert legacy bios to uefi using mbr2gpt IF the legacy bios has a separate system partition but it does not work for old fashioned legacy... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cereberus, Aug 3, 2018.

1. cereberus Win User

I know to convert legacy bios to uefi using mbr2gpt IF the legacy bios has a separate system partition but it does not work for old fashioned legacy bios installs where there is not a separate partition.

I also know how to do it the older way with Macrium Reflect i.e. image backup C drive, clean install in uefi, overwrite C drive with image backup and use Macrium's fix Windows boot problems link.

Done that several times but always where the boot files are in a separate partition.

I want to try that with an old fashioned legacy bios install i.e. no system partition but I cannot work out how to actually create an old fashioned install in the first place.

Anybody know how to do this?

Edit - I am wondering if I create a drive with only one partition, and install to that, it would not create a system partition as normal.

Alternatively have four primary partitions (three small, one large) and then it is not possible to create a system partition?

Thoughts?

:)

cereberus, Aug 3, 2018
  2. bon2x060391 Win User

Is there a way to convert my existing installed Windows 10 Legacy bios to UEFI?

Hi guys, is there a way to convert my OS's Legacy BIOS to UEFI? Reason for this absurdity is I want to dual boot Ubuntu 15 and whenever I disable the EFI setting in my BIOS my usb installer is not detected (obviously). I've searched about it and it leads
    me to this article https://social.technet.microsoft.co...erting-windows-bios-installation-to-uefi.aspx I just want to know if there are other steps before I follow the article. Thanks in advance.

I wanted to use a VM but my rig can't handle such.

bon2x060391, Aug 3, 2018
  3. dac81048 Win User
    Problem Regarding Bios Change from UEFI to Legacy

I have hp pavilion p045tx with windows 10 pro. I recently install Ubuntu with windows 10 so for that I convert my bios setting from UEFI to Legacy mode for install third party software like wireless Driver and all in Ubuntu.
    But after every restart the bios setting change to default and that is to UEFI mode and that will cause an problem of no OS detect. Every time I have to go to bios setting and enable the legacy mode to start my OS. Can anyone suggest me what to do in this
    case.

dac81048, Aug 3, 2018
  4. 72westy Win User

Legacy to UEFI

I'm debating moving to UEFI form my now legacy BIOS (Award Software Int.) the mother board is a GA-Z68XP-UD3 rev1.0 on the the following link it shows a UEFI BIOS U1J )UEFI BIOS)

GA-Z68XP-UD3 (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

Currently I'm running the legacy F10 BIOS. Does installing the UEFI BIOS automatically take care of everything to get to the UEFI BIOS? Installing the UEFI BIOS following the instructions using the Q-flash method https://www.gigabyte.com/webpage/20/HowToReflashBIOS.html

What's steps do I take and in what order?

Much appreciated

72westy, Aug 3, 2018
Thema:

1. Convert legacy bios to uefi on old fashioned install - Similar Threads - Convert legacy bios

2. Windows 10 Build 17134.228 is now available, download offline installers

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Build 17134.228 is now available, download offline installers: Today is Patch Tuesday and Microsoft has just rolled out Windows 10 KB4343909. In case you’re planning to upgrade the PC manually, the direct download links for Windows 10 KB4343909 are also available. Windows 10 KB4343909 is available for devices running version 1803 and it...
  3. Google Chrome refuses to install on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Google Chrome refuses to install on Windows 10: My Google Chrome was working fine yesterday, but I haven't been able to get it to load any webpages today. Meanwhile, my internet explorer has been working fine. I am not using a proxy server, so that box was already unchecked. I didn't want to make too many changes on the...
  4. Reset Microsoft account email and password ...... (No access to old info)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Reset Microsoft account email and password ...... (No access to old info): Microsoft account issues I do not have access to any of the old info .. that IP is closed and not accessible any longer....
  5. danger in transfering whole user directory from old PC to new PC

danger in transfering whole user directory from old PC to new PC: Are there any problems if I copy and paste the entire user directory from an old WIN 10 system to a new Win 10 system - different hardware...
  6. loss of data after installing Windows 10

loss of data after installing Windows 10: I recently installed Windows 10 on my PC which had been using Windows 7. I expected all the data and programs to migrate with the installation. The result was that all the programs made it, but all data is lost, and I am trying to get the data back from my Carbonite backup....
  7. E6410 Dell windows 10 clean install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    E6410 Dell windows 10 clean install: Windows 10 x64 pro on DELL E6410 clean UEFI install did not shutdown laptop properly. Shutdown turns off all the devices but still the power button and fan on laptop continued to run, untill manually force stopped. Reinstalled win10 using legacy usb option, in regular bios...
  8. Clean Install of OS

Clean Install of OS: I have a Dell PC that is running very slowly on W10 After all usual stuff, clearing junk, defrag etc., still not good enough - as its currently on an old HDD, going to install an SSD for the OS. Been advised to do a clean install rather than clone across an OS that might...
  9. Can`t install any .msi file

Can`t install any .msi file: Can`t install any .msi file. Shows this message: [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/cant-install-any-msi-file/6635c606-200c-48c1-889c-5733f08becc9
  10. Windows boot loop problem ("attempting to recover installation" "restoring your previous...

Windows boot loop problem ("attempting to recover installation" "restoring your previous...: So I've been having this boot loop problem for two days, lenovo logo shows up and then it says "attempting to recover installation" and then quickly switch to saying "restoring your previous version of windows" and the pc restart again. I've managed to get into windows by...