Windows 10: Convert Non UEFI to UEFI?

Discus and support Convert Non UEFI to UEFI? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I will be replacing (Upgrading) the motherboard (and CPU) in my desktop in the near future. The current Win 10 is not UEFI. Can it be converted to UEFI... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by fireberd, Nov 11, 2016.

1. fireberd Win User

Convert Non UEFI to UEFI?

I will be replacing (Upgrading) the motherboard (and CPU) in my desktop in the near future. The current Win 10 is not UEFI. Can it be converted to UEFI (GPT) or do I have to do a "clean" install to get UEFI? I assume the answer is NO, but wanted to check.

:)

fireberd, Nov 11, 2016

2. Windows 10 Security Update Bricked my AMD based PC and unable to re-install Windows 10 Pro due to GPT partition

With this in mind I could convert the disk to MBR, then install Windows and all applications.

NOT

If he has UEFI GPT, you are not converting to a BIOS based PC with a MBR.

seahawks65, Nov 11, 2016
  3. Ruth Buruga, Nov 11, 2016
  4. pbcopter Win User

pbcopter, Nov 11, 2016
  5. OldMike65 Win User
    There are some videos on U Tube, that can give you some idea's too. It can be done, just make a complete image backup 1st, using a program like Macrium Reflect.
    Convert Windows 7/8/10 Installation from Legacy to UEFI Without Data Loss (Simpler Method) - YouTube

OldMike65, Nov 11, 2016
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

As previous poster says take backup -- you can't REVERSE the process without losing data !!!!!!!

Macrium Free is as good as any and it works perfectly.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 11, 2016
  7. topgundcp Win User
    There's a difference if you want to convert a data only disk. For Windows OS, the boot up process is also need to be modified.
    To convert from MBR to GPT for disk containing Windows 10. Follow this link:
    Converting MBR to GPT for EFI boot? - Windows 10 Forums

NOTE: Since you are replacing the MB. You also need to re-activate Windows

topgundcp, Nov 11, 2016
  8. fireberd Win User

I have a paid version of Macrium Reflect. I make frequent full disc backups. That part is not a problem. I'll give the Macrium version a try and see what happens. I'll report back. Thanks.

I did make a USB Win 10 install media, using the media creation tool, in case a clean install is needed.

fireberd, Nov 11, 2016
  9. fireberd Win User
    Topgun, tried your procedure. After doing the "C" partition swap with Macrium and auto repair by Windows, I'm back to it showing the NTFS disc. I was going to just restore it with the Macrium image that I made before starting this procedure but it shows the disc as GPT, even though the partitions show as NTFS?????

Thanks/Jack

Here is my discs, after doing the procedure. Disc 0 is Win 10 Pro (my production system).

Convert Non UEFI to UEFI? [​IMG]

And this is what Macrium shows, if I wanted to restore the image to disc 1

Convert Non UEFI to UEFI? [​IMG]

fireberd, Nov 11, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can have NTFS partitions on a GPT disk. That's the standard Windows 10 filesystem. GPT and MBR are two different methods of defining the partitions on a hard drive. The partitions defined, however, can be any filesystem that Windows supports. Most UEFI firmware require the system partition (the partition the computer boots from - not the partition containing the operating system) to be FAT32. Your EFI System Partition is, in reality, FAT32 with just a different identifier that labels it as an EFI system partition. The operating system on all Windows 10 computers using the Windows 10 default file system are NTFS partitions regardless of if they are MBR or GPT disks.

NOTE: Microsoft uses backwards (in my opinion) terminology when describing the functions of the partition. The system partition refers to the partition containing the files that the BIOS or UEFI reads to boot the computer from. The boot partition refers to the partition that is loaded containing the operating system once the files from the system partition are processed. On an UEFI computer running Windows with a GPT drive the system partition should be FAT32 and the boot partition should be NTFS.

NavyLCDR, Nov 11, 2016
  11. fireberd Win User
    So, the conversion was successful?

fireberd, Nov 11, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Looks like it.

NavyLCDR, Nov 11, 2016
  13. fireberd Win User

Topgun, I tried to "rep" you but it wouldn't let me. So thanks for the procedure.

fireberd, Nov 11, 2016
  14. topgundcp Win User
    No problem. Glad you got it sorted.

topgundcp, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Convert Non UEFI to UEFI? - Similar Threads - Convert Non UEFI

2. how to convert legacy to UEFI firmware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to convert legacy to UEFI firmware: is to safe to convert legacy to UEFI?i want to convert because of the windows 11 system requirement,how to convert it without data loss and without reinstalling os.help me to get rid out of this!!!...
  3. how to convert legacy to UEFI firmware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how to convert legacy to UEFI firmware: is to safe to convert legacy to UEFI?i want to convert because of the windows 11 system requirement,how to convert it without data loss and without reinstalling os.help me to get rid out of this!!!...
  4. how to convert legacy to UEFI firmware

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. How to convert BIOS TO UEFI

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to convert BIOS TO UEFI: Good evening folks. I have Lenovo Thick Pad T450. BIOS Legacy. How can l convert the BIOS to UEFI? without reinstalling windows?Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-convert-bios-to-uefi/f67fb0ed-5919-497e-a1c6-12fe56891b57
  6. UEFI boot VM's on non UEFI systems

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    UEFI boot VM's on non UEFI systems: Hi folks if you want to test such things as UEFI boot or even Secure boot on a VM running on older hardware that doesn't have UEFI boot it's still easily possible. On for example Linux host running KVM/QEMU a Windows VM ( This also works on Windows hosts running VMWare for...
  7. Installing win 10 home from usb UEFI or non UEFI?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing win 10 home from usb UEFI or non UEFI?: I will be installing win 10 home on a new ssd drive on a new system. I've read Brink's how to on downloading and installing from a bootable usb. Should I opt for a UEFI install or non UEFI? What precautions do I take to make sure my components are compatible with UEFI? Do I...
  8. How to clone Win10 (UEFI) installation to non-UEFI laptop?

How to clone Win10 (UEFI) installation to non-UEFI laptop?: Hello. I have my work laptop (main) with Windows 10 installation (UEFI, GPT) where all apps already installed and configured. Recently I was given an old notebook (secondary) with Windows 8.1 installation (legacy BIOS, non-UEFI, MBR). Is there more or less simple way to...
  9. UEFI VM in non UEFI machine - Yes its possible

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    UEFI VM in non UEFI machine - Yes its possible: Hi there Remember if you are using VMWARE you can try out a UEFI guest even if your HOST doesn't support it. In the configuration file set the following firmware="efi" That's it !!! Note you must do this BEFORE installing the VM - you can't change it...
  10. UEFI installation on non-UEFI system

UEFI installation on non-UEFI system: Hi there, I wanted to boot an existing Windows 10 install taken from a UEFI notebook into an older non-UEFI notebook and I only get a flashing cursor. Booted with an installation media and the automatic startup repair did not work. Browsing online I tried re-creating the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. convert non uefi to uefi boot