Windows 10: Convert Physical Disk to Windows to Go by VHD, Boot Error

Discus and support Convert Physical Disk to Windows to Go by VHD, Boot Error in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hey guys, I'm stuck in this dilemma and I would appreciate any help that would come. I'm sorry, I though that maybe since my problem is about Virtual... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Ryu, Aug 8, 2015.

1. RYU
    Ryu Win User

Convert Physical Disk to Windows to Go by VHD, Boot Error

Hey guys, I'm stuck in this dilemma and I would appreciate any help that would come.
    I'm sorry, I though that maybe since my problem is about Virtual Hard Disks then maybe this is the right section...
    Correct me if I'm wrong *Smile
    So here's the thing,

1. I have Windows 10 Pro, activated thanks to my activated windows 8.1 pro which I just updated. basically buying a new Win10 cd key is a no-go for me since Microsoft offers a free upgrade.

2. I tried to do a clean install of windows 8.1 on a vhd in a USB. then from my Windows 8.1 to go, I tried to upgrade it to Windows 10 and got the following error:
    a.) Windows cannot be installed in a Virtual Disk.
    b.) Windows cannot be installed in a Windows to Go Drive.
    So it seems that the only way to go is to convert my physical disk to a vhd and turn it into windows to go which I did using the diskpart procedure I fished out of the internet.

Create vdisk file=D:\Win2Go.vhd maximum=59000 I was going to install it in a 64 GB Flashdrive
    Select vdisk file=D:\Win2Go
    attach vdisk
    detail vdisk
    convert mbr
    create partition primary1
    format fs=ntfs label='Win2Go" quick
    Assign letter=L

And so I have a 64GB (almost) blank VHD. Now Using AOMEI Partition Assistant, I copied my entire C: Drive to the Virtual Disk. then transferred my VHD to my 64GB Flashdrive.
    then I created boot entries for my Flashdrive using BCDBOOT.

L:\>Windows\System32> BCDBOOT.EXE L:\Windows /s E: E: is my Flashdrive drive letter
    and it says that boot files have been updated.

PROBLEM: When I boot from the Flasdrive, Windows Boot Loader is seen (the one with the windows logo and circling little circles XD) but then I always get the "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE" error!

I tried updating the boot files of the VHD itself using BCDBOOT. I also tried to fixMBR, fixboot and rebuildbcd...
    Error still exists. What am I doing wrong? Sorry for the lengthy details, I'm still trying this stuff out *Smile thanks in advanced for the reply.

:)

2. Windows 10 VHD Native Boot Installation--Officially Supported?

I apologize for not seeing your reference and leaving an incomplete solution ;

Not sure where you are at in this so I am providing a breakdown with an overview.

It appears they do not mention Windows 10, however the mention Windows 8 to using the .vhdx file format.
    Hope this helps:

I am just now getting to exploring the use of VHDs for booting some Virtual machines.

I have included a more complete background on VHDs for you and others that maybe exploring this topic.

• The local disk must have at least two partitions: a system partition that contains the Windows 8 boot-environment files and Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store, and a partition to store the VHD file. The .vhd file format is supported for native boot on a
      computer with a Windows® 7 boot environment, but you will have to update the system partition to a Windows 8 environment to use the .vhdx file format. For more information about how to add a Windows 8 boot environment for native VHD boot, see

Download and install Windows PE (WinPE) so you can boot from a USB flash drive or an external USB hard drive

• The local disk partition that contains the VHD file must have enough free disk space for expanding a dynamic VHD to its maximum size and for the page file created when booting the VHD. The page file is created outside the VHD file, unlike with a virtual
      machine where the page file is contained inside the VHD.

This was from a recent Article :

Understanding Virtual Hard Disks with Native Boot
    Last Updated: 5/4/2016;

VHDs with native boot are frequently used in the following scenarios:

• Using disk-management tools to create and attach a VHD for offline image management. You can attach a VHD by using the
      Attach vdisk command which activates the VHD so that it appears on the host as a disk drive instead of as a .vhd file.

• Mounting reference VHD images on remote shares for image servicing.

• Maintaining and deploying a common reference VHD image to execute in either virtual or physical computers.

• Configuring VHD files for native boot without requiring a full parent installation.

• Configuring a computer to boot multiple local VHD files that contain different application workloads, without requiring separate disk partitions.

• Using Windows Deployment Services (WDS) for network deployment of VHD images to target computers for native boot.

• Managing desktop image deployment.
    Deploy Windows on a VHD (Native Boot)

Last Updated: 7/20/2016

Create and deploy virtual hard disks (VHDs) with native-boot capabilities to test devices or to manage multiple operating systems on a device without re-partitioning the drive.

Creating VHDs
    You can create virtual hard disks (.vhd or .vhdx files) using the DiskPart tool or the Disk Management Microsoft Management Console (MMC). You can create .vhdx files from PowerShell when you have the Hyper-V Manager Role installed.

You can attach the VHD so that it appears as a system drive that you can partition, format, and apply your operating system to.

Deploying VHDs
    You can deploy a supported Windows image to an attached VHD using disk-imaging software such as the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool. The VHD can then be copied to one or more systems either to run in a virtual machine or for native
    boot.

For more information, see
    Download and install Windows PE (WinPE) so you can boot from a USB flash drive or an external USB hard drive

On first native boot, the specialize configuration pass runs and computer-specific information is applied to the Windows operating system on the VHD. The instance of the VHD cannot be copied onto another system or run in a virtual machine after
    the specialize configuration pass is completed. The original VHD that has a Windows image can continue to be copied and deployed to multiple computers, if the image has already been prepared for installation using the Sysprep tool with the
    /specialize option. You can also use an answer file to prepare the image for installation by using the Microsoft-Windows-Deployment | Generalize setting. For more information about the
    specialize and generalize configuration passes, see

Windows Setup Configuration Passes
    . For more information about how to use the Generalize setting in an answer file, see the Windows® Unattended Setup Reference.

The Windows Deployment Server role supports deployment of VHD image files in addition to .wim files. Windows Deployment Server automates the network deployment of VHD images for native-boot usage. Windows Deployment Server can be used to copy the VHD image
    to a local partition, and to configure the local Boot Configuration Data (BCD) for native boot from the VHD.

RandyKielan, Aug 8, 2015
  3. How to upgrade Windows 7 MBR installation on an UEFI motherboard

I decided to give it another try and I got it working with Windows 7 now booting from my GPT initialized disk and UEFI enabled. All I had to do is disable Secure Boot and my computer enabled CSM, which is a Legacy compatibility mode that enables Windows
    7 to work.

It is just finishing the install now.

There is a way to convert your disk to GPT using a live Ubuntu disk that I have used before, that does not require wiping it. But I would still recommend that you backup the drive first, as the potential of data load is pretty significant.

GPT is a better way to go, as it is more robust, so it may be worthwhile, even if you stay with Windows 7.

EDIT: I was using a virtual hard disk, but the first time I used a .VHDX file, which Windows 7 could not read. Today I created a VHD file instead and it worked. The VHD means that only the hard disk is virtual and all of my other hardware is still used.
    This is also known as Native Boot. It allows me to minimize the amount of disk space used for testing such as this, as I create a dynamically expanding VHD file which only grows as needed, using as little disk space as possible.

Don Cuthbert, Aug 8, 2015
  4. RYU
    Ryu Win User

Well with a little bit more of nosing around, I found this great program that lets me convert my physical machine into a Windows-to-go drive. Its WinToUSB.
    Convert Physical Disk to Windows to Go by VHD, Boot Error [​IMG]

5. xbliss Win User
    Please do share how you used WinToUSB to convert a physical Drive + Partition Install to a WTG on VHD? Please share steps.

xbliss, Oct 11, 2015
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

That's a WINPE image -- I don't think that's what the OP wanted -- I think he wanted something that replicated Windows to Go -- a 100% Windows system.

Winpe is a bit of a cludge --it's useable as a recovery tool (although I prefer running a Windows VM from a bootable Linux system) - but in no way would you use it as a regular Windows system.

(If you want WINPE systems there's zillions of ways to make those).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 24, 2016
  7. ege914 Win User
    actually this topic helped me about other things so thank you

ege914, Feb 25, 2016
  8. xbliss Win User

Jimbo - How do / did you do that? Please detail it from the current context for use as a Recovery Tool.

Ege - Please do share what things you were able to do based on this topic?

xbliss, Jun 19, 2016
  9. cereberus Win User
    An easy way to create a vhd from a physical OS is to use Macrium Reflect Free to create image of a physical OS, then use its "image to vhd" functionality.

cereberus, Jul 6, 2016
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

1) Download the Media creation tool from the Ms site and create an ISO.

2) download Best Windows To Go Creator to create bootable Windows 10/8.1/8/7 USB drive!

3) IMPORTANT : Run the wintousb tool ON THE MACHINE YOUR ACTIVATED W10 system is running on. Point to the ISO image you created from the Ms media creation tool and use preferably an external SSD as the target for your Windows system.

4) Should take about 30 mins to run

5) Now boot from external SSD -- You've got nice activated W10 to Go !!!!.

6) Add programs / drivers for your choice. It's standard Windows so you don't need to fiddle around with the PE environment to add programs and features.

Note : USB3 will give better performance but USB2 is OK. If using an SSD or old laptop HDD for example use SATA-->USB2 (or better USB3) connector --cost only a few USD.

Doing it this way rather than using a VHD means that you don't need to have ANY working HDD's in the host machine. With a VHD you need at least a minimal OS to mount the VHD.

This Windows to Go is a full 100% working Windows system. !!! Ideal for an old SSD - it fits nicely on to an old 120GB SSD if you have one of those with plenty of spare storage space. Performance is just fine too --even when connected to a USB2 port.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 6, 2016
  11. xbliss Win User
    @jimbo - This is what I was asking about actually -

(although I prefer running a Windows VM from a bootable Linux system)

xbliss, Jul 12, 2016
  12. cereberus Win User
    With a little bit of work, you can go one stage futher and install multiple versions of OS eg 10 pro, 7 ultimate, 8.1 core etc.

Thanks to NavyLCDR for the tip (cannot find link immediately). He did it for a legacy bios install, and I refined it very slighty for a UEFI install (but all credit goes to NavyLCDR).

As an aside, if you activate your installation with a valid full retail key rather than using a digital licence, you can legally move usb drive to another pc.

Wintousb is quite clever - if you boot from drive on another pc, it reinstalls drivers (works well for 8/10 but a bit hit or miss for 7).

If you do not use a retail key, you have to activate on each new pc in normal ways.

cereberus, Jul 22, 2016
  13. RYU
    Ryu Win User

WinToUSB actually works for me *Smile Thank you very much!

Thema:

1. Convert Physical Disk to Windows to Go by VHD, Boot Error - Similar Threads - Convert Physical Disk

2. convert a VMDK into a VHD ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    convert a VMDK into a VHD ?: Is there any manual way to convert a VMDK to a VHD ?I have tried all the tools Starwind, Winimage, disk2vhd etc they all generate a VHD file but when I create a ne Virtual Computer & attach the disk none works.I get repeated errors "The virtual machine "New Virtual Machine"...
  3. Booting from VHD gives "INACCESIBLE BOOT DEVICE" error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Booting from VHD gives "INACCESIBLE BOOT DEVICE" error: I use Windows 10 but wanted to try 8.1, but i didn't wanted to clean install it on my main drive, so i created vhd and installed Windows 8.1 on it, but when it booted up, it gave me bluescreen "INACCESIBLE BOOT DEVICE"why?...
  4. Problem with disk management and vhd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem with disk management and vhd: I have a system image backup file vhdx, when i create a virtual drive it shows as disk 2 basic. Unallocated with a black bar and doesn't show in volumes. I made the backup in Windows 8.1 and trying to get individual files onto my new Windows 10. I've tried many times with the...
  5. Can't convert a VHDX with Convert-VHD in PowerShell or in Hyper-V Manager

Can't convert a VHDX with Convert-VHD in PowerShell or in Hyper-V Manager: I have a VHDX file that is an image of the system drive in a new laptop, created with Diskpart version 10.0.19041.1: create vdisk file="D:\PC_Original.vhdx" type=expandable source="\\.\physicaldrive0" If this is successful it was, I should be able to store and work with...
  6. can Not boot VM created with StarWind v2v converter from my disk 0 physical drive

can Not boot VM created with StarWind v2v converter from my disk 0 physical drive: I can Not boot VM created with StarWind v2v converter from my disk 0 physical drive, posted also here: // what to do??? any hint? https://forums.starwindsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5632&p=31533#p31533 https://communities.vmware.com/message/2982299#2982299...
  7. No boot disk found after converting disk to GPT

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No boot disk found after converting disk to GPT: Converted the disk 0 after deleting all logical partitions on a Dell with UEFI ROM to GPT from MBR which has legacy mounted window 10 pro. After changing Bios from Legacy to Uefi without secure mode, 'No bootable Disk found error message popped. Is there anyway to change...
  8. Windows 10 will not boot, No disk found after converting disk

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 will not boot, No disk found after converting disk: Converted primary/Dynamic Disk0 where I have c drive with windows 10pro from mbr to gpt on my 2 year old DELL notebook after removing 2 logical partition and kept 3 pri.ary partitions. So all I have were 4 primary partitions. One has system restore two are system partitions....
  9. VHD in Disk Management

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VHD in Disk Management: I was looking in Disk management in Win 8.1 and under the "action tab", there is a choice to; Create VHD. I can't get a shot of it to show a snip. Has anyone used this ? Would this be safe to install Win 10 with ? 2061
  10. Fun trying to convert an existing install to a vhd!

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Fun trying to convert an existing install to a vhd!: This is not specifically windows 10 but I thought it might be of interest. I currently have dual boot 10 home and 10 pro, and it leaves the partitions decidely non-optimal. I decided I would create a virtual hard disk of the Home drive partition and delete the home...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. convert windows to boot from vhd

2. windows to go vhd

3. windows to go vhdx

4. physical disk to vhd gpt,
  5. windows to go vhd initialization error,
  6. windows to go on vhd,
  7. winto usb convert vhd to physical,
  8. convert win7 boot disk to vhd,
  9. convert physical win xp to hyper v from physical drive server 2016