Windows 10: Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss

Discus and support Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Matter solved, thanks! FWIW ... [Screenshot 1] From admin command prompt mbr2gpt /validate /allowFullOS and then: mbr2gpt /convert... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by simrick, Apr 10, 2017.

1. tfwul Win User

Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss

Matter solved, thanks!

FWIW ...

[Screenshot 1]
    From admin command prompt

mbr2gpt /validate /allowFullOS

and then:

mbr2gpt /convert /allowfullOS

Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss [​IMG]

=
    [Screenshot 2]
    From admin command prompt

Diskpart
    List Disk

shows the converted drive (disk 1)

=
    [Screenshot 3]
    Run msinfo32
    shows that now UEFI is enabled to boot from.

=
    [Screenshot 4]
    run dskmgmt
    before and after - shows an extra partition

=
    [Screenshot 5]
    Motherboard BIOS (Asus X99 DeLuxe/U3.1)
    select Boot section in BIOS
    select CSM
    select Enabled
    select UEFI and legacy OpROM

'Enabled' and 'UEFI and legacy OpROM' were already selected in my case)
    (tried UEFI only, but that disables the keyboard)

=

Small note:
    In my case the steps outlined in "How to Boot to UEFI Firmware Settings from inside Windows 10" didn't work.
    Start->Settings->Update & Security->Recovery->Restart Now (Advanced Startup)->Troubleshoot->Advanced Options...

from this point on Windows restarted ("Please Wait" and "Turning off your computer"), instead of 'Startup settings",
    instead of getting "UEFI Firmware Settings".

Anyway, matter solved.

tfwul, May 22, 2017
  2. Brink
    Brink New Member

Great news tfwul. *Party

Brink, May 22, 2017
  3. cereberus Win User
    For clarity, you can only change UEFI settings if already booted to UEFI. If booted as legacy bios, that option does not exist.

cereberus, May 22, 2017
  4. Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss

It's about time Windows included this tool. Worked perfectly for me. I was searching the internet for a way to do this without having to wipe my OS drive and re-partition or purchasing a pro version of a partitioning tool.

ArnoldLayne, Jun 9, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    It was not that difficult to do. You basically had to image backup current C drive, then clean install Windows 10 as UEFI, then restore image overwriting c drive, making sure you had all the right files in c:\windows\boot directory (I copy that directory from clean install to a backup drive just in case). However, no need to do that anymore if running 1703.

cereberus, Jun 9, 2017
  6. Not difficult, but time consuming. Took less than a few minutes to run mbr2gpt, reboot, and change bios to UEFI.

ArnoldLayne, Jun 10, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    Sure but mbr2gpt only works with W10 version 1703. You can use a 1703 installtion drive though to convert older versions.

cereberus, Jun 10, 2017
  8. ralphus Win User

I realize it's recommended to install a new OS when changing mainboards rather than keeping your current installation and just installing new drivers, but I've done it before and intend to do it again.

I can't see why adding a BIOS to UEFI conversion to the mix would be problematic, but has anyone tried this before? Should just be a matter of running the conversion, then swapping out CPU/mainboard/RAM, then booting up the new rig in UEFI.

ralphus, Jul 2, 2017
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Ralphus, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

As long as everything in the red warning box at the top of the tutorial checks out ok, you shouldn't have any issues converting to UEFI.

Of course, I would always recommend to back up anything that you do not want to lose first to be extra safe.

Brink, Jul 2, 2017
  10. ralphus Win User
    Thanks for the welcome, and the reassurance. *Smile

ralphus, Jul 3, 2017
  11. apvm Win User
    Thanks, works fine with an Intel 600P 256GB m.2 SSD Windows 10 1703 with Asus Prime B250 Plus motherboard 0808 bios.

12. DaLee Win User
    Wishing I hadnt tried this, now wont boot. Had a perfectly good running ASUS K60IJ, am hoping someone can help. I could not find the uefi option in the bios. Cant boot from windows 10 or linux flash drive either. After the splash screen all i see is in the attachment.

DaLee, Jul 20, 2017
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello @DaLee, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Check to see if you may have a "CSM" type setting instead to disable in your UEFI firmware settings.

Brink, Jul 20, 2017
  14. DaLee Win User
    Thanks for responding Brink. Looks as if this PC does not have uefi firmware settings only bios, came with windows 7 originally. Was finally able to figure how to boot from flash drive at a cold boot after changeing a few settings in bios and video taping the display to catch the text on the screen as it flew by. *Huh

Is there a chance of a bios upgrade that may give the uefi option needed? Am looking now for newer version, wasnt any during the free W10 update. Currently has AMIBIOS Version 206

In a worst case scenario would a fresh install get me back to mbr ok?

Would there be a command prompt to revert back without losing data?

Or does this not work at all...
    Convert GPT drive into MBR using Command Prompt (cmd).

DaLee, Jul 20, 2017
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Odd. If your hardware didn't support UEFI, the conversion should have failed during the check to prevent it from being converted.

Brink, Jul 20, 2017
Thema:

1. Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss - Similar Threads - Convert Legacy BIOS

2. Convert an existing Windows 10 Installation from Legacy BIOS to UEFI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert an existing Windows 10 Installation from Legacy BIOS to UEFI: Convert an existing Windows 10 Installation from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without using 3rd party software. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/convert-an-existing-windows-10-installation-from/d58e3a80-2d7b-46d5-af56-1fc7958ac53c
  3. Convert an existing Windows 10 Installation from Legacy BIOS to UEFI

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Convert an existing Windows 10 Installation from Legacy BIOS to UEFI: Convert an existing Windows 10 Installation from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without using 3rd party software. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/convert-an-existing-windows-10-installation-from/d58e3a80-2d7b-46d5-af56-1fc7958ac53c
  4. Changing from LEGACY BIOS to UEFI BIOS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing from LEGACY BIOS to UEFI BIOS: Hello,First time posting here. I want to change from LEGACY to UEFI, I'm thinking:Will the computer be able to boot?I use it regularly, and I hope it works after this changover!I am not a computer geek. But I do know how to get into BIOS.Thanks...
  5. Convert Mid-2011 iMac from UEFI to Legacy BIOS.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Convert Mid-2011 iMac from UEFI to Legacy BIOS.: Hello! I have a mid-2011 iMac with which I am dual booting windows 10 and macOS high sierra. Since it is not compatible with bootcamp, I made a bootable usb drive and used that instead. This all worked very well except for that Windows does not recognize my sound card. I...
  6. Convert legacy bios to uefi on old fashioned install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Convert legacy bios to uefi on old fashioned install: I know to convert legacy bios to uefi using mbr2gpt IF the legacy bios has a separate system partition but it does not work for old fashioned legacy bios installs where there is not a separate partition. I also know how to do it the older way with Macrium Reflect i.e. image...
  7. Convert legacy bios to uefi on old fashioned install

in Windows 10 Support
    Convert legacy bios to uefi on old fashioned install: I know to convert legacy bios to uefi using mbr2gpt IF the legacy bios has a separate system partition but it does not work for old fashioned legacy bios installs where there is not a separate partition. I also know how to do it the older way with Macrium Reflect i.e. image...
  8. Converting an mbr install to UEFI without loss of data.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Converting an mbr install to UEFI without loss of data.: Just seen a well presented video that shows how to convert an mbr based installation of windows to a UEFI based install without reinstalling OS and losing data. Convert Windows 7/8/10 Installation from Legacy to UEFI Without Data Loss (Simpler Method) - YouTube...
  9. Convert FAT32 to NTFS without Data Loss in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Convert FAT32 to NTFS without Data Loss in Windows: How to: Convert FAT32 to NTFS without Data Loss in Windows How to Convert FAT32 to NTFS without Data Loss in Windows [img] Information FAT32 (File Address Table 32) and NTFS (New Technology File System) are two different file systems that can be used to format a...
  10. Convert NTFS to FAT32 without Data Loss in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Convert NTFS to FAT32 without Data Loss in Windows: How to: Convert NTFS to FAT32 without Data Loss in Windows How to Convert NTFS to FAT32 without Data Loss in Windows [img] Information FAT32 (File Address Table 32) and NTFS (New Technology File System) are two different file systems that can be used to format a...