Windows 10: Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss

Discus and support Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; It´s possible to “convert” the disk back to MBR. For example: Boot from a boot UFD with Macrium. Create a backup image of the disk in an external... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by simrick, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Anibor Win User

Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss

It´s possible to “convert” the disk back to MBR. For example:

• Boot from a boot UFD with Macrium.
    • Create a backup image of the disk in an external USB disk.
    • With diskpart, clean the internal disk. This will convert it to MBR.
    • Restore the Windows partition.
    • Disconnect the external disk.
    • Use “Fix Boot Problems” from the UFD to create the boot files in the Windows partition.
    • Try a boot.

Anibor, Jul 21, 2017
  2. DaLee Win User

It passed check, and after converting command prompt looked like yours did on the first page of this thread.

BTW i edited my last post after you posted not seeing you had already posted.

DaLee, Jul 21, 2017
  3. DaLee Win User
    Thanks will keep this in mind, am still hoping to have gpt. Not sure if it was just in my head but this pc seemed noticably snapier before powering off.

DaLee, Jul 21, 2017
  4. DaLee Win User

DaLee, Jul 21, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jul 21, 2017
  6. thnak you for your thread

hichamaziz, Jul 22, 2017
  7. drugo Win User
    hi about dual boot warning
    i have 3 ssd , with windows 10 , 8.1 and 7
    but in every operation system ,i have disabled the ssd in the device manager
    i mean for example in w10 ,device manager i have disabled the w8.1 and w7 ssd
    to boot in w10 or 7 i use the bios F8
    is my case a dual boot ? and the warning in the guide is refering me to avoid the procedure?
    and is there a way to convert my w8 and 7 in Uefi?
    thanks

drugo, Oct 6, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello drugo, *Smile

It's not recommended to use this in a mutiboot OS setup since it would most likely break being able to select an OS at boot. Of course, this also doesn't officially support Windows 7 or Windows 8.

In your situation, you may need to start from scratch installing everything with UEFI to do so.

Brink, Oct 6, 2017
  9. drugo Win User
    thank Sir Brink !

drugo, Oct 6, 2017
  10. topgundcp Win User
    @simrick
    *Ditto This will align all partitions as if you do a fresh install. One exception that you do not need to completely clean install. Please look at step 4 of this post:
    UEFI Win Clean install using Macrium reflect - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

topgundcp, Oct 21, 2017
  11. cereberus Win User
    cereberus, Oct 21, 2017
  12. simrick Win User
    simrick, Oct 21, 2017
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Here it is:

Brink, Oct 21, 2017
  14. simrick Win User
    Thanks @Brink. Must be I don't have permission to view it then...
    And thanks @topgundcp - that's good to know!

simrick, Oct 21, 2017
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The thread was removed since the OP was banned for getting abusive in it.

Brink, Oct 22, 2017
Thema:

1. Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss - Similar Threads - Convert Legacy BIOS

2. Convert an existing Windows 10 Installation from Legacy BIOS to UEFI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert an existing Windows 10 Installation from Legacy BIOS to UEFI: Convert an existing Windows 10 Installation from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without using 3rd party software. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/convert-an-existing-windows-10-installation-from/d58e3a80-2d7b-46d5-af56-1fc7958ac53c
  3. Convert an existing Windows 10 Installation from Legacy BIOS to UEFI

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Convert an existing Windows 10 Installation from Legacy BIOS to UEFI: Convert an existing Windows 10 Installation from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without using 3rd party software. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/convert-an-existing-windows-10-installation-from/d58e3a80-2d7b-46d5-af56-1fc7958ac53c
  4. Changing from LEGACY BIOS to UEFI BIOS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing from LEGACY BIOS to UEFI BIOS: Hello,First time posting here. I want to change from LEGACY to UEFI, I'm thinking:Will the computer be able to boot?I use it regularly, and I hope it works after this changover!I am not a computer geek. But I do know how to get into BIOS.Thanks...
  5. Convert Mid-2011 iMac from UEFI to Legacy BIOS.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Convert Mid-2011 iMac from UEFI to Legacy BIOS.: Hello! I have a mid-2011 iMac with which I am dual booting windows 10 and macOS high sierra. Since it is not compatible with bootcamp, I made a bootable usb drive and used that instead. This all worked very well except for that Windows does not recognize my sound card. I...
  6. Convert legacy bios to uefi on old fashioned install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Convert legacy bios to uefi on old fashioned install: I know to convert legacy bios to uefi using mbr2gpt IF the legacy bios has a separate system partition but it does not work for old fashioned legacy bios installs where there is not a separate partition. I also know how to do it the older way with Macrium Reflect i.e. image...
  7. Convert legacy bios to uefi on old fashioned install

in Windows 10 Support
    Convert legacy bios to uefi on old fashioned install: I know to convert legacy bios to uefi using mbr2gpt IF the legacy bios has a separate system partition but it does not work for old fashioned legacy bios installs where there is not a separate partition. I also know how to do it the older way with Macrium Reflect i.e. image...
  8. Converting an mbr install to UEFI without loss of data.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Converting an mbr install to UEFI without loss of data.: Just seen a well presented video that shows how to convert an mbr based installation of windows to a UEFI based install without reinstalling OS and losing data. Convert Windows 7/8/10 Installation from Legacy to UEFI Without Data Loss (Simpler Method) - YouTube...
  9. Convert FAT32 to NTFS without Data Loss in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Convert FAT32 to NTFS without Data Loss in Windows: How to: Convert FAT32 to NTFS without Data Loss in Windows How to Convert FAT32 to NTFS without Data Loss in Windows [img] Information FAT32 (File Address Table 32) and NTFS (New Technology File System) are two different file systems that can be used to format a...
  10. Convert NTFS to FAT32 without Data Loss in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Convert NTFS to FAT32 without Data Loss in Windows: How to: Convert NTFS to FAT32 without Data Loss in Windows How to Convert NTFS to FAT32 without Data Loss in Windows [img] Information FAT32 (File Address Table 32) and NTFS (New Technology File System) are two different file systems that can be used to format a...