Windows 10: Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss

Discus and support Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; The thread was removed since the OP was banned for getting abusive in it. *Eek Oki doki. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by simrick, Apr 10, 2017.

1. simrick Win User

Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss

*Eek Oki doki.

simrick, Oct 22, 2017
  2. billteeth Win User

Hoping for some help figuring out my issue.
    MBR2GPT is not able to validate my disk.
    The error says:
    Cannot map MBR partition type 238. Please supply custom mapping through the command line.
    First partition too close to the beginning of the disk. Should start at offset 17408 or above, found at 512

Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss [​IMG]

Any thoughts?

billteeth, Oct 24, 2017
  3. NavyLCDR New Member
    It's probably the GPT Protective Partition, but it is really weird that it is only a small part of the drive:
    How to Access GPT Protective Partition Without Losing Data Windows 10/8/7 - EaseUS

Be advised, a lot of articles say to use the diskpart "clean" command. That command erases the ENTIRE drive - ALL PARTITIONS. If you don't have a backup of what you want to keep, it will get erased using the CLEAN command.

NavyLCDR, Oct 24, 2017
  4. Burgurne Win User

Worked just fine here. Thank you

Burgurne, Nov 30, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    I'm glad it could help Burgurne. *Smile

Brink, Nov 30, 2017
  6. dowon Win User
    Hello, I was successfully able to convert to UEFI using this tutorial. I checked my partitions and noticed that a new partition (EFI System Partition) was added. Is it safe to delete this to get more memory or should I leave it as is?

dowon, Jan 2, 2018
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello dowon, *Smile

The EFI partition is normal. You do not want to delete it since it is required to boot a UEFI Windows installation.

I'm glad it went smoothly for you.

Brink, Jan 2, 2018
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

The EFI System Partition is now what the computer is booting from. Delete it and the computer will not boot.

NavyLCDR, Jan 2, 2018
  9. Kpat62 Win User
    Ok the conversion went well. Although it messed up System restore, there was a C drive (missing) in the available drives which had to be deleted.
    Also it has assigned a drive letter E to the System reserved partition when it did not have one before.

Should the drive letter be removed?

Kpat62, Jan 31, 2018
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Kpat62, *Smile

Yes, you can remove the drive letter for "E". It normally wouldn't have one.

Brink, Jan 31, 2018
  11. Kpat62 Win User
    Thank you Brink
    I set the label to none. All is well.

Kpat62, Jan 31, 2018
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Not that I'm aware of. *Sad

You might create a separate thread in the Installation & Upgrade forum area to see if someone may know an easier way.

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
  13. ntd252 Win User

I have a triple-boot system: Windows 7 + Windows 10 + Linux Mint.
    I have backed up everything, so can I use that method with accepting that things can go wrong?

ntd252, Apr 18, 2018
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello ntd252,

I wouldn't recommend doing this when you have a multiboot system like that. It will most likely break it. *Sad

Brink, Apr 18, 2018
  15. ntd252 Win User
    Is there any way to do it quicly?
    In the past, I installed Windows 7 first with a 100MB System Reserved, then Windows 10 and last Linux Mint.
    Linux uses Grub2, while Windows7/10 use Windows boot manager.
    I will be sad if I have to copy everything from current disk, convert it and then get data back. *Sad

ntd252, Apr 18, 2018
Thema:

1. Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss - Similar Threads - Convert Legacy BIOS

2. Convert an existing Windows 10 Installation from Legacy BIOS to UEFI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert an existing Windows 10 Installation from Legacy BIOS to UEFI: Convert an existing Windows 10 Installation from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without using 3rd party software. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/convert-an-existing-windows-10-installation-from/d58e3a80-2d7b-46d5-af56-1fc7958ac53c
  3. Convert an existing Windows 10 Installation from Legacy BIOS to UEFI

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Convert an existing Windows 10 Installation from Legacy BIOS to UEFI: Convert an existing Windows 10 Installation from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without using 3rd party software. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/convert-an-existing-windows-10-installation-from/d58e3a80-2d7b-46d5-af56-1fc7958ac53c
  4. Changing from LEGACY BIOS to UEFI BIOS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing from LEGACY BIOS to UEFI BIOS: Hello,First time posting here. I want to change from LEGACY to UEFI, I'm thinking:Will the computer be able to boot?I use it regularly, and I hope it works after this changover!I am not a computer geek. But I do know how to get into BIOS.Thanks...
  5. Convert Mid-2011 iMac from UEFI to Legacy BIOS.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Convert Mid-2011 iMac from UEFI to Legacy BIOS.: Hello! I have a mid-2011 iMac with which I am dual booting windows 10 and macOS high sierra. Since it is not compatible with bootcamp, I made a bootable usb drive and used that instead. This all worked very well except for that Windows does not recognize my sound card. I...
  6. Convert legacy bios to uefi on old fashioned install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Convert legacy bios to uefi on old fashioned install: I know to convert legacy bios to uefi using mbr2gpt IF the legacy bios has a separate system partition but it does not work for old fashioned legacy bios installs where there is not a separate partition. I also know how to do it the older way with Macrium Reflect i.e. image...
  7. Convert legacy bios to uefi on old fashioned install

in Windows 10 Support
    Convert legacy bios to uefi on old fashioned install: I know to convert legacy bios to uefi using mbr2gpt IF the legacy bios has a separate system partition but it does not work for old fashioned legacy bios installs where there is not a separate partition. I also know how to do it the older way with Macrium Reflect i.e. image...
  8. Converting an mbr install to UEFI without loss of data.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Converting an mbr install to UEFI without loss of data.: Just seen a well presented video that shows how to convert an mbr based installation of windows to a UEFI based install without reinstalling OS and losing data. Convert Windows 7/8/10 Installation from Legacy to UEFI Without Data Loss (Simpler Method) - YouTube...
  9. Convert FAT32 to NTFS without Data Loss in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Convert FAT32 to NTFS without Data Loss in Windows: How to: Convert FAT32 to NTFS without Data Loss in Windows How to Convert FAT32 to NTFS without Data Loss in Windows [img] Information FAT32 (File Address Table 32) and NTFS (New Technology File System) are two different file systems that can be used to format a...
  10. Convert NTFS to FAT32 without Data Loss in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Convert NTFS to FAT32 without Data Loss in Windows: How to: Convert NTFS to FAT32 without Data Loss in Windows How to Convert NTFS to FAT32 without Data Loss in Windows [img] Information FAT32 (File Address Table 32) and NTFS (New Technology File System) are two different file systems that can be used to format a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. MBR2GPT winload.efi missing