Windows 10: Converted local account to microsoft - can I convert it back?

Discus and support Converted local account to microsoft - can I convert it back? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I somehow converted my local administrator account to microsoft account. Now it doesn't give me an option to disconnect it and revert back to local... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by och, Jul 29, 2015.

1. OCH
    och Win User

Converted local account to microsoft - can I convert it back?

I somehow converted my local administrator account to microsoft account. Now it doesn't give me an option to disconnect it and revert back to local account. It makes me sign in with my email password instead, and my file sharing across my network is now broken. I can no longer access the files on this pc by going to //pcname/c$ and entering administrator credentials. Anyway this can be solved?

:)

2. Windows 10 - Trying to convert local to Microsoft account - getting "account already exists" error

I found a workaround, at least.

I promoted another local account to admin and when I went to Settings -> Account -> Family and then I saw all the duplicates (local account and the respective Microsoft account) all in the "other family members" section. I deleted all of the Microsoft accounts
    that hadn't yet been converted from local accounts. I then tried to re-convert a local account and it worked. But Windows then re-added all the other Microsoft accounts that hadn't been converted yet. Grr. Thanks, Windows. So, I deleted the Microsoft account
    for the next person I wanted to convert and then I was able to successfully convert them. I repeated the delete-then-convert process until all of my local accounts were successfully converted to Microsoft accounts.

The Family management functionality, when trying to convert multiple local accounts to Microsoft accounts, needs some effort to make it easier. Nobody should have to jump through these kinds of hoops to do something that should be a simple task for the person.

This kind of work-around is ridiculous.

James Olsen, Jul 29, 2015
  3. bluetooth in notification center remain selected even if bluetooth is off when windows starts

Hello Srini,

I would suggest you to first convert the Microsoft Account into a Local account by following the steps which I have provided earlier and then later link the new user account to your Microsoft Account by following the same steps as converting user account
    from Local to Microsoft. Your current Microsoft User account might be corrupted. So firstly convert your Microsoft Account into local account and then convert the new user account into Microsoft Account.

Let us know if it helps. We will help you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Jul 29, 2015
  4. OCH
    och Win User

Here is a screenshot of the account settings. If I click on the remove button on the microsoft account on the bottom, it doesn't seem to do anything, I still have to log in to windows with my email and email password.

Converted local account to microsoft - can I convert it back? [​IMG]

5. wordsworth, Jul 29, 2015
  6. OCH
    och Win User
    If you look at the screenshot that I've posted - I doesn't give me the option to disconnect the account.

7. hawkman Win User
    its actually the sign in options setting under the 1 thats marked.

note it takes you to the sign in on local account option
    if you do not want to enter a password on your local account press next after the screen appears

Roy

hawkman, Jul 29, 2015
  8. OCH
    och Win User

Sign in options doesnt have anything that could disconnect microsoft account. It only lets me change password, create pin, and a few more options, but not changing account type.

9. I would say that you're going to need to create another Administrator account then use that to convert the Admin account you converted to a Microsoft account. Under the new Admin account you would then be able to go to Settings>Accounts>Family & other users, then you should be able to click on the Admin account you converted to the Microsoft account and that will give you the Change account type button so you can convert it back from a Microsoft account.

wordsworth, Jul 29, 2015
  10. OCH
    och Win User
    I tried that, it doesn't do anything. The thing is, its not just an administrative account that got converted, its the Administrator. I've always used Administrator account since win2000 days and then on XP and 7, just because it makes some things easier.

11. Yes, I thought being The Admin might be a problem. I would go to the front page of this forum and find Brink's name (in red) and send him a PM; he may be able to help you further.

wordsworth, Jul 29, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello och, and welcome to Ten Forums.

In this situation, you may need to refresh Windows 10. *Sad

Refresh Windows 10

Brink, Jul 30, 2015
  13. OCH
    och Win User

Thanks Brink and everyone else. I will probably do a fresh reinstall Windows 10 in a couple of month from now, once all the hardware manufacturers have caught up on drivers.

14. I can sympathize. I once a long while back mangled the Admin account and after much Internet searching and not finding a way to resolve it reinstalled. Thought there might be a better way with the new OS.

wordsworth, Jul 30, 2015
  15. thomash Win User
    In other words.. Cortana tricked you! I don't trust her either and I'm not going to be using her until she learns to behave.

Anyway, when it happened to me it was easy to convert back, but seems you have a bug that causes this. Or maybe you're using the "Home" edition instead of "Pro"? That could be a difference, where again MS treats the Home users without respect.

thomash, Jul 30, 2015
Thema:

1. Converted local account to microsoft - can I convert it back? - Similar Threads - Converted local account

2. Can I Convert Local Account to Microsoft Account Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I Convert Local Account to Microsoft Account Windows 10: Hi I have an existing Local Account administrator on my Windows 10 laptop. Is there a way to convert the existing local account to a Microsoft Account , or do I need to first create a new Microsoft Account, then delete the local one. I want to end up with a single account...
  3. Can I Convert Local Account to Microsoft Account Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I Convert Local Account to Microsoft Account Windows 10: Hi I have an existing Local Account administrator on my Windows 10 laptop. Is there a way to convert the existing local account to a Microsoft Account , or do I need to first create a new Microsoft Account, then delete the local one. I want to end up with a single account...
  4. Convert local account to microsoft account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Convert local account to microsoft account: When I installed windows I couldn't get online, so I created a local account. Now that I am online, I want to convert it into my Microsoft account but there is no option in account settings to switch to or from a local account, which is what every since guide is telling me I...
  5. Convert local account to microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert local account to microsoft account: When I installed windows I couldn't get online, so I created a local account. Now that I am online, I want to convert it into my Microsoft account but there is no option in account settings to switch to or from a local account, which is what every since guide is telling me I...
  6. Convert local account to microsoft account

7. Convert a Microsoft account to a local account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert a Microsoft account to a local account: I had a local account on my PC that has been changed to a Microsoft account ever since I signed into the Microsoft Store app. I would like to change my account back to a local account. I don't want to create a new local account because then I'll have to re-install a lot of...
  8. Convert a Microsoft account to a local account

Convert a Microsoft account to a local account: I had a local account on my PC that has been changed to a Microsoft account ever since I signed into the Microsoft Store app. I would like to change my account back to a local account. I don't want to create a new local account because then I'll have to re-install a lot of...
  9. Local account converted to Microsoft account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Local account converted to Microsoft account: I just signed up for office 365 family. the PC was set up with a local account which I used to sign on. Say user name is guest and password is ######. I opened I opened office.com sign in and started using office apps. Now my local logon is attached to my Microsoft...
  10. How do I convert back to a local account?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I convert back to a local account?: Hey, So, not sure what it is that I did but something to do with one of the Microsoft services had me sign in using my email and password to the live Microsoft stuff (might have been trying to play solitaire). Now when I boot up my desktop, it's always asking me for my...