Windows 10: Converting license keys for RTM installs?

Discus and support Converting license keys for RTM installs? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Does anyone know how Microsoft handles the whole issue of license keys yet? Does it actually take your old 7/8 key and replaces it with a Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mansen, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Mansen Win User

Converting license keys for RTM installs?

Does anyone know how Microsoft handles the whole issue of license keys yet? Does it actually take your old 7/8 key and replaces it with a Windows 10 key?

I already installed RTM on every machine in the house to avoid the release day rush, but Windows hasn't made any attempt to ask me to upgrade my old keys at all, and since it was a clean install with no key, it keeps reminding me to activate. *Huh

:)

Mansen, Jul 28, 2015

2. Windows 10 Pro Free Installation

If you have Pro Digital License on the PC then insert the Generic Pro key at Settings > Update & Security > Activation > Change Product Key to unlock Pro version and it should activate with the Digital License.

Generic key to install Windows 10 RTM

If you don't have the Pro Digital License on that PC yet then you'll need to insert the Pro Product Key instead, or go to the Store app to upgrade with a new or existing Upgrade purchased there.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jul 28, 2015
  3. Activating Windows again

You should be able to chat with Support by opening the Get Help or Contact Support app in Start menu. If you ever had a Digital License on the PC from the free Upgrade they will reactivate.

If you inserted any other than the
    Generic key to install Windows 10 RTM
    it may mess up activating with the Digital License until you restore the correct default key for your version from the list. Then the Activation troubleshooter should work. But if not Support should activate it.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jul 28, 2015
  4. Barman58 Win User

The initial upgrade must be exactly that - an upgrade- once you have performed an upgrade on the device it will be possible to perform a clean install - although Microsoft has stated that this may take a while before the system for this is active

Barman58, Jul 28, 2015
  5. bobkn Win User
    See post #6 in this thread.

Will windows 10 update provide a product key for clean install? - Windows 10 Forums

Short answer: the free upgrade does not provide a new Win 10 key.

If you wish to take advantage of it, you'll need to re-install and activate the qualifying OSes on each PC, and then upgrade. I'm not certain, but I believe there's an upgrade option which retains nothing from the old OS, and that may be equivalent to a clean install.

bobkn, Jul 28, 2015
  6. Mansen Win User
    Sounds to me like they're expecting you to install your old OS and then do an upgrade every time. :/

Mansen, Jul 28, 2015
  7. Mystere Win User
    Only the first time you install to that device. After that, you can do clean installs.

Mystere, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Converting license keys for RTM installs? - Similar Threads - Converting license keys

2. RTM Product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    RTM Product key: Hello Microsoft, 3 days ago, I bought a Windows 10 pro license key from a shopping website. I went to check if the license was valid, and it says Windows 10 RTM Product key. Does RTM stand for Release to Manufacturer? if so, can it be used for a complete Windows build? Here...
  3. RTM Product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RTM Product key: Hello Microsoft, 3 days ago, I bought a Windows 10 pro license key from a shopping website. I went to check if the license was valid, and it says Windows 10 RTM Product key. Does RTM stand for Release to Manufacturer? if so, can it be used for a complete Windows build? Here...
  4. RTM Product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Win 10 pro installation with retail channel key to be converted to OEM/Digital license and...

Win 10 pro installation with retail channel key to be converted to OEM/Digital license and...: I have OEM Win 10 Pro license purchased along with the hardware, but used an image with retail channel product key while deploying Win 10 pro. Is there a way to activate with OEM digital license without reinstalling ?Work arounds done: Tried removing the product keyslmgr.vbs...
  6. how to convert my volume license key to pre-installed license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to convert my volume license key to pre-installed license: Hello Helpers, Once my laptop got crashed, so i took my pc to the service center they installed the windows 10 enterprise version with volume license, on the time of getting my pc back from service center i don't know about windows enterpriseKMS server. but later i was found...
  7. how to convert my volume license key to pre-installed license

how to convert my volume license key to pre-installed license: Hello Helpers, Once my laptop got crashed, so i took my pc to the service center they installed the windows 10 enterprise version with volume license, on the time of getting my pc back from service center i don't know about windows enterpriseKMS server. but later i was found...
  8. how to convert my volume license key to pre-installed license

9. RTM Windows 10 Retail License

RTM Windows 10 Retail License: We are a computer store selling and servicing computers for individuals and businesses. Can we buy RTM Win 10 Pro Retail keys on line and resell them, we have found that the key installs and activates, however we are unsure if this is legal....
  10. Install License Key

Install License Key: Hi microsoft i am already buy Windows 10 Home license key. But i rash install Windows 10 Pro N Version on my computer. I can't install my license key because the version of Windows is different. Any solution for my problem? I am sorry my English very low. Thank you....