Windows 10: Converting Local Machine to use in VM ware

Discus and support Converting Local Machine to use in VM ware in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hello Guys and Gals, I would would like to Convert my Local Machine to a use in VMware, ( I did a test run on a laptop of mine which was successful. )... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Pantz, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Pantz Win User

Converting Local Machine to use in VM ware

Hello Guys and Gals, I would would like to Convert my Local Machine to a use in VMware, ( I did a test run on a laptop of mine which was successful. )

I would like to do the same thing on my Local machine, i have VMware running on my local machine ( with several OS on it which are working fine )

I would like to add my local machine to the VM that is on my local machine, and use the newly Created Local VM in VMware,

could i use the newly created Local VM as a form of Backup ?

Could i use the newly created local VM as my main OS in VMware ?

Thanks in advance

:)

Pantz, Mar 19, 2017
  2. Neil13764 Win User

Win 7 Installation with VM Ware

I have VM ware installed on my Win 10 PC and within VM Ware I installed Win 7 using an unused license. I am about to reformat my entire SSD and reinstall Win 10 and everything else that I have on PC. Do I have to uninstall Win 7 in the VM ware setup
    or do anything special so that I can reinstall Win 7 in the virtual machine?

Neil13764, Mar 19, 2017
  3. Laptop on Win 10 Pro crashing with BSOD after Windows Systeme Update - UNEXPECTED KERNEL MODE TRAP

I don't know V-.... I use VM Ware Workstation Pro on my laptops but not all the sofware for industrial robot or PLC programming allows to be installed on virtual machines. That is the reason.

Charles Diaz, Mar 19, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

cereberus, Mar 19, 2017
  5. Pantz Win User
    Hello Again , is there a reason why i cant use VMware vCenter Converter ? since the files are already vmx ?

I would rather not convert the VHD back to a VMX if possible

Thanks in advance

Pantz, Mar 20, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    No idea what you are talking about. You said how to convert local machine which i presumed was a host pc.

cereberus, Mar 20, 2017
  7. Pantz Win User
    Hello again, yes i would like to convert my host pc ( Local Machine ) to use in a VMware environment not a Hyper V as i have no experience with Hyper V

Thanks in Advance

Pantz, Mar 20, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

Vmare will run .vhd files natively afaik.

BTW - if you can use hyper-v, it is really great - see tutorial section

cereberus, Mar 20, 2017
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

You could have a problem with the VMware converter since it sometimes freezes mouse on ist boot of the VM.

The easiest way is simply to do this

1) Back up existing Physical machine to external HDD. (You only need the OS and system partitions). (Macrium Free is the best for this)

2) define your VM -- give it sufficient Disk space and when using VMware choose "I will install the OS later" option if using the create VM wizard.

3) create an ISO of the bootable macrium Free restore program.

4) attach the HDD where you saved your image of your current OS to the VM

5) set the VM to boot from the ISO file.

6) boot VM -- now it should start the Macrium restore program -- simply follow the on screen instructions to restore from the backup --- macrium will usually restore perfectly to different hardware.

7) when restore complete - boot VM normally and install VMWARE tools.

8) remove / install whatever else you need / don't need.

You will probably be asked again for a key as a VM will need another windows licence --in rare cases *you might be* lucky !!!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 21, 2017
  10. Pantz Win User
    Hello Guys and Gals . well i did try the VM converter, i installed it on my C:\ on my main machine , and after a reboot i was unable to get to the desktop, i had a couple of errors saying that the desktop could not be loaded, ( i did not capture the Errors,

i then had to a system restore / reset, luckily i had a image from a few days back and did the reset and restores the Image that i had, the same thing happened on my test laptop, which is now ok

I think i will try Jimbo45 recommendation and see what happens, ( that seems like what i was looking for ) i will be back in between the step to make sure i am on the right track

Thanks in Advance

Pantz, Mar 21, 2017
  11. cereberus Win User
    Jimbo45 is pretty much the VMWare guru here (as Kari is the Hyper-V guru) so it will almost certainly work*Smile.

Interestingly we get very few Virtualbox posts.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Converting Local Machine to use in VM ware - Similar Threads - Converting Local Machine

2. Local app to VM running on local machine.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Local app to VM running on local machine.: I have a laptop running an Allstarlink node in a Hyper-V virtual machine using Hyper-V's external switch. I would like to have a local laptop application, iaxRpt, connect to this VM and connect to the software running in it. i.e. Laptop running Hyper-V VM. VM running...
  3. Local app to VM running on local machine.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Local app to VM running on local machine.: I have a laptop running an Allstarlink node in a Hyper-V virtual machine using Hyper-V's external switch. I would like to have a local laptop application, iaxRpt, connect to this VM and connect to the software running in it. i.e. Laptop running Hyper-V VM. VM running...
  4. Windows Professional Upgrade using VM Ware Fusion

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Professional Upgrade using VM Ware Fusion: I have an old licensed 32 bit version of Windows 7 Professional which I purchased many years ago..I have since upgraded to Windows 10 32 bit Professional using the license key from my Windows 7 ProfessionalI run this version of Windows on an Apple computer using VM Ware...
  5. Windows Professional Upgrade using VM Ware Fusion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Professional Upgrade using VM Ware Fusion: I have an old licensed 32 bit version of Windows 7 Professional which I purchased many years ago..I have since upgraded to Windows 10 32 bit Professional using the license key from my Windows 7 ProfessionalI run this version of Windows on an Apple computer using VM Ware...
  6. Windows Professional Upgrade using VM Ware Fusion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. BSoD Win 10 after update with VM ware workstation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSoD Win 10 after update with VM ware workstation: Microsoft R Windows Debugger Version 10.0.19041.685 X86 Copyright c Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Loading Dump File [C:\Windows\Minidump\082921-11750-01.dmp] Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available Symbol search path is: srv*...
  8. Windows 10 VM Ware

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 VM Ware: So i have a macbook wait around 120GB available. I was just wondering how much storage i would need to run a Windows 10 VM Ware? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-vm-ware/afd8c590-0d80-4643-a532-37691f6fd6ef
  9. HYPER-V VM convert to Physical machine - any easy way for V2P

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    HYPER-V VM convert to Physical machine - any easy way for V2P: Hi folks especially @Kari One thing with Virtual Machines created by VMware is that it's usually easy to create a physical machine environment from the guest W10 machine by using the various tools out there (V2P conversion). Even taking an image with Macrium and...
  10. Vm ware Workstation issues

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Vm ware Workstation issues: Recently i have been having a few issues with some of my VM in VMware workstation, ( workstation not responding ) i dont know what i did to cause this , ( maybe the update to windows may have caused this ) but i would like to Reinstall VMware workstation but keep the VM that...