Windows 10: Converting MBR to GPT for EFI boot?

Discus and support Converting MBR to GPT for EFI boot? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've just recently re-installed Windows on my laptop. I had the hard drive set to a GPT format disk since my system supports and previously used UEFI... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Lutero, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Lutero Win User

Converting MBR to GPT for EFI boot?

I've just recently re-installed Windows on my laptop. I had the hard drive set to a GPT format disk since my system supports and previously used UEFI boot, but this install wouldn't allow it so I just went to MBR again..

Is there a way to convert the currently MBR type disk to a GPT format (without losing the current Windows installation) so I can resume using the UEFI format boot? I'd like to later dual boot Linux and I'd pref having a UEFI load over the MBR when that time comes.

Thanks.

:)

Lutero, Nov 27, 2015
  2. qinada Win User

Windows Installation

On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks. If you use MBR disk, you will receive this error message: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. You can convert MBR to GPT and try it again.

qinada, Nov 27, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Creators Update 1703 Crash 88%

I finally nailed this.

Did all the things everyone said, but would still get stuck at 88% and then power off and it reverts back.

The answer................... GPT !!!!!!!!!!

My hard disk was using MBR and BIOS.

Converted the MBR to GPT using a Partition Manager (EASEUS Partition manager).

Straight away the upgrade sails through.

WARNING !!!!

You have to ensure your motherboard can handle EFI/UEFI............ provided your motherboard will support EFI or UEFI then it will work with GPT.

If your motherboard cannot handle EFI/UEFI then if you convert to GPT you will not be able to boot again.

Took me a long time to get to the solution................... but got there in the end. At 88% it is doing data migration, and for some reason it will not work with MBR formatted hard disks.

Converting MBR to GPT for EFI boot? :)

Robert_2020, Nov 27, 2015
  4. Whatphoeb Win User

You can Convert MBR to GPT using Diskpart
    This method you have to backup all your data and delete all partitions and volumes. Then use the DISKPART command
    Open command prompt and type in DISKPART and press Enter
    Then type in list disk (Note down the number of disk you want to convert to GPT)
    Then type in select disk number of disk
    Finally type in convert gpt.
    EaseUS partition master can do it wihout data loss too, you can try it.

Whatphoeb, Nov 27, 2015
  5. philc43 Win User
    You can do this and keep all your data. I recently did this on my Windows 10 installation and I followed the procedure described in the youtube clip below. It all went fairly smoothly apart from step 4 where I had to do a deep search in testdisk to identify the partitions that needed to be written.

I would recommend that you study the video a few times to become familiar with each step and also have a hard copy of the steps printed out or at least a second computer nearby that you can refer to if you need to check on what to do next.

I notice that the author has also written a simpler procedure that you can follow here:

Cheers,
    Phil

philc43, Nov 27, 2015
  6. Lutero Win User
    Thanks a lot Phil, this is exactly what I needed!

Lutero, Nov 27, 2015
  7. topgundcp Win User
    How to Convert from MBR to GPT:

• Download and install Macrium Reflect Free and create a backup image of your current MBR Windows 10 to an external HD. (You should anyway before modifying any Windows partitions in case something goes wrong)
    • Create a bootable Macrium Rescue disk on a USB/DVD (from Macrium application, click on the first icon on the top left)
    • Next, wipe out the disk and install a fresh copy of Windows 10 using GPT partition scheme. The installation should create all the needed partitions and C drive. No need to run updates because you're going to overwrite the C drive with the C drive from the backup.
    • Next you'd want to ovewrite the C partition from fresh install with the C partition from the backup image.
      Boot up from the Rescue Image and follow the steps in the video as shown below and you're done.
    [youtube]0yorvuMvPGU[/youtube]

topgundcp, Nov 27, 2015
  8. philc43 Win User

Topgundcp, I agree your process using Macrium Reflect will be easier and more straightforward but the OP had difficulty doing a fresh install and achieving a GPT partition scheme. At your Step 3 he could run into the same problem again and be no better off.

philc43, Nov 27, 2015
  9. topgundcp Win User
    If the OP cannot install Windows using GPT partition scheme then there's something wrong with his settings in the BIOS and/or the selection of which option to boot from. I also thought of his idea is he wants to convert it into GPT without losing any installed applications/data.

Anyway, he needs to fix the problem that he cannot install using GPT first.

topgundcp, Nov 27, 2015
  10. Mystere Win User
    Mystere, Nov 27, 2015
  11. topgundcp Win User
    @Mystere
    The link you posted was already posted in #4. What I suggested above is simply overwrite the C partition with Macrium and it automatically convert this partition to GPT and Windows will boot up with no problem. Been there, done that.

In addition, the method I used will properly align all partitions as if you do a fresh install without using diskpart to create/convert/format all the needed partitions. Windows is smart enough to re-assign the GUID to point at the C-Drive.

topgundcp, Nov 27, 2015
  12. Mystere Win User
    Sorry, I missed the first link. But no, converting it to GPT will not make it automatically an EFI boot. There is more to it, yes it may boot up, but won't be EFI.

Mystere, Nov 27, 2015
  13. topgundcp Win User

@Mystere
    Sorry but did you read the steps I posted ?. What do you mean by: It may boot up, but won't be EFI ? How else does it boot up with a GPT disk ? Here's the screen shot

Converting MBR to GPT for EFI boot? [​IMG]

topgundcp, Nov 27, 2015
  14. Mystere Win User
    You have an EFI partition. If you were originally an MBR, then it won't have created an EFI. My point is, simply changing to GPT is not enough.

Mystere, Nov 27, 2015
  15. Word Man Win User
    What you say is true enough. However, creating the EFI partition is covered in his step number 3.

Word Man, Nov 27, 2015
Thema:

1. Converting MBR to GPT for EFI boot? - Similar Threads - Converting MBR GPT

2. Convert MBR to GPT!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert MBR to GPT!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,Which is the best way to convert MBR to GPT without data loss and without being Windows boot logo stretched. If you don't know what I am talking about, see this thread:...
  3. Convert MBR to GPT!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Convert MBR to GPT!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,Which is the best way to convert MBR to GPT without data loss and without being Windows boot logo stretched. If you don't know what I am talking about, see this thread:...
  4. Convert MBR to GPT!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Convert GPT to MBR

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert GPT to MBR: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,I want to convert GPT to MBR without data loss. Should I do using AOMEI partition assistant? Is it safe? Will it loss data? Will it damage HDD? Please give answer in detail....
  6. Convert GPT to MBR

Convert GPT to MBR: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,I want to convert GPT to MBR without data loss. Should I do using AOMEI partition assistant? Is it safe? Will it loss data? Will it damage HDD? Please give answer in detail....
  7. Convert GPT to MBR

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Is it possible to delete the EFI Partition after converting MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to delete the EFI Partition after converting MBR to GPT: Hello everyone,I am attempting to convert windows 10 installation from MBR to GPT using the MBR2GPT.EXE tool. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gptThe documentation states:MBR2GPT.EXE converts a disk from the Master Boot Record MBR to the GUID...
  9. Is it possible to delete the EFI Partition after converting MBR to GPT

Is it possible to delete the EFI Partition after converting MBR to GPT: Hello everyone,I am attempting to convert windows 10 installation from MBR to GPT using the MBR2GPT.EXE tool. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gptThe documentation states:MBR2GPT.EXE converts a disk from the Master Boot Record MBR to the GUID...
  10. Is it possible to delete the EFI Partition after converting MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade