Windows 10: Converting RAW external HDD to NTFS?

Discus and support Converting RAW external HDD to NTFS? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My toshiba 1tb external hard drive currently says it is a raw file system and i cant seem to format it no matter what i do. I dont care for what is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Falco45, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Falco45 Win User

Converting RAW external HDD to NTFS?

My toshiba 1tb external hard drive currently says it is a raw file system and i cant seem to format it no matter what i do. I dont care for what is inside (only one word file) but i just want to be able to use it again. Is there anyway i can format the HDD and make it usable again?

5%x​

:)

Falco45, Oct 18, 2015
  2. erod1017 Win User

External HDD's 'converted' to RAW on PC

They are your typical Western Digital Passport Ultra's, they connect with a USB cord, no dock. They aren't networked, i just use them as additional storage on my PC of large files.

erod1017, Oct 18, 2015
  3. erod1017 Win User
    External HDD's 'converted' to RAW on PC

I have multiple external HDD's, both WD and Seagate, that are recognizable by my PC, but list in device manager as RAW and empty. I can access all the information on the drives on my laptop just fine. I've tried to reformat the drive and it wont allow me
    to access the drive, reading "the format did not complete successfully." I've tried everything from wiping my SSD that windows was installed on and reinstalling fresh, to updating my BIOS, to uninstalling the drivers...

I cant find anything that will allow them to work on my PC.

erod1017, Oct 18, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

If you don't care about the content and assuming your HD is still good then:
    Open Admin Command Prompt:
    • diskpart
    • list disk =====>take a note of disk # of your HD
    • select disk #
    • clean
    • exit
    Open Disk Management: initialize, create simple then format with NTFS.

topgundcp, Oct 18, 2015
  5. Whatphoeb Win User
    The way convert a hard disk or partition to NTFS format:
    Close any open programs running on the partition or logical drive to be converted.
    Click the Start button Picture of the Start button, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    At the command prompt, type convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs, where drive_letter is the letter of the drive you want to convert, and then press Enter.
    Type the name of the volume you want to convert, and then press Enter. You must use the existing name of the volume or the conversion will be canceled. You can view all available volumes in the Computer folder under Hard Disk Drives.
    Open Computer by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Computer

Delete the partition in Disk Management(diskmgmt.msc), re-create it, then format it. Use third party software to do this. Try EaseUS Partition Master Free - Free Partition Magic alternative and Partition Manager Freeware for Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10.

Whatphoeb, Oct 19, 2015
  6. LMiller7 Win User
    The "convert" command will only convert a FAT 16 or FAT 32 partition to NTFS. RAW isn't a real file system, just the name Windows assigns when the actual file system cannot be determined. If this is due to a physical problem with the drive it will have to be replaced. Otherwise repartitioning should work.

LMiller7, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Converting RAW external HDD to NTFS? - Similar Threads - Converting RAW external

2. windows auto converted my external hdd to RAW format

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows auto converted my external hdd to RAW format: windows auto converted my external hdd to RAW format now i cant access it it says i have to format it i need my all data its not my fault pls help...
  3. windows auto converted my external hdd to RAW format

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows auto converted my external hdd to RAW format: windows auto converted my external hdd to RAW format now i cant access it it says i have to format it i need my all data its not my fault pls help...
  4. How to convert from RAW to NTFS w/o Formatting?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to convert from RAW to NTFS w/o Formatting?: My partition is converted from NTFS to RAW and it has some important data in it.How can I recover without using any third-party software? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-convert-from-raw-to-ntfs-wo-formatting/d7c6ba9d-389f-4451-900b-ff4696e45b5b
  5. How to convert RAW SSD to NTFS without losing data?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to convert RAW SSD to NTFS without losing data?: I just open my laptop and suddenly it wont boot up. It goes to BSOD then advance boot options and just loops until forever. I found out my SSD is the problem.I tried plugging my SSD into another laptop using external enclosure and it only detects the SSD for a moment then...
  6. Problem on an extern hard drive - RAW on NTFS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem on an extern hard drive - RAW on NTFS: Hello,I've a problem on my external hard drive, a HDD of 2To.Few days ago, I was normally using this, but suddently it stopped to run. I ran my pc on Windows and my HDD displayed as a RAW partition on disk managment.I tried chkdsk on CMD as admin but it says me that it is a...
  7. Problem on an extern hard drive - RAW on NTFS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem on an extern hard drive - RAW on NTFS: Hello,I've a problem on my external hard drive, a HDD of 2To.Few days ago, I was normally using this, but suddently it stopped to run. I ran my pc on Windows and my HDD displayed as a RAW partition on disk managment.I tried chkdsk on CMD as admin but it says me that it is a...
  8. Problem on an extern hard drive - RAW on NTFS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Convert RAW Filesystem into NTFS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Convert RAW Filesystem into NTFS: So this is an interesting story. I have an USB-Stick with 64gb space on it. I so far only used it for readyboost because i didnt really find an other use for it. But today, i wanted to set up an virtual machine and needed the usb-stick. I realized i had an windows backup on...
  10. Converting a RAW drive back to ntfs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Converting a RAW drive back to ntfs: I have an external USB drive which has changed to a RAW drive from an NTFS drive, so Windows cannot access the drive. I have tried suggestions made on the Community website, so far non have worked, due to the fact I thing that the suggestions made are not up to date as far as...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to open raw 1tb hdd