Windows 10: Converting to a preexisting Microsoft Account-What exactly is changed?

Discus and support Converting to a preexisting Microsoft Account-What exactly is changed? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have several PCs now with Windows 10, a laptop, my main desktop and an older desktop. I've been using an MSA with the laptop since it had Windows 8.1... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by RickNCN, Aug 1, 2016.

1. RickNCN Win User

Converting to a preexisting Microsoft Account-What exactly is changed?

I have several PCs now with Windows 10, a laptop, my main desktop and an older desktop. I've been using an MSA with the laptop since it had Windows 8.1 on it. I'm wondering, in some detail, what exactly changes on my desktop, in terms of files, folders, profile, if I switch from a local account to an MSA? In general, does it merge the existing MSA that was started on the laptop into the local account on the desktop? Or does it set the old local profile aside and add the MSA profile? Does it create a new user profile folder?

I'm guessing it must merge the profiles, otherwise settings and preferences from your local account would be lost. If that's true, the MSA profile now has some new preferences and settings added to it picked up from the desktop. When I log into the laptop now, will those new preferences and settings follow and be added to the laptop's profile?

When and if you convert back to a local account from an MSA, what happens? if the profiles were merged, does it separate them again somehow? Or am I looking at this the wrong way?

Any other info or clarification is appreciated! Thanks!

:)

RickNCN, Aug 1, 2016
  2. BrieBuell Win User

New Computer, Old Microsoft Account

I currently have a laptop that within a week I will be replacing with a brand new computer. I remember when I purchased the one I have now, there was no option to sign into a preexisting Microsoft account when you set the computer up. I am aware that it
    is possible to add another Microsoft account to the computer, but from what I could tell by your articles, that option is not available until after a new account is made. Furthermore, the account added to the system will not be the primary account either.
    I'd rather not have to make a brand new account whatsoever, is it possible to sign into a preexisting Microsoft account during the initial setup of a new computer?

BrieBuell, Aug 1, 2016
  3. Converting a microsoft account to local account.

The Microsoft Account troubleshooter is a useful tool used to scan and repair problems found in relation to your account. We suggest that you run this tool and check if it resolves your concern:

Download troubleshooter.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/4/F2...

Andre Da Costa, Aug 1, 2016
Thema:

Converting to a preexisting Microsoft Account-What exactly is changed?

1. Converting to a preexisting Microsoft Account-What exactly is changed? - Similar Threads - Converting preexisting Microsoft

2. What exactly is" Change to regvalue...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What exactly is" Change to regvalue...: What is the below change ?" Change to regvalue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection\LastUpdate regvalvalue'" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-exactly-is-change-to-regvalue/b154e9d8-2ae8-45e2-900d-71288a03fe52
  3. What exactly is" Change to regvalue...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What exactly is" Change to regvalue...: What is the below change ?" Change to regvalue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection\LastUpdate regvalvalue'" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-exactly-is-change-to-regvalue/b154e9d8-2ae8-45e2-900d-71288a03fe52
  4. What exactly is" Change to regvalue...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Convert local account to microsoft account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Convert local account to microsoft account: When I installed windows I couldn't get online, so I created a local account. Now that I am online, I want to convert it into my Microsoft account but there is no option in account settings to switch to or from a local account, which is what every since guide is telling me I...
  6. Convert local account to microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert local account to microsoft account: When I installed windows I couldn't get online, so I created a local account. Now that I am online, I want to convert it into my Microsoft account but there is no option in account settings to switch to or from a local account, which is what every since guide is telling me I...
  7. Convert local account to microsoft account

8. Convert a Microsoft account to a local account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert a Microsoft account to a local account: I had a local account on my PC that has been changed to a Microsoft account ever since I signed into the Microsoft Store app. I would like to change my account back to a local account. I don't want to create a new local account because then I'll have to re-install a lot of...
  9. Convert a Microsoft account to a local account

Convert a Microsoft account to a local account: I had a local account on my PC that has been changed to a Microsoft account ever since I signed into the Microsoft Store app. I would like to change my account back to a local account. I don't want to create a new local account because then I'll have to re-install a lot of...
  10. Microsoft account was compromised, wondering what exactly they had access to in this time?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microsoft account was compromised, wondering what exactly they had access to in this time?: Of all the services that the Microsoft account includes, I never really used any of them, but I did use it to log into Windows 10. Apparently the account saves passwords, I'm wondering exactly which passwords are saved on the account? Also, if my laptop was discoverable on...