Windows 10: Converting W10 System Disk from MBR to GPt

Discus and support Converting W10 System Disk from MBR to GPt in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; For some reason my W10 System Disk (SSD) is set up as an MBR Disk. My separate Data disk (HDD) is GPT. I know how to convert the System Disk to GPT... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JJG10, Jun 2, 2017.

1. JJG10 Win User

Converting W10 System Disk from MBR to GPt

For some reason my W10 System Disk (SSD) is set up as an MBR Disk. My separate Data disk (HDD) is GPT. I know how to convert the System Disk to GPT using Minitools Partition Wizard. If I do that to the SSD will I loose the W10 installation? And is there any advantage to doing that conversion?

Thank you.

:)

JJG10, Jun 2, 2017
  2. qinada Win User

Windows Installation

On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks. If you use MBR disk, you will receive this error message: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. You can convert MBR to GPT and try it again.

qinada, Jun 2, 2017
  3. Jon-Stark Win User
    3TB Drive format windows 10 not working

This is because your hard disk is MBR disk, you can check it in Disk Management.
    which only supports 2 TB drive. so the only way to get your space backup is to convert your disk back to GPT disk. Disk management can only convert a disk to MBR when it is empty. Therefore, you need a third party software to

convert MBR to GPT on Windows 10
    without affecting the OS, such as AOMEI Partition Assistant.after installing this software, the Convert mBR/GPT wizard will guide you through the process. How to Convert GPT to MBR or Convert MBR to GPT without Losing Data?

Jon-Stark, Jun 2, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jun 2, 2017
  5. JJG10 Win User
    Thank you very much Brink. That worked like a charm.

JJG10, Jun 4, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Converting W10 System Disk from MBR to GPt - Similar Threads - Converting W10 System

2. How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?: Hi,I need to convert my system disk to GPT without losing data or reinstalling windows 10.So I can convert my system from legacy BIOS to UEFI. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-convert-a-system-mbr-disk-to-gpt-disk/e5c6c129-e5c7-49c0-bb2f-979136b58b36
  3. How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?: Hi,I need to convert my system disk to GPT without losing data or reinstalling windows 10.So I can convert my system from legacy BIOS to UEFI. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-convert-a-system-mbr-disk-to-gpt-disk/e5c6c129-e5c7-49c0-bb2f-979136b58b36
  4. How to convert a system MBR disk to GPT disk ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Convert GPT to MBR

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Convert GPT to MBR: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,I want to convert GPT to MBR without data loss. Should I do using AOMEI partition assistant? Is it safe? Will it loss data? Will it damage HDD? Please give answer in detail....
  6. To convert System disk with 4 partitions from MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    To convert System disk with 4 partitions from MBR to GPT: I've read the tutorial Convert Windows 10 from Legacy BIOS to UEFI without Data Loss and I've seen the condition "Although disks configured with MBR-style partition can have up to four primary partitions, for this process to work the disk you want to convert can't have more...
  7. How to convert an MBR disk into a GPT disk

How to convert an MBR disk into a GPT disk: why does windows 10 32 bit(x86) clean install as mbr when i pre-format the hard drive as gpt? is there a solution or is that the default and only option for installation? i've contacted asus who makes my motherboard to check for uefi details and everything i can think of...
  8. Convert only one disk from MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Convert only one disk from MBR to GPT: I have one SSD and other normal HDD. On SSD, i installed window 10 and on HDD normal data. Both are MBR partition. So my question is can i re-install new window 10 using GPT partition on SSD without interrupting other hard-drive....
  9. convert MBR to GPT disk

convert MBR to GPT disk: DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0 Online 465 GB 0 B Disk 1 Online 7633 MB 0 B DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size...
  10. Convert 1.5TB disk from MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Convert 1.5TB disk from MBR to GPT: I want to convert a 1.5TB MBR disk to a GPT disk. My other two disks are GPT so I'd like them all to be. No special reason, just because. When I tried mbr2gpt /validate /disk:2 I get ERROR: MBR2GPT can only be used from the Windows Preinstallation Environment. Use...