Windows 10: Copy a file to the same folder - no longer appends the word "- Copy"

Discus and support Copy a file to the same folder - no longer appends the word "- Copy" in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; For as long as I can remember possibly since Windows 3.1 I could use File Explorer to go into any folder, select a File, click Ctrl-C to copy the file,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Akiva Miller, May 15, 2024.

1. Copy a file to the same folder - no longer appends the word "- Copy"

For as long as I can remember possibly since Windows 3.1 I could use File Explorer to go into any folder, select a File, click Ctrl-C to copy the file, and click Ctrl-V to paste it right there in the same folder. Of course, Windows doesn't allow two files to be in the same folder with the same name, so it would append "- Copy" to the name of the new file. For example, if I copied the file "My Stuff.doc", the copy would be named "My Stuff - Copy.doc". This is a quick and easy way to make a backup copy of whatever I'm working on.But for the past year or two, i.e. Windows 10 that works only s

:)

Akiva Miller, May 15, 2024
  2. temp02 Win User

Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, May 15, 2024
  3. Wozzer Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, May 15, 2024
  4. CmdrKeene Win User

Copy a file to the same folder - no longer appends the word "- Copy"

File Copies in Folders

To delete every file that has the word "copy" at the end of the file name, do this:

1. In the search box at the top, type in exactly this text:
      filename:~"* - Copy"

2. Select all the search results and press the delete key to send them to the recycle bin.
    Just to be safe, I would recommend you do not empty the recycle bin until sometime later when you are fully sure you don't need any of those files.

CmdrKeene, May 15, 2024
Thema:

Copy a file to the same folder - no longer appends the word "- Copy"

1. Copy a file to the same folder - no longer appends the word "- Copy" - Similar Threads - Copy file same

2. Copy a file to the same folder - no longer appends the word "- Copy"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copy a file to the same folder - no longer appends the word "- Copy": For as long as I can remember possibly since Windows 3.1 I could use File Explorer to go into any folder, select a File, click Ctrl-C to copy the file, and click Ctrl-V to paste it right there in the same folder. Of course, Windows doesn't allow two files to be in the same...
  3. Copy a file to the same folder - no longer appends the word "- Copy"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copy a file to the same folder - no longer appends the word "- Copy": For as long as I can remember possibly since Windows 3.1 I could use File Explorer to go into any folder, select a File, click Ctrl-C to copy the file, and click Ctrl-V to paste it right there in the same folder. Of course, Windows doesn't allow two files to be in the same...
  4. No longer copy/move files from folder to folder [long]

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No longer copy/move files from folder to folder [long]: Hi everyone,The o/s is W10 Pro with two account, the "main" one has always been admin standard and has never caused problems.The "secondary" is "user" and the one causing problems: I can no longer copy/move files in folder or from folder to folder. The desktop screen flashes...
  5. No longer copy/move files from folder to folder [long]

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No longer copy/move files from folder to folder [long]: Hi everyone,The o/s is W10 Pro with two account, the "main" one has always been admin standard and has never caused problems.The "secondary" is "user" and the one causing problems: I can no longer copy/move files in folder or from folder to folder. The desktop screen flashes...
  6. No longer copy/move files from folder to folder [long]

7. File Copies in Folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Copies in Folders: Using WIN not using One Drive -I made a new folder to copy certain documents into it to have a folder dedicated for a specific topic. I copied the files from one folder to the next. I made some changes to the names of the files. I closed the folder. When I reopened it later...
  8. File Copies in Folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Copies in Folders: Using WIN not using One Drive -I made a new folder to copy certain documents into it to have a folder dedicated for a specific topic. I copied the files from one folder to the next. I made some changes to the names of the files. I closed the folder. When I reopened it later...
  9. File Copies in Folders

10. How to copy a folder into same folder without creating copy of folder?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to copy a folder into same folder without creating copy of folder?: How do I do this in Windows 10? I have a folder of files, and I want to copy the folder and all of its contents onto an external hardisk which already contains a folder of the same name, and also contains some of the files that I am now trying to copy. Prior to Windows 10, a...