Windows 10: Copy a VHD file from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro?

Discus and support Copy a VHD file from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I have a licensed copy of XP running in XP Mode on a Win 7 Pro machine. I have seen instructions on the net for getting Hyper V up and running where I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Keremeos, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Keremeos Win User

Copy a VHD file from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro?

I have a licensed copy of XP running in XP Mode on a Win 7 Pro machine. I have seen instructions on the net for getting Hyper V up and running where I can create a new XP Mode VHD file, but, I would like to copy my own file from my Win 7 Pro machine (because it contains the key XP software that I want to keep running for another year or two).

Replacing that old software should probably be Plan "A" but it's only Plan "B" at this point (or possibly Plan "C").

Bruce Cavenaile
    , BC

:)

Keremeos, Mar 5, 2016

2. Windows 10 and 7 Pro OEM activation

Hi,

From what I understand the Win 10 Pro OEM key can be used to activate Win 7 Pro OEM. Bascially I have a request to build a PC with Win 7 Pro, as this is need for the software used by the business. I have run out of copies
    of Win 7 Pro OEM.

I've tried using a Win 10 Pro OEM key for a Win 7 Pro OEM activation, but it's not working, tells me the key is not valid. Am I suppose to install Win 10 pro OEM, activate it, and then install Win 7 pro OEM, and activate
    with the same key. I'm still getting orders for PCs with Win 7 Pro, and finally run out of copies.

What is the correct procedure to activate an Win 7 Pro OEM install with a Win 10 Pro OEM key?

Thanks

DavidKent1, Mar 5, 2016
  3. Win 10 Pro Upgrade from Win 8.1 Home. Have Uninstalled copies of Win 7 Pro.

I have a touch screen DELL laptop that currently has 8.1 home installed on it. I have 2 never installed copies of Win 7 Pro. Can I use the license from one of the uninstalled copies of WIN 7 Pro to get Win 10 Pro installed on my laptop. Or will I need to
    install Win 7 Pro on the laptop first to get the free upgrade to WIN 10 Pro?

Thanks in advance for your help.

JackyMcCarty, Mar 5, 2016
  4. sml156 Win User

sml156, Mar 6, 2016
  5. Keremeos Win User
    I had already taken a look at that thread. It appears to be going in the direction of installing XP in a new VHD file. Once I have Hyper V running, I want to copy my existing VHD file from my old Win 7 Pro machine over to my new Win 10 Pro machine. That file includes my licensed copy of XP plus my old software, already installed and functional.

My concern is whether or not I will need to do anything special in order for Hyper V to open / run that file.

Bruce Cavenaile
    , BC Canada

Keremeos, Mar 6, 2016
  6. Keremeos Win User
    Guess it's a little more complex than copying a single file. Just took a look at my XP Mode installation on my old Win 7 Pro system and it looks like there are a few folders to copy over, not just a single file......

Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained???

Bruce Cavenaile
    , BC Canada

Keremeos, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Copy a VHD file from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro? - Similar Threads - Copy VHD file

2. Switching from win 7 pro to win 10 pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Switching from win 7 pro to win 10 pro: I've been using windows 7 for 5 years now and I got a message from Microsoft saying windows 7 pc's are not in support anymore and I need to get a new pc. Of course I don't have the money for it so please tell me how to upgrade windows 7 pc to windows 10...
  3. I recently upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I recently upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro.: I recently upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro. Now EaseUS PartitionMaster Pro V7.01 brings up an alarm User Account Control and the app will not run....
  4. upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro

upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro: I have several times tried to upgrade my desktop dual boot Win XP and Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro using the downloaded ISO file, and keep my personal files and apps. It runs about 36 hours then fails. How can I make this upgrade? If not using the ISO file is there another...
  5. win 7 pro win 10 pro

win 7 pro win 10 pro: how do I upgrade from win 7 to win 10? I have product key for 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-pro-win-10-pro/931e1125-6737-4bec-821b-26fd3cc64bac
  6. Activating Win 10 pro with Win 7 pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating Win 10 pro with Win 7 pro: I installed Windows 10 pro as a VMware Workstation 14 Player Virtual Machine. I tried to activate it using the product key from an OEM Win7 pro DVD I purchased for a pc I built years ago (and then disassembled months ago). That didn't work. Any ideas? Thanks for any...
  7. Going from Win 7 pro to Win 10 pro

Going from Win 7 pro to Win 10 pro: Using FREE to paid 3d parties, what is your suggestions to be able to reinstall my current programs running with Win 7 pro, to win 10 pro Some programs, such as iTunes, I find tricky to re-set-up if upgraded, or moved--This, for sure is not an Apple question, but I have...
  8. Upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro

Upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro: I purchased an upgrade to Win 10 Pro from a Microsoft certified seller. The problem I'm having is the upgrade keeps hanging up around 80% install. I'm running an MSI motherboard MSI Z975SSLI Krait Edition (MS 7922) 64 bit Intel core i5-4690 3.5 Ghz 38 GB memory. Can...
  9. Win 7 Pro to Win 10

Win 7 Pro to Win 10: Upgraded, appeared to be fine. Now printer doesn't print. Shows as default, but won't print...*Sad 10819
  10. Need to upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro

Need to upgrade Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro: My first PC I upgraded did not upgrade to Pro. So I want to download the media for Pro, and upgrade with it. When I go to the MS site to download, it does not offer me a selection of versions to download. Can anyone suggest where to find the Pro Win 10 download, or a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 7 pro vhd