Windows 10: Copy and Paste problem - Windows won't do it

Discus and support Copy and Paste problem - Windows won't do it in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Never had a problem before in copying and pasting files, from one External Hdd to another External Hdd. All of a sudden windows 10 will not let... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by metro5053, Jan 23, 2016.

1. metro5053 Win User

Copy and Paste problem - Windows won't do it

Hi,
    Never had a problem before in copying and pasting files, from one External Hdd to another External Hdd.
    All of a sudden windows 10 will not let me copy and paste multiple files, will only let me copy and paste single files only. I have used copy and paste, Ctrl C and Ctrl V, used copy to folder and paste to folder. Got me baffled, and ideas pleas, help is much appreciated
    Thanks and Regards
    Bob

:)

metro5053, Jan 23, 2016

2. Copy and Paste problem - Windows won't do it

Can't copy and paste multiple files, will only let me copy and paste single files only.

LOW WAI LOONG, Jan 23, 2016
  3. Copy and Paste problem - Windows won't do it

Hi,

In order for us to find out what causes the copy and paste issue that you're experiencing, we would like to gather more information:

• What is the current build and version of your Windows 10?
    • Did you make any changes on your computer prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

Regards.

Dennis Mop, Jan 23, 2016
  4. Whatphoeb Win User

Whatphoeb, Jan 23, 2016
  5. metro5053 Win User
    Hi,
    have run SFC/Scannow, it says no problems. Strange

metro5053, Jan 24, 2016
  6. KeithM Win User
    Try File Explorer Options -> View tab -> Reset Folders.

Copy and Paste problem - Windows won't do it [​IMG]

Keith

KeithM, Jan 24, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    Have you tried using Copy To or Move To context menu ?
    Use this tutorial. It is applicable to Win 10. I used it myself. There may have a similar tutorial for Windows 10 Tutorials. I'm too lazy to look for it. I am used to this one.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ve-folder.html

Once you have them enabled, go to the folder where you want to "drag & drop" items.
    Copy To procedures :
    Press Ctrl key and hold > click at the files you want to "drag" > when done, right click at one of them > click Copy To > navigate to the location you want to copy to > click the location > click Copy.

Same procedures using the Move To option.

One of the advantages of Copy To and Move To is that you never have to worry about "dropping" the items to the wrong folder.
    It requires you to select the folder first and then it will do the Copy To or Move To itself.

davidhk, Jan 24, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

bro67, Jan 24, 2016
  9. metro5053 Win User
    Hey bor67,
    That worked a treat, back to normal, never gave the clipboard a thought, thought windows cleared the clipboard on exit. Also thanks for all those that offered help, it is really appreciated
    Regards
    Bob

metro5053, Jan 24, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    It should but does not always clear it.

bro67, Jan 24, 2016
  11. vargat Win User
    Hi,
    I have the exact same trouble (unable to move large folders). I did try your remedy and created a shortcut "clear clipboard" based on your link/tutorial.
    However, when I click on the shortcut, it gives me a command line window with C:\Windows› promting me to enter something.
    Any idea what I might have done wrong?
    Thanks in advance,
    T

vargat, Jul 13, 2016
  12. Keith,
    Not many users like you knew a lot of things.
    It will be a great help if you could write more details.
    Thanks.

chainleigh, Jul 31, 2016
  13. ProTech Win User

*Think
    Unfortunately while it is generally a good idea to provide more detail, in the above response it will not help. Resetting your folder view will not help you copy a folder from one external drive to another. All it will do is attempt to restore the default view of the folder you currently have open.

*Huh
    You should think about it logically and ask yourself why would I reset a folder view, and then if I needed to do that, would I reset the sending or the receiving folder? While I don't have the answer to the original post, I would not recommend attempting this fix - some may be tempted to reset all folder views globally, but that's just a waste of time and will destroy any custom views you have set up.

A more likely cause of this issue would be security permissions or some sort of corruption. I have the same issue as the original post, and I found that the folder in question had its ownership set to a long string of numbers and dashes, and when I tried to take ownership of it and its subfolders I was told one of the files was corrupted.

ProTech, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Copy and Paste problem - Windows won't do it - Similar Threads - Copy Paste problem

2. Copy and paste problem in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copy and paste problem in windows 11: I can't able to copy and paste on my laptop. I tried in many ways to fix this by watching videos on YouTube but no use. it is showing 400 Bad requests while pasting something. my laptop specs arewindows11, 11th generation* Moved from Community Center...
  3. Copy and paste problem in windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copy and paste problem in windows 11: I can't able to copy and paste on my laptop. I tried in many ways to fix this by watching videos on YouTube but no use. it is showing 400 Bad requests while pasting something. my laptop specs arewindows11, 11th generation* Moved from Community Center...
  4. Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Can't Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Can't Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem: Hi, I have a computer with Windows 10. But for some reason, recently Micosoft Edge when right click, suddenly has no option for copy but only option for copy links. So I tried system restore and reset my computer, because I do not know what else to do. But after a while,...
  5. Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Can't Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Can't Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem: Hi, I have a computer with Windows 10. But for some reason, recently Micosoft Edge when right click, suddenly has no option for copy but only option for copy links. So I tried system restore and reset my computer, because I do not know what else to do. But after a while,...
  6. Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Cannot Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Microsoft Edge Cannot Copy and Paste But Firefox Copy and Paste No Problem: Hi, I have a computer with Windows 10. But for some reason, recently Micosoft Edge when right click, suddenly has no option for copy but only option for copy links. So I tried system restore and reset my computer, because I do not know what else to do. But after a while,...
  7. Copy and paste problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Copy and paste problem: I am having problems with my copy/paste function.I have 2777 photos JPEG on a dvd and am trying to copy/paste to a portable 2GB SSD hard drive.When I open F: where the dvd is, when I click Select All then copy then paste to iDriveWiFiD: SSD, it will start pasting. When it...
  8. File Explorer Won't Copy or Paste

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Won't Copy or Paste: I've been trying to copy, paste and delete files on a couple of USB sticks and I've just run into problem after problem. Usually everything works fine, but today I've had some really weird things happen. When I was trying to copy and paste files, it said I could copy and...
  9. Problem with copy paste to sd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem with copy paste to sd: Hi, i have a problem and i can't find any solution. I have built my own device, this device read data from microsd cards. The data in microsd are just txt files. My problem is that when i c/p the data to sd from windows 7 system, everything works fine! My device read the data...
  10. Problems with Copy and Paste

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems with Copy and Paste: Hi I'm new here and new to Windows 10, which installed itself onto my computer just recently. I have some folders I like to backup to Dropbox and in Windows 7 I would simply copy the folder and then past into the Dropbox window and I would get an option, amongst other...