Windows 10: Copy/Clone of HDD used for Windows Backups

Discus and support Copy/Clone of HDD used for Windows Backups in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I use a 500 gb external HDD to store Windows backup files and System Images. I do a backup each morning. The 500gb external HDD stays connected to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by jmx, Jul 7, 2018.

1. JMX
    jmx Win User

Copy/Clone of HDD used for Windows Backups

I use a 500 gb external HDD to store Windows backup files and System Images. I do a backup each morning. The 500gb external HDD stays connected to the computer and holds approximately 10 System Images in addition to the file backups

A few days ago, I used Macrium Reflect (MR) to make a clone of my 500 gb backup HDD. I wanted a backup of the backup to keep in a drawer.

Unfortunately, if I try to use the MR clone HDD to restore a System Image using Windows, Windows only lists the last System Image instead of the approximately 10 System Images that I know are on the cloned HDD. (Windows appears to be treating the cloned HDD like a network backup - listing only the last System Image).

I have not used MR to make backups. If I start using MR for backups, will I be able to clone the MR backup HDD and then store it in a drawer. If the answer is yes, will I be able to select System Images off of the clone when I try to use MR to restore a System Image off of the cloned HDD?

Thanks for any info or suggestions.

:)

2. OOLuigiOo Win User

Failing HDD and Cloning

You seem intend on this install clean install windows when I have said windows does not run on that drive and TeraCopy doesn't even budge anymore.
    for moving files from that drive. Then there are those that have suggested imaging and 1 or 2 that talked about cloning software.

I now have 3 HDDs left...

So nothing is copying, no cloning and imaging, now what?

OOLuigiOo, Jul 7, 2018
  3. DayKnight Win User
    Cloned HDD wont boot

Background: Two partitions on HDD. Bought a new HDD and this is what happened...

Program I use is Easeus disk copy. It has 2 modes to clone data. Clone disk and clone partition. Whenever I tried the option that only copied the primary/windows partition, I got an error at boot. When I did the whole HDD copy, everything worked like a charm.

No, I had no important windows files in that second partition. It only had my important files.

DayKnight, Jul 7, 2018
  4. Copy/Clone of HDD used for Windows Backups

Failing HDD and Cloning

Physical damage then? If not even a software that is designed to skip over bad sectors can get what you're looking for then maybe that's it for this drive? I'm sure that there are experts on data retrieval out there that can take a shot at it but it's not guaranteed that they'll get anything out of it.

Did you try to just copy some files one at a time to see if the drive cooperates, as suggested? This old 320GB drive wouldn't copy folders but would do the contents of the folders one at a time.

tabascosauz, Jul 7, 2018
Thema:

Copy/Clone of HDD used for Windows Backups

1. Copy/Clone of HDD used for Windows Backups - Similar Threads - Copy Clone HDD

2. Window clone HDD To SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Window clone HDD To SSD: Hello firstly window runs on HDD after I did clone the window HDD to SSD he has done it successfully but the EFI system partition can't migrate to SSD. I want to run a complete window partition on SSD 250GB. Activated os windows10 Thank you...
  3. Software for clone HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Software for clone HDD: Windows version 1909 (build 18363 1256) Good morning I am looking for software that can clone my HDD to USB external HDD. (I see there is a lot of them) but I need one that if my laptop HDD crash, I can just put the USB external HDD in and Clone it back to the laptop HDD....
  4. HDD to SSD clone.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD to SSD clone.: Want to transfer my whole operating system along with the data from a HDD to a SSD but don't know how to do it. Help needed. SSD not yet bought so suggestion on what company to buy from are welcome. Currently using western digital wd10spzx-60z10t0 1TB. Let me know if more...
  5. Cloning hdd ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning hdd ?: Hello I just bought a 3tb hdd and I want to move/ copy all my games from one hdd to another. So the question is is it possible to transfer just games to new hdd without re-downloading all the games. Also I plan on wiping old hdd clean for to use as another storage device on...
  6. Cloning a hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning a hdd to ssd: 1t to 250 gig ssd using MiniTool Partition Free. Very little on the hdd and I never even fill up a 128g ssd !! Anything I have to be aware of ? Thanks 143870
  7. cloning a HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cloning a HDD: I have tried the following cloning software (aomei, Marium Reflect 7; MiniTool; Easeus TODO; clonezilla. they all have one thing in common, they don't produce a bootable/recogizable drive. Any ideas on how i can resolve the replacement of my laptop HDD? Cheers/Thanks...
  8. Online backup service that stores a cloned copy

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Online backup service that stores a cloned copy: I've heard some good things about Backblaze but they don't have the option to store a cloned copy of the hard drive. Does anyone know a backup service that can do that? So in the event of a hard-disk failure I could be up and running pretty fast. Then from there just continue...
  9. HDD Cloning issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HDD Cloning issues: Hello, I have tried to "clone" a laptop, UEFI/GPT, HDD using Macrium and AOMEI Partition Assistant and it seems to work fine, but the resulting "clones" are not bootable. Am I missing something? Thanks, Jim 44246
  10. Clone HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clone HDD to SSD: Most regulars here recommend and use Macrium Reflect Free which will work on ANY drive. 93058