Windows 10: Copy files from old drive Home vs Pro

Discus and support Copy files from old drive Home vs Pro in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have experienced one of the least publicized differences between Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Home. I brought home a new IBUYPOWER machine and only "Home"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JerryLan, Aug 13, 2017.

1. JerryLan Win User

Copy files from old drive Home vs Pro

I have experienced one of the least publicized differences between Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Home. I brought home a new IBUYPOWER machine and only "Home" was offered. I cloned the tiny 120GB SSD onto a new 480GB SSD and put the 120 in a drawer. That works well.

The problem is that I tried unsuccessfully to connect my old drive from my previous machine with a SATA to USB3 cable device to copy the old files, pictures, ect. Files not under the "Users" folder are fine, but Win 10 Home would not allow me to request access/control to my account folder on the connected drive even though it is the same user name and password.

Short of paying the money to upgrade to PRO just for this feature, (I don't need domain access or Bitlocker) is there another alternative?

:)

JerryLan, Aug 13, 2017
  2. TomWitte Win User

Live mail tile won't work

I'm having the same issue with Calendar and Mail live tiles on a Surface Pro 3 I bought a week ago (it came with Windows 10 Pro pre-installed). The Calendar and Mail live tiles do not show or update with any information even though they are enabled.

Oddly, I just updated an old Samsung laptop to Windows 10 Home a couple days ago (from W7 Home) and all live tiles are working fine on that device. Home vs. Pro thing? Pre-installed vs. update thing? Both? Other? I dunno.

TomWitte, Aug 13, 2017
  3. Deleting File History Location

I am currently using Win 10 Pro - Upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro. I have historically used a Server running Win Server 2011 SE to save my file history. That is currently out of space so I have added a separate network storage drive to our home network.

I am able to successfully add the new storage location to File History and it will do a full save.

Issue: At reboot, each time the File History drive reverts back to the old location on my old Server that is out of space. Is there a way I can remove that old path? To make file history work now, after a reboot, I have to manually change the drive to
    the new external network storage drive. That new storage location has a complete copy but each time after reboot I have to point it to this location.

Thank you for your help!

Rajeeb Das, Aug 13, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. A username is for humans Windows gives it sid a long list of numbers so when you try to read it even though the name is the same the sid isn't so you need to take ownership of the folders then you can read them they should show owned by a long. Number

Samuria, Aug 13, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Highlighted the solution.....

NavyLCDR, Aug 13, 2017
  6. JerryLan Win User
    Ah, yes. Taking ownership. Something I have done hundreds of times as a Windows PRO user. Unfortunately Microsoft has crippled this ability in Windows 10 HOME which is what my new system shipped with. I need a different solution.

JerryLan, Aug 13, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    There is no difference in taking ownership between my Home system and my Pro system. Provided, that is, that you are logged in with an administrator account.

What you need is to describe in what way your system seems 'crippled' so that we can offer solutions. What error messages do you see when you try to take ownership, for instance?

8. Rocky Win User

1. A home edition has the exact same function for this as a Pro edition.
    2. A 120 gb SSD is plenty big for a C: drive. I have been using a 120 gb SSD as my C: drive for Windows 10 for a couple of years and it has never gotten over about 65 gb. You can use your 120 gb SSD as a C: drive and use the larger SSD as a data drive.

Rocky, Aug 13, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    What they said +1. Taking ownership of files and folders is not crippled in Home. It works exactly the same way as it does in Pro.

NavyLCDR, Aug 14, 2017
  10. Samuria Win User
    Samuria, Aug 14, 2017
  11. Rocky Win User
    I just checked the properties of my current Windows 10 installation and it is a total of 46 gb large. I have a lot of different audio and video editing programs installed in addition to all of the other programs that I use daily, and 46 gb is the total size of my entire C: drive.

You should consider changing back to the 120 gb SSD for your C: drive and use the larger drive for a data drive.

Also, stick with Windows 10 home because you are not going to get anything useful out of upgrading to Windows 10 Pro.

Rocky, Aug 14, 2017
  12. Boy, that really depends on your installed programs. No two installations are the same. The PC I use most has 108GB on the C drive. My Program Files(x86) is over 40GB all by itself. (Yes, I could have installed many of them on a different drive but I wanted them on my only SSD.) I have 16GB of AppData because I have several programs that use ApdData files - both Local and Roaming - as data repositories. (Bad design, in my opinion. but they forgot to ask me. *Smile) My system would fit in that 120GB you are recommending, but I've got another 298GB on my D drive.

As far as I know there is no downside to keeping the 480GB SSD ... if it's been paid for. It may be needed in the future.

Again, it depends. Having the Group Policy Editor pushed me to Pro.

pokeefe0001, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Copy files from old drive Home vs Pro - Similar Threads - Copy files old

2. copying files from drive a: to drive b:

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    copying files from drive a: to drive b:: I am using windows 10 home.I copies 1 folder from a to b.However when I compare the 2 folders it does not matchIs there a windows program to compare the 2 folders and see what is missing.Thanks very much...
  3. copying files from drive a: to drive b:

in Windows 10 Gaming
    copying files from drive a: to drive b:: I am using windows 10 home.I copies 1 folder from a to b.However when I compare the 2 folders it does not matchIs there a windows program to compare the 2 folders and see what is missing.Thanks very much...
  4. copying files from drive a: to drive b:

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. copying files from old cd unpossible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    copying files from old cd unpossible: Can't copy files from CD cut 2005 to Windows 10 office https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copying-files-from-old-cd-unpossible/921663dd-0ad6-42f0-895c-e6d1e67aa561
  6. copying files from old cd unpossible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    copying files from old cd unpossible: Can't copy files from CD cut 2005 to Windows 10 office https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copying-files-from-old-cd-unpossible/921663dd-0ad6-42f0-895c-e6d1e67aa561
  7. copying files from old cd unpossible

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Home vs Pro Permissions

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Home vs Pro Permissions: Hello, I am the administrator on a church PC running Windows 10 HOME. I'm consistently having issues with other users changing settings, downloading and installing software, and otherwise just making my job much more difficult. I'm constantly fixing something that someone...
  9. Copy images files from old hard drive to another

in Windows 10 Support
    Copy images files from old hard drive to another: I found an old hard drive which I want to format, not before I transfer all the photos there, It's just that it's so old I wanted to know if there's a faster way than to search for them. Maybe there's a way to find all images files (jpeg, png) and copy them? ty 66410
  10. 8.1 to 10 - Home vs Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    8.1 to 10 - Home vs Pro: Been out of the loop for around 12 days and I am curious about the upgrade to 10. After trying various TP's on a separate hard drive I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my 8.1 using 10166, it was then updated to 10240 as a pro edition. After missing the 29th launch I got...