Windows 10: Copy images files from old hard drive to another

Discus and support Copy images files from old hard drive to another in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I found an old hard drive which I want to format, not before I transfer all the photos there, It's just that it's so old I wanted to know if there's a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mibaup, Oct 8, 2016.

1. mibaup Win User

Copy images files from old hard drive to another

I found an old hard drive which I want to format, not before I transfer all the photos there,
    It's just that it's so old I wanted to know if there's a faster way than to search for them.
    Maybe there's a way to find all images files (jpeg, png) and copy them?

ty

:)

mibaup, Oct 8, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Copy OS to new drive on Windows 10

Forget the useless 'Microsoft Support Engineer.'

What you want to do is accomplished with disk imaging software.

A disk image is an identical copy of a hard drive, stored in a single file. With disk imaging software, you can create an identical copy of your old SSD and copy it to your new SSD. This is the only way to copy the entire contents of a Windows system drive
    to another hard drive.

New hard drives from the major manufacturers usually include disk imaging software and instructions for using it.

Replacing hard drives is a routine procedure and it's quite safe. However, it is complicated. Do some research on the web and get comfortable with the process before you start. I'm sure you'll have no trouble.

BulldogXX, Oct 8, 2016
  3. Time Lady Win User
    How to transfer program files between computers

I personally use Macrium reflect to image my laptop then when I clean install I can mount the image (after installing Macrium) & copy all my personal files back to the pc. This would also work the same when transferring files from one pc to another.

The other way would be to remove the hard drive from the old pc & place it into a hard drive caddy & plug it in to the new pc to move files that way.

Time Lady, Oct 8, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

Using Robocopy from a command prompt is probably the easiest way. Say your old drive is H: and you want to copy all photos you can find on H: into D:\photos - then open a command prompt and type:

robocopy H:\ D:\photos *.jpg *.jpeg *.png /s

Note there are two alternative extensions for 'jpegs'. The /s option will copy all subdirectories containing your chosen image file types and create copies of the files and directories under D:\photos (it will be necessary to create the same directory structure if two images from different folders share identical names). You could usefully add other image file types if you wish *.tiff, *.bmp and *.raw for example.

Bree, Oct 9, 2016
  5. Steve C Win User
    Good idea. I was thinking of suggesting XCOPY but the above seems better.

Steve C, Oct 9, 2016
  6. Bree New Member
    Yes, XCOPY would work too. I'm old enough to remember when it was first introduced in DOS 3.2 and I've been using it ever since. RoboCopy came in with Windows 7 and is much more powerful, but XCOPY is still there if you prefer.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../ee851678.aspx

Bree, Oct 9, 2016
  7. It would be easy if you assigned all your image folders the the pictures library. Libraries were added in Windows 7 to be able to store like files in separate folders but view them at the same time.

orlbuckeye, Oct 9, 2016
  8. Bree New Member

Yes, but the OP doesn't want to keep the old drive permanently attached. They want to retrieve all images from the old drive before reformatting it and using it for something else.

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Copy images files from old hard drive to another - Similar Threads - Copy images files

2. Unable to copy Files from external hard drive to c drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to copy Files from external hard drive to c drive.: Hello,Im in the process of trying to sell my desktop unit but I need to get the computer info a fit enough state for anyone to take it. The main drawback I have is that for some reason I am unable to copy files from my external hard drive to the c drive. For some files it...
  3. Unable to copy Files from external hard drive to c drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to copy Files from external hard drive to c drive.: Hello,Im in the process of trying to sell my desktop unit but I need to get the computer info a fit enough state for anyone to take it. The main drawback I have is that for some reason I am unable to copy files from my external hard drive to the c drive. For some files it...
  4. Copying files from one drive to another

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Copying files from one drive to another: Hello, I am copying my useless files from my small storaged ssd to my harddrive, but when i copy over the files their sizes are 10x bigger, the files im copying is only 7.20 gb large but it's copying 70gb worth of storage to my hdd? Please give answers :) submitted by...
  5. copying from one external hard drive to another

copying from one external hard drive to another: I am trying to copy a large folder of photo files from one external hard drive to another in Windows 10. I used a drag and drop command and the resulting window showed progress as I could see the names of individual photo files showing briefly. After the copy process...
  6. Deleting system files from an old hard drive

Deleting system files from an old hard drive: I followed this script: " OK, open a Command Prompt window as Administrator Windows + X keys together and then select Command Prompt Admin from the resulting menu Run each of these commands and press enter after each one, this will remove the old Program Files Folder...
  7. Can't copy and paste files from one hard drive to another. Both drives are NTFS...... Error...

Can't copy and paste files from one hard drive to another. Both drives are NTFS...... Error...: The title basically explains everything going on here. I am trying to move my FL Studio files to a different drive because it is taking up all my space on my main SSD. I've been searching online all day for information about what is the issue and it seems all people have for...
  8. Copy one hard drive "in toto" and move to another hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Copy one hard drive "in toto" and move to another hard drive: I have purchased a 2 TB Samsung SSD to replace a 2 TB Toshiba HD - it is the system boot drive. What software have you successfully used to move one drive to the other - so that when I power off and remove the Toshiba HD, the system boots from the new 2 TB Samsung SSD???...
  9. Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive

Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive: Hello, My laptop recently broke that was running Windows 7. I bought a new laptop that is running Windows 10. Since my old laptop would not start, I bought a hard drive enclosure so I could move everything off my old hard drive onto my new one. I am confused with exactly...
  10. Recovering Images from Old External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recovering Images from Old External Hard Drive: Just this evening I found the external hard drive used with our last PC. I have not connected it to our current PC in fear of making some dreadful mistake. My goal is to retrieve all jpg image files from that old drive. Note, I use File History to save files from our current...