Windows 10: Copy OS to new HDD

Discus and support Copy OS to new HDD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, Installed 2nd larger HD, could you help with the easiest way to copy the current c drive including os to the new drive please. Many... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PJB, Feb 24, 2018.

1. PJB
    PJB Win User

Copy OS to new HDD

Hi all,

Installed 2nd larger HD, could you help with the easiest way to copy the current c drive including os to the new drive please.

Many thanks

Paul

:)

2. Data lost when transacted in a HDD which was shutdown using hibernate option

Hi,

I had a trouble with one of HDD in laptop so i bought a new one.

To copy data before i changed HDD which already had OS,i shutdown the laptop,took out the faulty HDD and connected the new HDD and booted the OS.

Now i connected the faulty HDD as external drive and copied data from it to new HDD which was earlier shutdown using hibernate option.

But post restart the HDD shows freedrive space to be occipued but no data or folders to be seen.Please help.this has around 8 years of data.

Subramanyam S V (COMMUNICATIONS), Feb 24, 2018
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    Stop Recovery Loop on Old System Drive Hooked Up as USB

Stan,

If I understand you correctly, you are booting up the new computer with the old HDD already connected.

• That will confuse Windows.
    • The old HDD still has a signature on it that identifies itself as a disk containing
      the OS so Windows is trying to cope with both that signature & the signature on your new computer's own HDD which also has a signature saying that it contains
      the OS.

Disconnect the old HDD then boot up the new computer and only then connect the old HDD to copy files across from it.

Denis

Tryx3, Feb 24, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

Copy OS to new HDD

Any free disk imaging software will do it simply create a boot DVD of the software boot from it then select clone the disk to the new one most will give an option to change partition size in the process. Once done set new drive to to disk 0 disconnect old drive at first to ensure the new drives boots OK

Samuria, Feb 24, 2018
  5. AddRAM Win User
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free It says it does direct disk cloning.

Personally, I created a boot USB stick, complete with USB 3 drivers inserted, I used it the other day to image my new 860 Pro with W10 FCU from a 850 Pro.

I`ve never done a disk copy, but I`m sure it`s just as easy.

Then format the old drive if you are going to use it for storage.

It has to be marked inactive or windows will not let you format it.

I would just delete it down to unallocated space, then create a NTFS partition, format it and align it, all done with Partition Wizard.

Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT use Diskpart unless you know what you are doing.

AddRAM, Feb 24, 2018
  6. PJB
    PJB Win User
    Thank you very much, as ever

7. Dlambert Win User
    I moved system to new SSD once with a free software and booted up successfully from SSD. The software is also all-around partition manager because I resized my partition with that tool without losing data. Here is the tutorial that had guided me: Copy OS to new hard drive. Hope it is helpful to you.
    BTW, do not forget to change boot priority to the target disk. Kind regards.

Dlambert, Feb 25, 2018
  8. AddRAM Win User

Copy OS to new HDD

Yes, AOMEI is also a great program.

AddRAM, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Copy OS to new HDD

1. Copy OS to new HDD - Similar Threads - Copy HDD

2. How to copy data from HDD that appears in GPT protective partition mode Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to copy data from HDD that appears in GPT protective partition mode Desktop: If you have replaced the old HDD, for example with a new SSD, and want to copy data from the old HDD, you may face the problem of the disk in GPT protective partition mode. Connecting the old HDD as an external drive may not be the ideal solution, as the operating system may...
  3. How to copy data from HDD that appears in GPT protective partition mode Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to copy data from HDD that appears in GPT protective partition mode Desktop: If you have replaced the old HDD, for example with a new SSD, and want to copy data from the old HDD, you may face the problem of the disk in GPT protective partition mode. Connecting the old HDD as an external drive may not be the ideal solution, as the operating system may...
  4. How to copy data from HDD that appears in GPT protective partition mode Desktop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. How to copy data from old HDD that appears in GPT protective partition mode

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to copy data from old HDD that appears in GPT protective partition mode: If you have replaced the old HDD, for example with a new SSD, and want to copy data from the old HDD, you may face the problem of the disk in GPT protective partition mode. Connecting the old HDD as an external drive may not be the ideal solution, as the operating system may...
  6. How to copy data from old HDD that appears in GPT protective partition mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to copy data from old HDD that appears in GPT protective partition mode: If you have replaced the old HDD, for example with a new SSD, and want to copy data from the old HDD, you may face the problem of the disk in GPT protective partition mode. Connecting the old HDD as an external drive may not be the ideal solution, as the operating system may...
  7. How to copy data from old HDD that appears in GPT protective partition mode

8. How to copy certain files from multiple HDD to one HDD in NAS?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to copy certain files from multiple HDD to one HDD in NAS?: Is it possible to have hard drives in a NAS to copy only certain files from multiple hard drives in my computer automatically, whether this is set as a weekly routine or if I instigate when it happens?...
  9. How to copy certain files from multiple HDD to one HDD in NAS?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to copy certain files from multiple HDD to one HDD in NAS?: Is it possible to have hard drives in a NAS to copy only certain files from multiple hard drives in my computer automatically, whether this is set as a weekly routine or if I instigate when it happens?...
  10. How to copy certain files from multiple HDD to one HDD in NAS?

Users found this page by searching for:

1. os copy to 2nd hdd