Windows 10: Copy Text from Picture in OneNote

Discus and support Copy Text from Picture in OneNote in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Copy Text from Picture in OneNote [img] Information Let's start with a quote from Wikipedia: Microsoft OneNote is a computer program... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Copy Text from Picture in OneNote

How to: Copy Text from Picture in OneNote

Copy Text from Picture in OneNote [​IMG]
    Information Let's start with a quote from Wikipedia:

(From Microsoft OneNote - Wikipedia)

I am a keen OneNote user. It allows me to make quick notes and keep track of events far better than Sticky Notes, in itself also a good note taking app but lacking the sophisticated advanced features of OneNote.

OneNote is at its best in Windows 10 with Microsoft Edge browser. You'll find an interesting site, article, tutorial, image, whatever, simply click the Web Note button:

Make your notes, highlight what you want to or snap a region, then save the note:

That's it. The note will be added to OneNote, showing page title from where the note was taken (#1), the note itself (#2), and the link to original page (#3):

See Microsoft OneNote | The digital note-taking app for your devices to get started with OneNote.

In this short tutorial I will show one really practical feature of OneNote, extracting text from an image or a photo. Unfortunately this tutorial applies to desktop versions of Office OneNote 2010, 2013 and 2016 only; the free native Windows 10 OneNote and OneNote web apps can most of what full version can but copying text from images is not supported.

Contents [/i] Click links to jump to any part

[table][tr][td]Part One:[/td] [td]Copy (extract) text from an image[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Part Two:[/td] [td]Make text in image searchable[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]Part Three:[/td] [td]A practical tip for TenForums volunteers [/td] [/tr] [/table]

Part One [/i] Copy (extract) text from an image
    1.1)
    Copy & Paste any image to OneNote. It can be from the web, from your PC, imported from a camera or mobile device, scanned, any image acquired in any way.

For this tutorial I have scanned my most valuable earthly possession *Wink hanging on my study wall, a lifetime lease on a square foot of land on Islay, Scotland which I received years ago as a thank you for being a devoted fan and friend of their products. I will use an extract of this scanned image here as an example.

1.2) I have pasted the image in OneNote. Right click the image, select Copy Text from Picture:

1.3) Done! Now I can paste the text to any document (Notepad, Word, forums post etc.). Here I've pasted it to OneNote, notice that because the original scan is not very good quality OneNote had issues in understanding one word (#1), and it took an image as number 4 (#2):

1.4) Fixing the one wrongly spelled word, removing the extra digit OneNote thought an image to represent, and adding paragraph breakes, the text is completely readable and understandable when you compare the image (#1) and text extracted from it (#2):

Part Two [/i] Make text in image searchable
    2.1)
    To search text in image, right click it, select Make Text in Image Searchable and select language:

2.2) You can now search text in image as if it was a text note:

Part Three [/i] A practical tip for TenForums volunteers
    3.1) In our world distances between countries do not mean what they used to. Many of us are living in multilingual environment, having expatriated to other countries or are working on multinational companies working language often being not our native language.

The same here on Ten Forums; we truly are a global community of volunteers, helping across the physical borders. Occasionally we meet a language barrier, OP's written English being not enough to translate for instance an error message but he / she manages to post a screenshot. This example one is in my native Finnish, a language that not many here could understand if I posted this error message asking help to resolve an issue:

3.2) No problem! Simply extract text from the screenshot as told in Part One and paste it on Microsoft Translator (also known as Bing Translator):

3.3) Now it will be easier to assist an OP when error message screenshot has been translated to your language

That's it geeks Copy Text from Picture in OneNote :)

Kari

:)

Brink, Dec 16, 2015

2. OneNote “Copy Text from Picture”

I have a new computer. I have been using a feature of OneNote to “Copy Text from Picture”.
    When I try to use this same feature with my new computer and I right click on the image I pasted in OneNote and
    “Copy Text from Picture” does not appear as a menu option. What do I need to do to get
    “Copy Text from Picture” functional with my new computer.

JimPilgrim, Oct 26, 2019
  3. copy pics from OneNote

• I would like to put pictures from OneNote on my phone to a text message on my phone.
    • No
    • No

JamesNeely, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Copy Text from Picture in OneNote

OneNote “Copy Text from Picture”

Its kind of crazy, but I thought I terminated the installation of Office from the link you sent me, but I got a notification that it was successfully installed. But there were problems when I tried to open documents created in Office 2010. So I uninstalled
    Office from the link you sent me. When I checked to see if the UN-installation had worked (It did) there was OneNote 2016. I tried the "Copy Text From Picture" and it worked.

Many thanks for your help.

Jim

JimPilgrim, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Copy Pics or files from OneNote and attach to text message

Hi James.

The option to copy the pictures from OneNote and paste it in a text message is unavailable. As a workaround, we suggest that you take a screenshot of your pictures from your OneNote by pressing and holding the
    power button + home button of Windows at the same time. The screenshot photos will automatically save on your Gallery and you can send or attach it through Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS).

Should you have any further concerns, please let us know and we're always here to help.

Regards.

Dennis Zac, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Copy Pics or files from OneNote and attach to text message

Does anyone know how to copy a picture in OneNote and paste it in a text message (both on my phone)? Microsoft phone.

Moved from: Office / OneNote / Windows 10 / Office 365 Home

JamesNeely, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Copy Text from Picture in OneNote

1. Copy Text from Picture in OneNote - Similar Threads - Copy Text Picture

2. going from picture to picture adding a text

in Windows 10 Gaming
    going from picture to picture adding a text: I know how to add text to a photo, I save it, then bring in another photo and try to add text to it. it will not work. I hit the text symbol again, try to hit the photo to add the text and it jumps back to 2D shapes icon? it won;t let me add text to pictures back to back...
  3. going from picture to picture adding a text

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    going from picture to picture adding a text: I know how to add text to a photo, I save it, then bring in another photo and try to add text to it. it will not work. I hit the text symbol again, try to hit the photo to add the text and it jumps back to 2D shapes icon? it won;t let me add text to pictures back to back...
  4. Copy a picture

Copy a picture: Hello! I'm trying to copy a picture I have in the Windows 11 Pictures folder by clicking it to select it and then pressing Ctrl+C.A look in the Clipboard shows there's no copy.I then tried a right click on the picture and in the context menu chose Copy but this also...
  5. text on pictures

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    text on pictures: Does anyone know an app that is free that you can text on pictures https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/text-on-pictures/2bee9910-a8af-43ab-9440-17f314cea2f8
  6. Copy & Paste Picture Problem Producing Random Text

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copy & Paste Picture Problem Producing Random Text: Hi, I hope someone can help with this one. I don't know if this is a Win 10 or Office 16 issue, but: I write a lot of reports and need to paste pictures in to the Word doc. For a while now if I copy a picture it can be one stored on my HD or a web page or Google Earth...
  7. OneNote: Text invisible/disappears

OneNote: Text invisible/disappears: When using OneNote sometimes parts of the text disappears/become invisible. These parts only appears again when I hover mouse cursor over the text or when I change to another page or close OneNote and open again. I'm using OneNote (Versão 16001.11629.20028.0), Windows 10...
  8. copy a onenote notebook

in Windows 10 Customization
    copy a onenote notebook: I looked at https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_onenote-mso_other/this-is-how-to-copy-a-onenote-notebook/6c905b62-04da-4f9c-807b-1eebcf2a1313?page=2 But this no longer seems correct information. There is no File menu in version...
  9. OneNote "Copy Text from Picture"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    OneNote "Copy Text from Picture": I have a new computer. I have been using a feature of OneNote to “Copy Text from Picture”. When I try to use this same feature with my new computer and I right click on the image I pasted in OneNote and “Copy Text from Picture” does not appear as a menu option. What do I...
  10. Copying text

in Windows 10 Customization
    Copying text: After I have selected (i.e., highlighted) text (in Word, emails, the internet) I wish to copy, when I right click to access the Copy function in the drop-down box the selection (i.e., highlighting) disappears before I can copy the text....