Windows 10: Copy WinSXS file to usb drive

Discus and support Copy WinSXS file to usb drive in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have two desktops - exactly same specs - Windows 10 10240. One runs SFC Scannow showing no corruption and DISM with no errors. The other has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by JohnBurns, Aug 17, 2015.

1. JohnBurns Win User

Copy WinSXS file to usb drive

I have two desktops - exactly same specs - Windows 10 10240. One runs SFC Scannow showing no corruption and DISM with no errors. The other has corruption but SFC can't fix and Dism can't find source files. My thinking is if I can use the 1st pc's WinSXS files to run DISM, maybe I can get the 2nd one straightened out. Problem is, when I try to copy 1st pc's WinSXS to a usb drive, it won't complete. Is there a way to do this? Also, am I on the right track overall? Appreciate any insight and help. Thanks

:)

JohnBurns, Aug 17, 2015
  2. BulldogXX Win User

moving files to new computer

1- Borrow or purchase an empty USB flash drive with enough capacity to hold the files you wish to transfer.

2- Insert the USB drive to a USB port on the old computer.

3- Copy the files you wish to transfer to the USB drive.

4- Now move the USB drive to a USB port on the new computer.

5- Copy or move the files from the USB drive to the new computer.

BulldogXX, Aug 17, 2015
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    How SFC Works

Where Windows update changes a system file, its backup copy in** C:\Windows\WinSxS is also changed.

Where SFC "repairs" a system file, it copies in the backup from** C:\Windows\WinSxS.

This process is only referred to obliquely in SFC documentation [perhaps the clearest reference is in

Using System File Checker (SFC) To Fix Issues - Ask the Core Team - Site Home - TechNet Blogs
    ].

You can see for yourself by looking in C:\Windows\WinSxS\Manifests where you will see that its
    manifests are updated regularly.

[** Not all files are actually "in" C:\Windows\WinSxS. Many are just referenced there but are held elsewhere. C:\Windows\WinSxS contains a mixture of files, conventional shortcuts & an unusual type of shortcut that appears to be a file in its own right
    but is actually a hard-wired shortcut to a file stored elsewhere. This strange mixture is also why C:\Windows\WinSxS appears to be huge but is not - any attempt to measure its size includes the file size of all the files referenced there.
    ]

Tryx3, Aug 17, 2015
  4. G G
    G G Win User

If you have the two computers on the same WLAN or wired network, try sharing the C:\Windows\WINSXS folder on the "good" PC with "READ" for "Everyone" with a Share name of "WINSXS-Good", then open an Administrative Command Prompt on the "bad" computer and map a drive, let's use the letter "R" for "Repair" to the "good" computer, e.g.:

net use R: L: \\<goodcomputername>\WINSXS-Good <-- Obviously you need to replace <goodcomputername> with the appropriate one for the "good" computer.

Then on the "bad" computer use:

DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth /source:R:

When that has finished, if all has gone though successfully, then run, (on the same computer):

SFC /SCANNOW

...and let that complete.

Hope that helps.

Don't forget to go back to the "Good" Computer and stop sharing the folder/remove "Everyone" READ at a minimum.

Cheers,

G.

5. JohnBurns Win User
    Thanks - I really appreciate your reply. I finally got this sorted out in another forum. However if it ever happens again, I am putting this in a file, to refer to, in the future. Knowing me, I'm sure it will happen again sometime. Thanks.

JohnBurns, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Copy WinSXS file to usb drive - Similar Threads - Copy WinSXS file

2. Winsxs temp files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Winsxs temp files: Hi so i saw winsxs tep files take 700mb i went in inflight folder and there was temp files name for example 79djsjej3fjdjdj and more i delte them i restared pc i did update to and checked everything and did nt discover any probelm so is it safe to so thag again when it will...
  3. Winsxs temp files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Winsxs temp files: Hi so i saw winsxs tep files take 700mb i went in inflight folder and there was temp files name for example 79djsjej3fjdjdj and more i delte them i restared pc i did update to and checked everything and did nt discover any probelm so is it safe to so thag again when it will...
  4. Winsxs temp files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. winsxs manifest files

winsxs manifest files: Hi so i recently accedentially deleted a manifest file for adobe flash so will this effect my computer? will it make it slower? or will it not effect it at all? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/winsxs-manifest-files/d93cc175-6698-4aa6-95ce-ba6d7543ed57
  6. Can't copy files to USB drive because of encryption on unencrypted usb drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't copy files to USB drive because of encryption on unencrypted usb drive: Hi @ all,i set up a new device with a barely configured intune tenant.Now i wanted to copy some files from this client to an usb drive but win10 always tells me it's encrypted while it is not.This prevents me from copying files.Win10 version is 20h2.Someone already heard of...
  7. Copying music/photo files to a USB drive as a backup

Copying music/photo files to a USB drive as a backup: Hi. I am trying to back my music library from my PC Win 10 and some times I am successful but other times I can copy the same files on to a bare USB drive and they only copy 50% or 60% then it freezes and tells me that there is a problem. I started with 485 songs but I have...
  8. Can't copy files to network usb drive

Can't copy files to network usb drive: I can't copy files to network usb drive. I can copy from the network drive to the computer. Plus I can't make a new folder in windows 10 too on the network drive. It is almost like the drive is in like ready only state in windows 10. I have no problems with windows 7. I can...
  9. Unable to copy all files to USB flash drive

Unable to copy all files to USB flash drive: Hi, I purchased two 128GB usb flash drive to backup several files. But when the size or number of files exceed a limit - which is not big and it is less than 2000 number of files - it gives an error. Then when I open the drive, all other already-copied files are also...
  10. 2TB USB Drive appears to copy files but does not

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    2TB USB Drive appears to copy files but does not: I have a 2TB USB drive ... I can copy files but at some point it appears that files are copied but only the folder exists once I remove the drive from the computer and go to read it later. I had this same issue with 512G micro SD cards although those gave a generic Windows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. copy winsxs from one pc to another