Windows 10: Copying files from external drive to internal Hyper-V VM much faster.

Discus and support Copying files from external drive to internal Hyper-V VM much faster. in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I always found it very slow copying files as a network share from Host to PC e.g. at 10 MB/s. Today, I had to copy a file, and it blitzed along at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by cereberus, Sep 30, 2017.

1. cereberus Win User

Copying files from external drive to internal Hyper-V VM much faster.

I always found it very slow copying files as a network share from Host to PC e.g. at 10 MB/s.

Today, I had to copy a file, and it blitzed along at 80 MB/S which is not far off my hard drive maximum speed.

This is using 16299 Fast/Slow Ring build.

As an aside, I sometimes used to just mount the vhd in Host to copy large files (still do for the uup folder).

:)

cereberus, Sep 30, 2017
  2. WesE Win User

Windows 10 VHD Native Boot Installation--Officially Supported?

I have done two major upgrades to my VHD boot system now. I get the failed to upgrade message so I do the upgrade in Hyper-V on another system I have. To do it Hyper-V I had to replicate my entire system so that my virtual is dual boot as well. Once this
    is setup its just a case of copy the VHD, upgrade, copy it back.

Update (July 2017): I just had to build a new Hype-V VM for upgrading my Native Boot VHD (NBV) to W10 Creators Update. Here are the steps I used.

1. Copied my NBV to a USB attached external drive

2. On a spare machine built a Win10 VM, attached the NBV file to the second IDE controller on the VM, this became drive E:

3. In the VM made a copy of the boot "bcdedit /copy {current} /d "Native boot VHD"

4. Update the boot config copy from above so that device and osdevice point to E:\, good example in the bcdedit help of this.

5. Added detecthal to above boot cfg, bcdedit /set {guid} detecthal on

6. Reboot the VM, select the NBV, it boots to that, let it upgrade, copy the NBV file back to its original location.

Worked for me. Did it all on a USB3 attached external drive, slow but worked. My spare machine running Hyper-V had 4GB, gave 2GB to the VM.

-Wes

3. joerayner Win User
    Secure file share with between host and hyper-v guest

I have a windows 10 host running hyper-v. I want to share the files that are on the host securely with a hyper-v vm without having to copy the files, i.e. the file share is on the host not the guest.

Current method is to set up a file share on the host and disable authentication for ALL file shares, this is so that I do not need to store the host account
    credential on the VM which would be a risk. I then set up a internal virtual switch in hyper-v and disable files sharing protocal on ALL other network interfaces on the host. I not sure this is secure but its defiantly not very elegant for such a seeming
    simple problem.

I can see it causeing problems in the future when we need another files share on the host for a differnet reason.

Is there a simpler, less invasive way to do this?

joerayner, Sep 30, 2017
Thema:

Copying files from external drive to internal Hyper-V VM much faster.

1. Copying files from external drive to internal Hyper-V VM much faster. - Similar Threads - Copying files external

2. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  3. Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V VM can't ping another Hyper-V VM: Hello all,I've been working on a lab network attempting to perform a test live migration. Here is my current setup:Host 1: STAN- VM COSTELLOHost 2: OLLIE Joined to the Domain- VM ABBOTT Current Domain Controller DNS ServerI have set static IP addresses for all of these...
  4. Cannot copy and paste into Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot copy and paste into Hyper-V VM: I cannot copy and paste anything into a Hyper-V Window 10 Pro VM. Not text. Not files.I have made sure that the Guest Services was checking in the VM settings and that Use enhanced session mode is check in Hyper-V Settings....
  5. Cannot copy and paste into Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot copy and paste into Hyper-V VM: I cannot copy and paste anything into a Hyper-V Window 10 Pro VM. Not text. Not files.I have made sure that the Guest Services was checking in the VM settings and that Use enhanced session mode is check in Hyper-V Settings....
  6. Cannot copy and paste into Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper-V VM: With the Hyper-V session running on my local machine. Am I allowed to create a VM using the DVD I used on the machine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-vm/2b8f2e09-28ab-4e98-bba3-f835ac67d542"
  8. Copy files from external HDD to internal HDD faster!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Copy files from external HDD to internal HDD faster!: Hello, Dear Sir / Madam, I have an external HDD of 465 GB and I have 360 GB of space. Please tell me how I can quickly copy files to my internal HDD, how to download speed (move), or if you know any program for this or changes to Quick Move Registry. I mention that I tried...
  9. Suspend and Resume VM much slower on HYPER-V than vmware

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Suspend and Resume VM much slower on HYPER-V than vmware: Hi there particularly @Kari - you seem to be the resident expert on HYPER-V !!!! I have two reasonably identical VM's (Linux CENTOS 7 basically runnng SAMBA, PLEX media server, logitech media server and sharing some files). The shared files are on 2 logical RAID 0...
  10. Exporting VM with hyper-v

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Exporting VM with hyper-v: When you export a VM with Hyper-v, does the exported VM retain the same hardware identifier as the original? I know with VMware, when you open up a backed up VM, you select "I moved it" to retain hardware identifier, and "I copied it" if you want a new identifier. Is it...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hyper-v copying files to extenral drive