Windows 10: Copying files

Discus and support Copying files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I’m not sure what important fact you are desperately trying to point out to me. But point is OP would have to type them all in. Your method... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MIkew365, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Pyprohly Win User

Copying files

I’m not sure what important fact you are desperately trying to point out to me.

Your method relies on the current directory for the starting path. True, you didn’t have to type out this path but this approach does not support multiple starting directories. Aside from this method, the starting paths most typically will have to be typed or how will the interpreter know where to begin looking?

I see your batch method is cute and all but I would think that entering a single line of code to get the job done is quite a lot more quicker than opening up a terminal to have a command redirect it’s output, then manually opening output file, make edits to it, execute it as a script, etc.

If this process is faster for you, by all means, speed is relative.

Pyprohly, Apr 29, 2017
  2. cereberus Win User

No because you always start from the root. The /s parameter just lists every mp3 file in every subdirectory on that drive. The /b just removes header and footer. It handles multiple directories without ever having to type one in at all!

cereberus, Apr 29, 2017
  3. Pyprohly Win User
    I know how your method works. If the OP wants the source location to be at the root folder I encourage him to do just that by using my line.

Code: Get-ChildItem 'D:\' -Include '*.mp3' -Recurse | Copy-Item -Destination 'C:\destination'[/quote]
    What you describe as the handling “multiple directories” is the recusing behaviour and this is a given need or it won’t be a valid solution to the problem. My command line recurses, does it not? And technically “cd \” counts as typing a path.

Pyprohly, Apr 29, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Copying files

cereberus, Apr 29, 2017
  5. MIkew365 Win User
    thanks for the many responses to my original post. My flash drive is recognised by Windows 10 with appropriate icon in system tray but not seen in a command window therefore can't try a batch file. I open the command prompt as administrator and type E: and enter. It says "The system cannot find the file specified" Windows sees it but dos doesn't. Any help would be appreciated.

MIkew365, Apr 30, 2017
  6. Barman58 Win User
    As this relates to music file, do you use a music manager? If so check if it has any functions to do what you want.
    If not the music manager I use would do what you need without a problem do a search for MediaMonkey I use the Gold Version but the free version should allow you to list all the music files on the USB and you can then select all files right click and select "copy to" and navigate to your required location and all files will be copied for you.

It's late here now but will see what I can put together in step by step with screen shots in the morning here.

mediamonky handles my 30000+ track collection so should be OK for however many files you need to move now and in the future, plus a lot more

Barman58, Apr 30, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    By 'icon in the system tray' do you mean the eject icon? On its own, that doesn't confirm that Windows has loaded the correct drivers for it. Try uninstalling it in Device Manager then reinsert the flash drive.

If a flash drive can be seen in File Explorer, it can be seen in a cmd.exe prompt (not Dos, that was for Win95/98). Can you see it in File Manager? If not, how does it appear in Disk Management? Does it have a drive letter assigned?

8. MIkew365 Win User

Copying files

Thanks everyone for your help. As I still can't see the memory stick (E drive) in the command window (and it is seen in File Explorer) I decided to try Barman58's suggestion and downloaded MediaMonkey. Worked exactly as said and I now have all 1300 mp3's on another stick and all in the one folder. Thanks again to all.

MIkew365, Apr 30, 2017
  9. Barman58 Win User
    Glad it worked *Biggrin

Barman58, Apr 30, 2017
  10. sml156 Win User
    Not sure why you guys are hell bent on using third party software, For such a simple problem.

I guess nobody here has ever heard about the KISS method.

Open file explorer
    Go to your USB drive
    In the search bar type .mp3
    when the results appear press Ctrl + A then Ctrl + C
    locate the folder where you want the mp3 and press Ctrl + V

sml156, May 1, 2017
  11. MIkew365 Win User
    Thanks sml156, you're right of course, keep it complicated has always been my default, rarely seeing the bleedin obvious. Still trying to change.

MIkew365, May 1, 2017
  12. thomaseg1 Win User
    Why not something simple. In file explorer highlight the flash drive type *.mp3 into the search bar wait til it scans all your folders then pick and choose what you want and drag them to your new folder on your fixed disk.

thomaseg1, May 1, 2017
  13. Pyprohly Win User

Copying files

Well I guess we all missed it too. May indicate how reliable most of us perceive the Explorer search to be.

I have a folder “C:\Users\\Desktop\x\q”. If I navigate to “x” and search “f”, folder “q” gets listed. There’s not even an “f” in the path. It’s just “f” that does this. Go figure.

Sml156 just said this one post ago, although you mention “*.mp3” instead of searching “.mp3” which is more correct because the former excludes folders (for some reason).

It should say “The system cannot find the drive specified.”?

Pyprohly, May 1, 2017
  14. sml156 Win User
    Not sure why that happens to you, both examples work exactly the same for me in file explorer.

I don't bother with the star * anymore I'm getting lazy in my old age and can't be bothered pressing two more key's.

sml156, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Copying files

1. Copying files - Similar Threads - Copying files

2. I put my recovery flashdrive in and followed the instructions.Windows begins copying files...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I put my recovery flashdrive in and followed the instructions.Windows begins copying files...: I tried to enter recovery settings and it says my repair needs repair. I didn't know that I was supposed to wipe my computer clean before attempting a fresh install. Now my computer is all messed up and I can't get a fresh install....
  3. I put my recovery flashdrive in and followed the instructions.Windows begins copying files...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I put my recovery flashdrive in and followed the instructions.Windows begins copying files...: I tried to enter recovery settings and it says my repair needs repair. I didn't know that I was supposed to wipe my computer clean before attempting a fresh install. Now my computer is all messed up and I can't get a fresh install....
  4. I put my recovery flashdrive in and followed the instructions.Windows begins copying files...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Why does Windows Update restart my machine while it's copying files ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does Windows Update restart my machine while it's copying files ?: Hi,i had a large copy job running, copying data from my local disc to a server via SMB. Over night "MoUsoCoreWorker.exe", which i believe is part of Windows Update, restarted the machine, aborting my copy job, and leaving me with a bunch of missing or unfinished files on the...
  6. Why does Windows Update restart my machine while it's copying files ?

Why does Windows Update restart my machine while it's copying files ?: Hi,i had a large copy job running, copying data from my local disc to a server via SMB. Over night "MoUsoCoreWorker.exe", which i believe is part of Windows Update, restarted the machine, aborting my copy job, and leaving me with a bunch of missing or unfinished files on the...
  7. Can I copy paste all files from my previous install to my new one

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I copy paste all files from my previous install to my new one: Recently I found myself regreting that I did reset my windows 11 since I had lots of usefull software on it and I configured it to the last detail. I have an older ssd that has the backup windows install I was copying my old ssd partitions to the new one. But there is a...
  8. Can I copy paste all files from my previous install to my new one

Can I copy paste all files from my previous install to my new one: Recently I found myself regreting that I did reset my windows 11 since I had lots of usefull software on it and I configured it to the last detail. I have an older ssd that has the backup windows install I was copying my old ssd partitions to the new one. But there is a...
  9. Some file do not sync in OneDrive. when I try to access or copy them I get the following...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some file do not sync in OneDrive. when I try to access or copy them I get the following...: Some file do not sync in OneDrive. when I try to access or copy them I get the following Error Massge: "Error 0x80070780: The File cannot be accessed by the system" Any ideas how to solve it?...
  10. Some file do not sync in OneDrive. when I try to access or copy them I get the following...

Some file do not sync in OneDrive. when I try to access or copy them I get the following...: Some file do not sync in OneDrive. when I try to access or copy them I get the following Error Massge: "Error 0x80070780: The File cannot be accessed by the system" Any ideas how to solve it?...