Windows 10: Copying folder from W7 to W10 appears unreadable and using 0 bytes

Discus and support Copying folder from W7 to W10 appears unreadable and using 0 bytes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello people I have searched on the internet and in the forum, but i did not find the exact situation. This is what i do: I have a laptop with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by walpap, Jul 18, 2017.

1. walpap Win User

Copying folder from W7 to W10 appears unreadable and using 0 bytes

Hello people
    I have searched on the internet and in the forum, but i did not find the exact situation.

This is what i do:

I have a laptop with corrupted installation. So i decide to backup data and reinstall windows.
    I take out the hard drive, and backup/copy all the data (20gb) to a different PC with Windows 7 64bits NTFS file system.

Then, i reconnect the HD to the laptop and install Windows 10 64bits Anniversary Edition (build 10586).

After Windows 10 boots ok, I disconnect again the HD, and connect it again to the Windows 7 PC.
    Then I copy all the backup from the PC with Win7, to the HD with Win10. And finally plug the HD again to the laptop.

After I turn on the laptop, the backup folder containing 20gb of data is unreadable by Windows 10. It says the file system is damaged, and its properties say it´s occupying 0 bytes. There is no way i could read that folder again, and going to "My computer" shows there is 20gb less free to use.

Also, trying to delete that folder is impossible, Windows won´t let me.

This is the second time it happened this, with another laptop, and the same situation. Copying files from Win7 to Win10, make those files disappear. The only way i can solve this issue is transferring the files by the network.

I think it has something to do with the file system, but i don't know how to solve it.

Does anybody have a clue? Thanks.

:)

walpap, Jul 18, 2017

2. Windows 7 to 10 upgrade: TrueCrypt 7.1a

I have just upgraded from W7 -> W10. Wish I'd read this first. My Truecrypt volumes are now inaccessible. I'm hoping they are unreadable by W10 rather than wrecked. Fortunately I also had Bitlocker encrypted backups, but I still have to copy huge folders
    over to the new setup, which is very tedious.

profmathew, Jul 18, 2017
  3. Missing Microsoft games after upgrading to Windows 10

I had my older pc change to Windows 10 and my new PC stayed with windows 7, So now I copied the whole w7 games directory onto a memory stick and then copied into a blank games folder on w10. All the games disappeared on the stick & the W10 games dir. But
    when I returned the stick to the new w7 pc they were playable again!

I tried to change features of the W10 games folder to try copying again but games dir did not appear in the "features listing".

It looks like Windows do not like my grandchildren playing games on my PC!

The older grandchildren can type and use mouse and keyboard better than their peers. The younger ones can use my older pc as I will NOT change to windows 10.

Windows store does NOT give us the same as w7? I refuse to play in a cloud - whatever that is.

AlanYourell, Jul 18, 2017
  4. roy111 Win User

It happened to me several times, sometimes files just vanish ...

roy111, Jul 18, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Is the data still readable by your Win 7 PC? If so transfer it via a USB disk or your network.
    Was what you originally copied to your Win 7 PC accessible at that time?

Backups are better done to an external disk, for example.

You may run into problems connecting a bootable Windows disk to another Windows PC.

If you have problems deleting it, you can
    - boot your PC from a boot disk such as Kyhi's (top of the Software and Apps section)
    - boot to a command prompt and delete it then (i.e. Windows is not running)
    - use a utility such as Emco Moveonboot (free)

dalchina, Jul 18, 2017
  6. Rocky Win User
    I agree. Files are so easy to move via a USB stick, and 20 gb fits very nicely on one little USB stick. Here in the USA Walmart has 32 bg sticks for about $7.00, so it is not even expensive to do. This is back to school season so you can get a SanDisk 32 gb USB stick real cheap.

Rocky, Jul 18, 2017
  7. walpap Win User
    Thank you for your answer guys.

I forgot to mention that i have also an external HD (NTFS), and if i backup the files there, and then want to put them back to the original location, the same is happening.

Also when i try recreate the same process with smaller size folders, they copy well, but the problem appears when trying to copy 20gb.

It is very strange.

I would like to understand why that happens. Because one day I would need to backup 200gb it would be a shame to buy multiple usb sticks. Or maybe I don´t have the money *Smile.

Thanks again!

walpap, Jul 18, 2017
  8. Rocky Win User

That is odd. I just copied a 2 terabyte file and it went well, no problems.

Rocky, Jul 19, 2017
  9. Looey Win User
    Is the data encrypted or compressed?

Looey, Jul 19, 2017
  10. walpap Win User
    Yes, it is odd.

Looey, not at all. It is just simple data (music, movies, docs, etc.). It only happens from Win7 to Win10.
    From W7 to W7 or W10 to W7 everything works normally.

walpap, Jul 19, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    Try doing a hash check on your larger file at source, on the USB disk and after copying it to check its integrity.

E.g. Hashmyfiles by Nirsofer (free).

dalchina, Jul 19, 2017
  12. walpap Win User
    @dalchina

That is not possible, because i can´t even open the folder once copied.

I will do some more tests and then i will let you know.

Thanks to everyone!

walpap, Jul 20, 2017
  13. spunk Win User

A corrupted installation means that the files on that drive are also corrupted. You may be able to read the files on the corrupted drive but moving them results in corrupted data. Try running Check Disk with the /R switch (ie) chkdsk /R from an Elevated Command Prompt on the corrupted drive first, before attempting to backup. This will check for bad sectors and try to move the data to a good sector near by. It will take a while.

spunk, Jul 20, 2017
  14. walpap Win User
    spunk

Thanks for replying but, corrupted installation in this case means "a windows with booting problems".

Personal files are perfect. In fact transferring them by network it´s the only way they could be opened and they open fine.

walpap, Jul 20, 2017
  15. dalchina New Member
    Try viewing your inaccessible folder when you boot from a boot disk (or command prompt outside Windows (i.e. without Windows running). This would verify that it's writing the folder that's the problem, rather than reading it.

E.g. boot to a command prompt - if familiar with that- e.g. using shift + left click Restart, or booting from a Win 10 install medium via Repair your computer, or use Kyhi's boot disk available from the top of the Software and Apps section (boots to its version of Win 10). The latter would also allow you to try the hash check I mentioned above- assuming you can actually open the folder and there's something there.

Conversely, you can try writing the folder to your disk when booted as above, then boot into Windows and see if you can read it.

dalchina, Jul 21, 2017
Thema:

1. Copying folder from W7 to W10 appears unreadable and using 0 bytes - Similar Threads - Copying folder W10

2. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 from W7: Cant seem to get W10 to install. it loads up perfectly fine, up until blue screen. then it just... stops. the pop up i get says ''Windows 10 installation has failed.'' ive tried everything the internet has to offer and nothing works. help me out here......
  3. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10 from W7: Cant seem to get W10 to install. it loads up perfectly fine, up until blue screen. then it just... stops. the pop up i get says ''Windows 10 installation has failed.'' ive tried everything the internet has to offer and nothing works. help me out here......
  4. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to remove "undeletable" 0-byte folders?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to remove "undeletable" 0-byte folders?: Hi,I was attempting to use robocopy to copy some files from "Documents" to my backup drive. However, it seems to have also copied a sort of non-functioning, 0-byte version of the "Pictures" and "Music" folder but not the actual folders; those are still functioning as normal...
  6. How to remove "undeletable" 0-byte folders?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove "undeletable" 0-byte folders?: Hi,I was attempting to use robocopy to copy some files from "Documents" to my backup drive. However, it seems to have also copied a sort of non-functioning, 0-byte version of the "Pictures" and "Music" folder but not the actual folders; those are still functioning as normal...
  7. Using W10 to restore from a W7 backup disk.

Using W10 to restore from a W7 backup disk.: I am not able to restore file from my W7 backup disk using W10 backup/restore. I have seen that Microsoft-staff claims that the old W7 backup is incuded in W10, but where? Is ther anyone who have a soloution?...
  8. Upgrading from W7 to W10

Upgrading from W7 to W10: I am currently running W7 on an SSD and want to upgrade to W10 on the same hardware. Is this possible? If so, anything special I need to do? I was unable to install the free upgrade when it was available because of the SSD. Thanks....
  9. IE11 on W7 fine -- on W10 Javascript void(0)

in Browsers and Email
    IE11 on W7 fine -- on W10 Javascript void(0): Hi there I have an application that needs IE11 and will open a window on a local intranet (Mine as it's a test installation) and prompts for a logon screen . Logon screen is on IE11 in both cases. Same userid etc etc. The three computers are on my Local Network so no...
  10. Return from W10 to W7

Return from W10 to W7: Is there anyway I can replace W10 with W7.This small notebook I purchased came with W8 installed and I then took the free upgrade to W10 but however hard I try W10 is not for me. 27444