Windows 10: Copying folders from C: to external hard drive or USB

Discus and support Copying folders from C: to external hard drive or USB in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm switching from an old desktop running XP to a new laptop running Windows 10. I've copied folders, including some programs, to an external hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BobbiGraham, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Copying folders from C: to external hard drive or USB

I'm switching from an old desktop running XP to a new laptop running Windows 10.
    I've copied folders, including some programs, to an external hard drive and/or a USB.

Windows Explorer in XP allowed me to just highlight files or folders I want to copy, then right click to copy them to HD or USB, and vice versa.

How do I accomplish this in Win10?

:)

BobbiGraham, Aug 26, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

How do I transfer my files from my old computer using Windows 10 to my new computer using Windows 10?

There are lots of ways to do this. This way is easy:

1- Obtain an external USB hard drive.

2- Attach the external USB hard drive to the old computer.

3- Copy your files from the old computer to the external USB hard drive.

Tip: You can copy the entire Pictures folder in one shot.

4- Unplug the USB external drive from the old computer and attach it to the new computer.

5- Copy your files from the external USB hard drive to the new computer.

Tip: In the new computer, store your files in the corresponding folders (Documents, Music, Pictures, etc.) in Windows.

BulldogXX, Aug 26, 2016
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    WINDOWS Easy File Transfer Windows 10

• Attach the USB cable from the Windows 8.1 computer to an external hard drive.
    • Copy files and folders from the Windows 8.1 computer to the external hard drive.
    • Attach the USB cable from the external hard drive to the Windows 10 computer.
    • Move files and folders to the Windows 10 computer.

BulldogXX, Aug 26, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Copying folders from C: to external hard drive or USB

Selection:
    1. left click first file, hold CTRL down, click all other files you want if they are not contiguous.

2. Also select a range- left click, drag the selection, release.

3. Also left click to select 1st file, move to end of desired list, SHIFT + left click.

Then you can, e.g. rt click and drag your selection to destination, release & select from the options e.g. move, copy...

Nothing special.. are you experiencing some particular difficulty?

dalchina, Aug 26, 2016
  5. I just did that, using a two-step operation, first copying selected files, then opening the external hard drive and clicking on Paste.

I thought I would be able to have both panels (C: and E*Smile open side by side, so I could just drag and drop. But when I open E:, C: closes!

BobbiGraham, Aug 26, 2016
  6. Berton Win User
    I usually have 2 or more instances of File Explorer open at the same time, right now just 2. To get more than 1 copy I right-click the File Explorer icon on the Taskbar then either click what would be a History or click File Explorer to just open another one. If not wanting to rearrange them I can right-click a blank area of the Taskbar and choose Cascade or Stacked side by side then the drag will work from a Folder on one drive/partition to another drive/partition, whatever is open.

Berton, Aug 26, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Or make sure you have the relevant folder visible in the navigation pane, and drag from the other pane to that.
    Or use a 3rd party dual pane file manager.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Copying folders from C: to external hard drive or USB

1. Copying folders from C: to external hard drive or USB - Similar Threads - Copying folders external

2. Unable to copy Files from external hard drive to c drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to copy Files from external hard drive to c drive.: Hello,Im in the process of trying to sell my desktop unit but I need to get the computer info a fit enough state for anyone to take it. The main drawback I have is that for some reason I am unable to copy files from my external hard drive to the c drive. For some files it...
  3. Unable to copy Files from external hard drive to c drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to copy Files from external hard drive to c drive.: Hello,Im in the process of trying to sell my desktop unit but I need to get the computer info a fit enough state for anyone to take it. The main drawback I have is that for some reason I am unable to copy files from my external hard drive to the c drive. For some files it...
  4. Unable to copy Files from external hard drive to c drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. copying from one external hard drive to another

copying from one external hard drive to another: I am trying to copy a large folder of photo files from one external hard drive to another in Windows 10. I used a drag and drop command and the resulting window showed progress as I could see the names of individual photo files showing briefly. After the copy process...
  6. Copying to External Hard Drive

Copying to External Hard Drive: I try to copy files to my external hard drives, the system goes through the procedure, but when I look where the files should be, only the folders are being copied. Why am I unable to copy to external drives and how can I do this?...
  7. copying large folders from hard disk to external usb drive

in Windows 10 Support
    copying large folders from hard disk to external usb drive: when i am copying 2 large folders both more than 2GB in size from hard disk to usb external drive should i copy both of them at same time or one at a time???????? thnx in advance 176705
  8. USB transfer speed from external hard drive to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    USB transfer speed from external hard drive to external hard drive: I'm having a hard time finding which USB ports on my laptop and its dock are v3 or v2 (or less possibly), but when I tried two different ports (I think one is v3), they both seemed to transfer at about 150KBps... which seems slow even for USB v2. I'm copying files from an...
  9. Cannot copy to an external USB hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot copy to an external USB hard drive: I can copy from, but not to ANY I have tried multiple external HDDs, ports and cables external drive. Whether I copy paste or drag drop, most times it will copy 1 or 2 files, then the copy stops, the drive disconnect chime occurs and explorer crashes. Most times I get...
  10. External Hard Drive copies

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive copies: When I attach an external hard drive it displays two copies (e.g. Drive (E:)) the content is the same but when moving folders or files i have sometimes put them in different copies. I would like just one drive but how do i get rid of the copy?...