Windows 10: Copying large files to external USB crashes PC

Discus and support Copying large files to external USB crashes PC in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I don't have the BSOD info yet, and from what I can tell it varies anyway. The first error I received was 0x8007045d but after a clean install of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by waitandhope123, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Copying large files to external USB crashes PC

I don't have the BSOD info yet, and from what I can tell it varies anyway. The first error I received was 0x8007045d but after a clean install of Windows 10 I instead got a BSOD talking about IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

When I get home I want to try testing this specific USB 3.0 port that is on the front case of the Thermaltake Core V1 that I own. I used the left port and I get this issue, the right one didn't seem to cause it. However to make it more confusing I tried a USB 3.0 Flash Drive on the left port and copied the same exact file to it fine. I am unsure how to proceed.

Can someone tell me what I can do to verify the USB 3.0 port is functioning properly? I ordered one of these online but until it arrives would like some ideas.

DROK® USB 3 0 Hub Protector Multi Tester DROK USB 3.0 Hub Protector Multi Tester, OLED Screen Pocket Digital Multimeter, DC Voltmeter Ammeter Capacitance Meter Thermometer Energy Time Battery Monitor, OTG Connector Output Auto Off:Amazon:Industrial & Scientific

Once I can actually get it to BSOD again I'll post that info.

Update: So here's what I did, it turns out the BSOD error means little. I booted into Safe mode and tried copying the same file which produced another BSOD. Always that generic one, IRQ blah blah. The logs don't show anything particular causing the error that I saw nor would they if it occurred in safe mode! I confirmed the USB Flash drive doesn't seem to have issues copying files in that port, I then switched the cable out from the hard drive with another and the BSOD stopped.

I would conclude the cable caused this problem but I tried it in the 3 other USB 3.0 ports and nothing occurred, yet switching it out fixed this issue it seems (for now). I just copied 2gb files over and over with nothing happening. I cannot explain it.

I conclude 1. Motherboard header is fine 2. Ports appear ok 3. Cable was bad someway? Unsure of how.

If it occurs again I'll need to chalk it up to the port itself and try modding this case to include new ones.

:)

waitandhope123, Jun 29, 2016
  2. Tryx3 Win User

Device manager, command promp (Admin), etc wont respond. Cant login as admin...How do I fix this?

An external drive. Each image is very large [almost as large as the space that is used up on drive C:\]. I have a vague memory that it actually has to be an external drive rather than a USB stick even if it is big enough. External drives are much, much
    cheaper than large USB sticks anyway.

I use a 500GB external drive. It also has my file backups, copies of all installation files, ...

Denis

Tryx3, Jun 29, 2016
  3. JimWynne Win User
    Transfering Files, etc. From Windows 7 PC to Windows 10 PC

Copy the files to an external device such as flash drive or USB hard drive, then copy them from there to the Windows 10 PC.

JimWynne, Jun 29, 2016
Thema:

Copying large files to external USB crashes PC

1. Copying large files to external USB crashes PC - Similar Threads - Copying large files

2. Copying large amount of files/folders between external drives fails. Corrupted file system...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copying large amount of files/folders between external drives fails. Corrupted file system...: Windows 11 homeSource drive health report indicated something might be going upRobocopy Folders/Files from source drive to target drive failed. filename linkage errors.Reformatted target drive NTFS deep formatUsed Windows explorer to manually move small batches of...
  3. PC wont copy files to external HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PC wont copy files to external HDD: Hello,I'm trying to copy a file that is 380GB to an External drive that has 1.63TB of free space. When I attempt to copy this file over by either dragging/dropping or copy/pasting it says "There is not enough space on Local disk" and shows me the space available on my local...
  4. PC wont copy files to external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC wont copy files to external HDD: Hello,I'm trying to copy a file that is 380GB to an External drive that has 1.63TB of free space. When I attempt to copy this file over by either dragging/dropping or copy/pasting it says "There is not enough space on Local disk" and shows me the space available on my local...
  5. PC wont copy files to external HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. File corruption when copying large files

File corruption when copying large files: Hello,I'm experiencing a problem with Windows 10 where I get corrupt backup files if I copy and paste them from one connected external hard drive to another, and the transfer rate is too fast. These files are very large, tending to range in size from 20 GB to 100 GB. Whenever...
  7. copying large folders from hard disk to external usb drive

in Windows 10 Support
    copying large folders from hard disk to external usb drive: when i am copying 2 large folders both more than 2GB in size from hard disk to usb external drive should i copy both of them at same time or one at a time???????? thnx in advance 176705
  8. copying file from pc to usb

copying file from pc to usb: when trying to copy files from my pc to a usb drive I keep getting error 0x80004005. everything seems to be updated properly https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copying-file-from-pc-to-usb/c7cf6956-94ea-4c44-b888-b47aea2deb6d"
  9. Copying large MP4 files

Copying large MP4 files: I have a flash drive created by a company that transfers old 8mm movies and old VHS tapes to digital format. The files are formatted in MP4 and the total volume the 30 separate files on this drive is approximately 105Gb. Most of the files are less than 4Gb but some are...
  10. can't copy large files across external usb 3.0 hub

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    can't copy large files across external usb 3.0 hub: I've had this problem for several years and have never found a solution so hope this is my lucky day. Here goes: I would like to be able to copy multiple large files, say more than several gigabytes, between two usb external drives using an external usb 3.0 hub on a Win 10...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 usb crashes copying large files