Windows 10: Corrupted Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3

Discus and support Corrupted Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10. It is running insider previews and this one is from July (so not the recent one that caused all the ruckus).... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ashwindec11, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Corrupted Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3

I have a Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10. It is running insider previews and this one is from July (so not the recent one that caused all the ruckus). Yesterday the computer randomly turned off and on restart I noticed that the CPU went to 100%, chrome wouldn't open (and later neither did IE), the start menu wouldn't auto clear after I clicked an option, and things like explorer, settings, even alt tab was not working. I've tried multiple repair tries that have done nothing, I cannot open the Settings Window at all, using a roundabout way I can open control panel or file explorer, through control panel can get to troubleshooting windows update but it hangs at "applying pending update." I've even tried SFC which returned nothing and dism which also hung at a certain percentage during the repair. I've created a windows 10 boot usb drive but I can't even open this as first it would hang at the desktop dimming UAC screen, after I went into safe mode and disabled UAC and then tried the setup file it said that it couldn't open and to try again after reboot.

I can't even get to the screen/option where it asks for a refresh/reset as that is under windows update which won't open. Is there any other way I can refresh or upgrade the current installation or fix whatever the root problem is? I feel like it's some core process which is wonky but I cannot open ANYTHING other than CMD, powershell, some control panel options. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

:)

ashwindec11, Sep 20, 2017

2. Reset of Surface Pro with Windows 10 ends abnormally

Could you try download the recovery image then use that?

Surface Pro 3 official Windows 10 recovery image ready for download ...

https://pureinfotech.com/surface-pro-3-windows-...

Andre Da Costa, Sep 20, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Registration after installing Image...

Hi - thanks for your reply but that doesn't help much. The problem I have is that I need to activate Windows 10 on a new Surface Pro 3 after installing an image from my old Surface Pro 3. The box for the new Surface Pro 3 did not come with a product
    key and I now have no way of activating Windows 10 on my new Surface Pro 3.

Kiwi - Pete J, Sep 20, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Corrupted Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3

Brink, Sep 20, 2017
  5. I did try that but my computer DOES boot just it's very messed up. All that fix does is get you to the login screen; doesn't do anything else. I can't access the Internet to add that other file from the computer.

Also my build is a bit older: 16237.
    Is there a way to manually reinstall/replace core Windows files?

6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Sep 20, 2017
  7. I can boot from USB but it says I can only do a clean install; to upgrade I have to do it after already logging in.

8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Sep 21, 2017
  9. I think I got it working, mostly with a lot of luck. Somehow after a few sfc and dism attempts I was able to run the USB from the corrupted windows; however I couldn't run the stable windows 10 as I was running an insider preview, so I had to get the latest preview ISO and then put that on a usb and try to install that. Only thing was it would hang on the "your computer will restart in a few minutes." After a few attempts and letting it sit for over an hour I forced a hard shutdown and on reboot it started updating! So weird that nothing was working except ctrl shift escape and file explorer. Oh well I'll see if this solution lasts, but thanks for the help!

ashwindec11, Sep 21, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Great news. I hope it will remain stable for you now. *Party

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Corrupted Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3 - Similar Threads - Corrupted Surface Pro

2. Surface pro 3

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface pro 3: Hellomy surface pro 3 SSD drive has stopped working completely cannot reset it or even get to the point of reformatting it i have resetting it using the recovery media from Microsoft even the manual ISO file tried reformatting the drive using different apps and i just want...
  3. Surface pro 3

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface pro 3: Hellomy surface pro 3 SSD drive has stopped working completely cannot reset it or even get to the point of reformatting it i have resetting it using the recovery media from Microsoft even the manual ISO file tried reformatting the drive using different apps and i just want...
  4. Surface Pro 3 windows 8.1

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface Pro 3 windows 8.1: Hi Have just received the notification saying that windows 8.1 will no longer be supported by microsoft in 2023. As I did not upgrade to windows 10 some years back has anyone successfully upgraded for free. Would this then solve the problem for a few years for me without me...
  5. Surface Pro 3

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface Pro 3: Hi The Surface Pro tablets are brilliant and I have most probably been responsible to recommending many of them to friends following buy a Surface Pro 3 when they were released. Since a firmware update in recent times I have no issues and since then my keyboard if left...
  6. Corrupt Windows 10 on Surface Pro 4

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Corrupt Windows 10 on Surface Pro 4: Hi- I have a Surface Pro 4 and I am having serious problems with logging into Windows 10 (1803): Login screen comes up. I enter my password and click the go button. I get a message "Windows is Preparing" and I get the spinning circle for about 3 to 4 minutes. Finally,...
  7. Surface Pro 3

in Windows 10 Customization
    Surface Pro 3: Is there a app to turn my Surface Pro into a phone? Moved from: Surface / Surface Pro 3 / Install, update, and repair https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/surface-pro-3/3595d5eb-eefd-4427-81a5-68fc539fdff9
  8. surface pro 3

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    surface pro 3: lost admin rights on pc and surface pro3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/surface-pro-3/1fa4e483-afcb-4eec-9f85-15b3b50f064f
  9. Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3: Just upgraded my Surface Pro 3 to Windows 10. Now I have no network connections. The wireless drivers and the docking station drivers are all there. I have tried uninstall and reinstall the drivers for both Marvell and Surface ethernet adapter and still nothing....
  10. Windows 10 and Surface Pro 3 issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 and Surface Pro 3 issues: Hi there Any SP3 users out there yet -- I read this on the W8 Forums about problems on the SP3 after installing W10 on it. Surface Pro 3 will not boot from USB Anybody daring enough to have tried build 9879 on an SP3 yet (not as a VM). Cheers jimbo 3153