Windows 10: Cortana and DCOM Error Event 10016

Discus and support Cortana and DCOM Error Event 10016 in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My PC was giving many DCOM error 10016 involving Cortana as follows: The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by GeoffryPimberly, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Cortana and DCOM Error Event 10016

My PC was giving many DCOM error 10016 involving Cortana as follows:

The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239} and APPID {316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97} to the user PC-PC\PC from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.6.1.52_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy.This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

I fixed this by giving Administrator permissions to the two registry keys mentioned above, by editing the registry as per these instructions:
    Windows 10 Event 10016 Fix: The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160} and APPID {9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276} to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.I a – Quarter Five – Thoughts and Solutions

The next step is to change the DCOM settings in DCOM Config. I had to change the DCOM settings by going to Component Services, then opening Computers, then right clicking on My Computer then selecting Properties. Then under Access Permissions click "Edit Limits" and adding Administrators to the group.

After a PC reboot the errors no longer come up.

My question is, is adding Administrators to the group under Access Permissions a good way to do it, or is there a better way? Have I inadvertantly done something bad that will upset something else (so far so good).

:)

GeoffryPimberly, Jan 3, 2017
  2. Ferdz Amp Win User

Kernel-Power (63) id:41 key words : (70368744177664),(2)

The Event ID 6008 is logged to the System event log when a shutdown operation is initiated automatically by a program. Meanwhile, the
    DCOM event ID 10016 is related to certain processes not having permissions to the DCOM components that are mentioned in the event logs.
    The specific communications that are blocked are determined to have no adverse functionality other than generating 10016 event logs. We highly recommend that you just ignore these errors because they don't adversely affect functionality. You may
    refer to this support article for more information:
    DCOM event ID 10016 is logged in Windows

We hope the information we provided helps.

Ferdz Amp, Jan 3, 2017
  3. Kapil Arya MVP, Jan 3, 2017
  4. chrisedug Win User

Cortana and DCOM Error Event 10016

chrisedug, Jan 13, 2017
  5. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

It complains about this user not having permission:

Assuming this is you and you are part of the Administrators group then yes, your way will work.
    Still, in dcomcnfg you should have added the user and not the Administrators.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Cortana and DCOM Error Event 10016

1. Cortana and DCOM Error Event 10016 - Similar Threads - Cortana DCOM Error

2. DCOM EVENT 10016 Crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DCOM EVENT 10016 Crash: Hi. I am desperate. My PC started crashing while I was gaming 5 min into a match and the only errors shown in Event Viewer are these I already deleted everything and it was fine for a couple of weeks but not anymore: The application-specific permission settings do not grant...
  3. DCOM EVENT 10016 Crash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DCOM EVENT 10016 Crash: Hi. I am desperate. My PC started crashing while I was gaming 5 min into a match and the only errors shown in Event Viewer are these I already deleted everything and it was fine for a couple of weeks but not anymore: The application-specific permission settings do not grant...
  4. DCOM EVENT 10016 Crash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. DCOM error 10016

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DCOM error 10016: The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54} and APPID {15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402} to the user DESKTOP-COHA3TC\justi SID...
  6. Dcom error 10016

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dcom error 10016: So I’m getting multiple dcom 10016 errors and I’ve taken the time to change all the permissions and all the steps to supposedly fix it but I’m still getting them come up. They are making my computer crash to where I have to restart manually. It’s rather frustrating so any...
  7. Dcom error 10016

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dcom error 10016: So I’m getting multiple dcom 10016 errors and I’ve taken the time to change all the permissions and all the steps to supposedly fix it but I’m still getting them come up. They are making my computer crash to where I have to restart manually. It’s rather frustrating so any...
  8. Dcom error 10016

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. Why Certain DCOM 10016 Events Don't Matter

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why Certain DCOM 10016 Events Don't Matter: Here at TenForums.com we get lots of questions about Event ID 10016, which shows up in Event Viewer on nearly all Windows 10 PCs (and in modern Server versions as well, as it turns out). People who post these questions may even be irritated or upset. Usually, they want to...
  10. DCOM error 10016

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    DCOM error 10016: I'm told this is a rather common error after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, but I have read many posts and suggested solutions, but I still get the error in the System Event Log when starting up. I suppose I could ignore it, as there does not appear to be any ill...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dcom could not start cortana