Windows 10: Cortana and Start Menu Stopped Working

Discus and support Cortana and Start Menu Stopped Working in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, I am struggle a lot with Windows 10 honestly. So all of a sudden, Cortana stopped functioning and start menu stopped working. I have tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by abasto, Oct 13, 2016.

1. abasto Win User

Cortana and Start Menu Stopped Working

Hello,

I am struggle a lot with Windows 10 honestly.
    So all of a sudden, Cortana stopped functioning and start menu stopped working.
    I have tried all steps and tweaks available out there to fix the issue beside changing the profile and backing up the entire user because I can't risk doing that and lose my files.
    So I tried restarting which Microsoft recommended including their start menu fix which resulted in nothing.
    Tried powershell command, no changes yet.
    Tried doing updates... NADA
    Tried creating a local administrator user and nothing yet.
    So I'm hoping there is someone who had similar issue and hopefully got that fixed.
    Please help me out from this mess.
    I honestly appreciate you for you're kind effor.
    Thanks

:)

abasto, Oct 13, 2016
  2. Labhoncho Win User

Windows 10 Start Menu Stopped Working and Cortana is Gone

Thank you all for your suggestions on how to solve this problem. I learned a lot while going through all the suggested processes. However, I was able to follow a suggestion by a person I know who is a very experienced computer technician and his suggestion
    worked. Everything is working just fine now. I restored my system by loading a full backup that I made a few days before the problems started. He suggested that my third-party antivirus software may have interfered with the critical upgrade that ran on
    April 12th. I uninstalled the antivirus software which then activated Windows Defender. The Windows 10 critical update that originally led to the problem, was waiting to update my machine again. This time the update ran smoothly and when it finished there
    was no recurrence of the problems I was having before. The start menu is working on all my user accounts, Cortana is working and so is the Edge browser. I hope my experience may help others who have experienced this same very frustrating problem.

Labhoncho, Oct 13, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Start Menu Stopped Working and Cortana is Gone

Hello,

Thank you for your reply, appreciate the time taken by you in keeping us updated on the status of the issue.

I suggest you to refer the below Microsoft article on "Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana" and see if this helps in resolving the issue.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Hope this helps. Please do let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Oct 13, 2016
Thema:

Cortana and Start Menu Stopped Working

1. Cortana and Start Menu Stopped Working - Similar Threads - Cortana Start Menu

2. Start menu and Cortana not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu and Cortana not working: Hi, I uninstalled a quality update of windows 11 because my computer has been freezing several times and after I uninstalled, my computer went well for only a few minutes before it freezed again. My cursor was the only thing that can move while my PC frozed. It showed me a...
  3. Start menu and Cortana not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu and Cortana not working: Hi, I uninstalled a quality update of windows 11 because my computer has been freezing several times and after I uninstalled, my computer went well for only a few minutes before it freezed again. My cursor was the only thing that can move while my PC frozed. It showed me a...
  4. Start Menu Sometimes Stops Working And Cortana Becomes Shorter

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Sometimes Stops Working And Cortana Becomes Shorter: Hey, everybody. Right now, sometimes, I would click on the start menu and it will not open. However, Cortana still works, but the window is shorter than usual. I have to restart Windows Explorer every time that happens, but it is only a temporary fix. Can you please help me...
  5. Start menu not working, Cortana not working.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start menu not working, Cortana not working.: I'm on Windows 10 and the following stopped working: Start menu Cortana Notifications on task bar Wifi connections list button on task bar Windows + I ( We couldn't connect to Microsoft family right now, so your family on this device might not be up to date) I...
  6. Start Menu and Cortana Not Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu and Cortana Not Working: So for the past couple of months I've been dealing with this issue. I managed to fix a couple of other issues with my computer, mainly wifi driver issues but I still can't open up my start menu or cortana. Another Issue I have are daily blue screens from driver failure fslx....
  7. start menu is not working and cortana

in Windows 10 Support
    start menu is not working and cortana: suddenly my start menu and cortana is not working please help fast 33252
  8. Sound, Start Menu and Cortana stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Sound, Start Menu and Cortana stopped working: Now, for some odd reason, on my computer, the sound, start menu and cortana stopped working and I can't even get past the sign in menu without it telling me to sign out so they can "fix" this problem which I've done 3 times now so I have no clue if I screwed up this computer...
  9. Cortana and Start Menu Not Working

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana and Start Menu Not Working: After the most recent Windows Update, the Start Menu and Cortana stopped working. You can't type in the search bar and can't click on anything in the Start Menu. This is Windows 10 on a Dell XPS that was originally Windows 7. I tried a bunch of things and when I did a sfc...
  10. Windows Start menu and Cortana/ Search stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Start menu and Cortana/ Search stopped working: Have the Anniversary edition. Suddenly the start menu and Cortana have stoped working. As has right click menus on the start bar? It was okay after the initial install?? Have tried several restarts but no change. Dan 60994