Windows 10: Cortana and Startup

Discus and support Cortana and Startup in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Lately , Cortana has been been MIA and I have seen nothing as to what is happening or how to fix it . Inexplicably today it has reappeared and all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Hipster, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Hipster Win User

Cortana and Startup

Lately , Cortana has been been MIA and I have seen nothing as to what is happening or how to fix it . Inexplicably today it has reappeared and all systems seem normal . Just the fact that Cortana is missing doesn't bother me but along with that it also means I can not access Control Center or apps . When shutting down , the only option is to CTRL - ALT - Delete to shut it down and this can take a few tries sometimes which is hugely frustrating , especially when you are in a hurry to leave and don't want to leave things running . Does anyone either , know why this ? Or has it happened to you in the past ? It seems very odd that it goes missing for over a week and then just magically reappears like nothing ever happened . Anyone ? *sarc

:)

Hipster, Jan 26, 2016
  2. DylanChu Win User

How do "I" re-add Cortana To My StartUp Programs

How do i re-add cortana to my startup programs, when i was disabling adobe cloud on my startup programs and then i thought cortana would help me get rid of my lag on MINECRAFT PVP BLOCK GAME

DylanChu, Jan 26, 2016
  3. Cortana not working properly.

Didn't help me.....mine was already set on Normal Startup. Cortana still not responding every time to "Hey Cortana"

ElizebethMunden, Jan 26, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Cortana and Startup

Hello, erratic problems can be much harder to track down, and ones with no error message or precise and consistent symptoms very difficult to research.

So there was a time in the past when all was well.
    Had you periodically used disk imaging, you could have restored an image from a date at which you didn't have the problem, so I'm assuming you haven't yet 'graduated' to using that invaluable tool, which allows you to restore your PC without technical help. (Hint *Wink)

So: some basic possibilities:
    - corruption (disk/files)
    - some change you've made which interferes with the OS
    - settings
    - sthg installed

So, I suggest you establish a base line:
    1. Run
    chkdsk C: /F
    from an admin command prompt (Windows key + X, Command prompt (admin) )
    (It's essential to know your disk is ok before undertaking repairs).

If that's ok
    - Try a clean boot.
    If the symptoms remain,
    - See what happens in Safe Mode

Please report what you find with those.

dalchina, Jan 26, 2016
  5. Hipster Win User
    Thanks for the reply Dalchina , very much appreciated . Some of what you have suggested I have never tried before , especially Disk imaging . Settings should be all default as I am certain I haven't changed anything . I will look into the other possibilities . As you may have guessed , I am fairly novice , but learning , when it comes to computers and how to keep them healthy ....any and all advice is definitely appreciated *Smile

Hipster, Jan 28, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, Here's how to do a clean boot (a normal diagnostic procedure built into Windows, but rather clumsily - especially in Win 10)
    How to perform a Clean boot in Windows 10 - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki

Disk imaging - rather than use windows tools, most people prefer 3rd party tools
    - the more technical Macrium Reflect
    - the easier to use Aomei Backupper

Some comment that Macrium is the most reliable in different hardware configurations and mix of disk formats.
    I use Aomei on an old laptop and have used several other programs previously.. on my new laptop I'll find out if the above comment is true.

Disk imaging has saved me a huge amount of time and difficulty, sometimes after the most innocuous change.

dalchina, Jan 28, 2016
  7. Hipster Win User
    Thank you Dalchina for that invaluable info .....I assume I would only do a clean boot if I am experiencing problems at startup and that link takes me right to the finish . One thing that puzzles me though ,you mention my best friend should be either a search engine or a disk imaging program . Isn't Google Chrome a search engine ? Sorry for being technologically stunted , I'm 62 and only started using a computer about 3 1/2 years ago . I do okay with it but there are some things that are beyond what I can take in I did do a chkdsk diagnostic and it found no problems . Thank you for the great response to my question , I am very appreciative of the wisdom . *Smile

Hipster, Jan 29, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Cortana and Startup

Hi, the idea of doing a clean boot is to start to eliminate possible conflicting programs. That is, get nearer to how Windows was when it was first installed - you said Cortana reappeared, which suggests there's not a hard fault (unless it's somehow been magically repaired).
    After you tried that you need to manually reverse those changes to boot normally.

Chkdsk checks there's no disk corruption, a basic start, so it's good that's fine.

Next to do is SFC /scannow which checks your system files.

Google Chrome is a browser, like Firefox, Edge, Internet Explorer, Safari and many others.
    Browsers use one of many search engines at a given time.
    Search engines include e.g. Bing, Yahoo, Google, DuckDuckGo (which is anonymous) and more.. you can choose which you use.

If - as is quite likely- none of the above solve the problem, there is one good repair technique new in Win 10 which should (provided it's not a program conflict- hence we try the clean boot).
    It's a question of logical progression from the easier and shorter onwards.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Cortana and Startup

1. Cortana and Startup - Similar Threads - Cortana Startup

2. How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do I fix/open my start menu/cortana/settings?: Since I updated my computer, my Windows key doesn't work and any application related to the start menu don't work either. I've already reset, restarted multiple times, tried wsreset and cmd commands, and checked for game mode, and tried the Fn commands. This happened the last...
  3. Can somebody tell me how to write a command file to run at startup to terminate Cortana?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can somebody tell me how to write a command file to run at startup to terminate Cortana?: I have a sense that this is possible. But i do not know the steps. I wanted to uninstall Cortana but that is grayed out and cannot be done. But i do see the "terminate process" button there. When i click it, i get the behavior that i want Cortana is getting in the way of...
  4. Can somebody tell me how to write a command file to run at startup to terminate Cortana?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can somebody tell me how to write a command file to run at startup to terminate Cortana?: I have a sense that this is possible. But i do not know the steps. I wanted to uninstall Cortana but that is grayed out and cannot be done. But i do see the "terminate process" button there. When i click it, i get the behavior that i want Cortana is getting in the way of...
  5. Removing Cortana From Startup

in Cortana
    Removing Cortana From Startup: How do I remove Cortana from the startup. I'm able to disable it bot not delete it. Is there a way to uninstall Cortana? I checked 2 Run keys in the Registry but it isn't listed in either. I thought there were 3 places in the registry that has the Run key. Can anyone...
  6. Windows Settings Crashes upon startup, Cortana/Search bar will not respond when clicking on...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Settings Crashes upon startup, Cortana/Search bar will not respond when clicking on...: Yesterday I noticed my computer would keep waking itself up from sleep mode without me touching it, I kept putting it back to sleep only for it to awaken again. So I shut off completely. Went to work and came back, turned on the PC and it said I had finished installing an...
  7. Cortana keeps showing up even though disabled in task manager startup

in Cortana
    Cortana keeps showing up even though disabled in task manager startup: How to uninstall Cortana Tom's Guide the above did not work as the "..more" did not have "Run at login" to disable I have several win10 dedicated systems that do not have microphones and there is no need for Cortana All of the fancy updates and features are never used...
  8. Cortana on startup

in Cortana
    Cortana on startup: Recently I have changed my local user account on my pc and noticed that cortana is turned off in windows startup by default. 1.Should I turn it on? 2.What's the advantages of turning it on and the disadvantages of doing the otherwise in startup? 3.Does turning off Cortana...
  9. UWP apps crashing on startup, including Photos and Cortana

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    UWP apps crashing on startup, including Photos and Cortana: Exactly as the title says, i cant find any working solutions, help would be appreciated! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/uwp-apps-crashing-on-startup-including-photos-and/40565e65-8cfc-4d10-83a8-b33fc64c680e
  10. 1709 Update ended with freeze on Cortana startup page

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    1709 Update ended with freeze on Cortana startup page: I ran the 1709 update and it ended by freezing on the Cortana startup page. I cannot get to normal startup. Thanks for the help. 102153