Windows 10: Cortana Broken After Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Discus and support Cortana Broken After Windows 10 Fall Creators Update in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I don't use Cortana that much, but prior to the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, it worked perfectly. But since applying the Windows 10 Fall Creators... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Stigg, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Stigg Win User

Cortana Broken After Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

I don't use Cortana that much, but prior to the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, it worked perfectly.
    But since applying the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, Cortana refuses to listen or talk/respond.

I have tested my microphone and audio, and it all still works.
    Has anyone else noticed this problem, or can you suggest a fix?

:)

Stigg, Oct 22, 2017
  2. mbulger Win User

ATI USB 600/750 TV Tuner Windows 10 is Compatible

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update has broken the tuner driver.

I have been using Arcsoft Total Media 3.5 to watch TV on my PC. After the Fall Creators Update, the tuner no longer works reliably. I can sometimes get it to work after multiple restarts.

mbulger, Oct 22, 2017
  3. Stephen_C Win User
    Cortana not finding local documents

Thanks, did all the things. Also did sfc and dism. Also checked locations under Indexing Options. Also rebuilt index.

It is still broken. Broke after updating to Fall Creators Update.

This is seriously afu.

How do I stop Cortana and revert to plain Windows Search?

Stephen_C, Oct 22, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User
  5. dalchina New Member
    Cortana Broken After Windows 10 Fall Creators Update [​IMG]

Hi, have you checked that setting?

Note that upgrading (and in-place upgrade repair) can reset some settings. I don't know what the default is for this.

dalchina, Oct 22, 2017
  6. Stigg Win User
    Yes, I checked that Cortana is on.
    Though, the interface looks different to that after the Fall Creators Update.

I also reinstalled and re-registered it and done a SFC.

I am starting to think that it is a bug as I have now found that all my computers have the same problem with Cortana since the Fall Creators Update.

Stigg, Oct 26, 2017
  7. Tony K Win User
    @Stigg

As you may know, Cortana settings are now in the Settings app. Did you train it how you speak?

Did you go through > WinKey/S > Notebook > About me > It has your name?

You may want to sign into your MS account online > Privacy tab/button > Scroll down to view and clear voice activity. You may want to clear voice activity and start over. Perhaps the voice files are corrupt? Not sure.

Tony K, Oct 26, 2017
  8. Stigg Win User

That's handy information that you provided. It didn't have my name, so I put it in and it asked me to test it by playing my name, but it wouldn't speak. As I said previously, it's deaf and dumb.

Stigg, Nov 2, 2017
  9. Stigg Win User
    I noticed when I just started training Cortana to my voice, that I have to keep clicking on the microphone in the bottom right corner before Cortana will listen. I don't think that was needed prior to the Fall Creators Update. Also, prior to the Fall Creators Update, Cortana already understood my voice. But I cleared the voice history as you said, and tried re-training it, without success.

Stigg, Nov 2, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Have you checked your actual microphone volume? Mine is really low even with 20dB boost using a simple headset.

Are you using a USB mike?

dalchina, Nov 2, 2017
  11. Tony K Win User
    Yes, mic setup and type is important. On a PC that's critical I've noticed. It was developed for the phone of which I never had a problem with it since release 3 or 4 years ago.

Hmm. So it's not responding either. Strange.

You shouldn't have to click on the mic. During that training session, when it understands the phrase you spoke, it moves on to the next and so on until all the phrases are understood. If it doesn't understand then it turns off after a few seconds. I eventually just kept saying the phrase until it did and then moved on.

You may be right here. It seemed Cortana worked better for me in CU than it did in FCU (via Windows Update). It missed the first word I said a lot until I cleaned installed the other day. You may want to try clean install on at least one of your PCs to see how that goes.

Tony K, Nov 2, 2017
  12. Stigg Win User
    Yes, I am using a USB mike, and it works fine for everything else, and worked well for Cortana prior to the Fall Creators Update.

Stigg, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cortana Broken After Windows 10 Fall Creators Update - Similar Threads - Cortana Broken Fall

2. Fall creators update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fall creators update.: How do i stop or block this virus you call the fall creators update, 3 times this year it's uploaded itself onto my computer and every time i've had to revert to the previous build. Each time it installs itself i loose 3-4 hours of work time because i can't use my computer,...
  3. windows creators fall update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows creators fall update: Hey.i was just wondering.how come I haven't got the new creators fall update???I went to download it manually but on the website there only is the creators original update 95658
  4. INetCookies after Fall Creators Update...

in Browsers and Email
    INetCookies after Fall Creators Update...: Sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I thought it was more browser than OS related. Anyway, after last week's v1709 update, CCleaner has been deleting a file it never used to. C:\Users\UserId\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCookies\deprecated.cookie It shows up...
  5. WINDOWS 10 Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    WINDOWS 10 Fall Creators Update: I just downloaded the above mentioned update and it looks like some fun things are here. I am interested in giving "Paint 3D" a shot although I am told it's designed for touch screen and I don't use one. Here's the problem---it has force fed me "OneDrive" which I am not a...
  6. Screen is Broken after the Windows Creators Fall update

in Windows 10 Support
    Screen is Broken after the Windows Creators Fall update: Don't know whats going on... I tried updating to the Fall update a few times... Only to get my screen to look like this... Every single time lol and not sure how to fix this... I had to go back to previous updates in order to fix this issue. [img] [img] 96528
  7. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: Has anyone installed it yet? If so did it break anything for you? Debating If I should update or not. 95662
  8. fall creator update

fall creator update: Is there a general chart which might give info on when i would get fcu. I went from 7 to 10 just a couple weeks before free 10 stopped. 97324
  9. Fall Creators Update

Fall Creators Update: I just bit the bullet and went to Microsoft site and tried to install it. It hung up stuck on 24% and stayed there for an hour so I pulled the plug and it has gone back to the previous version. Now what? 99881
  10. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: I work for a company that has about 200 desktop and laptop running Windows 10 (most are HP's)on our own domain and after the fall creators update, we have experienced Unauthenticated network messages as well as download issues in all browsers (Edge, IE 11, Chrome, Firefox)....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Cortana Broken windows mobile