Windows 10: Cortana disabled-still showing 38mb in Memory of Task Manager?

Discus and support Cortana disabled-still showing 38mb in Memory of Task Manager? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; The title really says it all. I only have 2Gb of memory on my pc stick & I just rec'c a warning about my memory being stretched, so I disabled Cortana,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by robinpe, Dec 1, 2017.

1. robinpe Win User

Cortana disabled-still showing 38mb in Memory of Task Manager?

The title really says it all. I only have 2Gb of memory on my pc stick & I just rec'c a warning about my memory being stretched, so I disabled Cortana, (which I don't use anyway), but in the Memory column of the Task Manager it's still showing that 38Mb is being used. Why? Appreciate any suggestion guys!! Thanks.

:)

robinpe, Dec 1, 2017
  2. HippieGuy Win User

N97 Memory Full

I was always getting the Memory Full message, and could not receive any messages. I went to file manager > Phone Memory > Details > Memory and found that Messages was occupying 38Mb of memory. I cleared all my messages in inbox, outbox, sent etc but message
    memory was still 38Mb. Any of you have an idea of why this is so? Hard resetting the device did not make any changes.

HippieGuy, Dec 1, 2017
  3. Phone Memory Update 7.1 N97

I saw this on the software update thing.. I read the information it says "This update reorganizes the C: Phone memory to optimize it for more user memory available for possible SW installations on this drive."

I was so happy when I read this information.. I was thinking I will have at least 70MB free space on the C: memory!

Before this update I had 38MB available on N97 after this I still have 38MB available..

Is this a joke or it just doesn't help MY N97?

ercanmetin, Dec 1, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

Cortana is two parts - the voice interface and the search interface. Disabling Cortana disables the voice part but not the search part. That is still called Cortana in Task manager.

If you are getting memory issues, it means your pagefile is not big enough. Set it on auto and problems should go away.

cereberus, Dec 1, 2017
  5. robinpe Win User
    Thanks for that Cereberus, I didn't realise that Cortana was in 2 parts. At the moment the former Cortana search box is now titled 'Search Windows'.
    Please explain what you mean by my 'Pagefile' not being big enough? And how do I set it on auto after your explanation of pagefile?

robinpe, Dec 3, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    Windows uses pagefiles if not enough ie it uses hard drive storage as virtual RAM. Go to control panel, settings, advanced settings to check psging.

cereberus, Dec 3, 2017
  7. robinpe Win User
    Ah, now I know what you're referring to Cereberus. I went to a 'Custom' setting & set the Min. to 3072Mb, (1024 x 2 x 1.5) & the Max. to 6144Mb, (1024 x 2 x 3). I'll see if that makes any difference. Thanks again for your help. I'll be getting a 4Gb version of this device delivered in a couple of weeks so I shouldn't be experiencing these problems.

robinpe, Dec 3, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

I recommend setting it to let pc manage it rather than setting a size really.

cereberus, Dec 3, 2017
  9. Badfinger Win User
    2 gigs of RAM is way too little in 2017 with any Windows after XP.

Another tip if you have to go the hard drive as RAM route, remove ALL of them first by setting to No page file on any drive, reboot, then defrag/optimize the hard drive you will use for the virtual memory, then select it with min and max size being the same so it's never resized.

Badfinger, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cortana disabled-still showing 38mb in Memory of Task Manager? - Similar Threads - Cortana disabled still

2. How not to show the disabled app in the task manager?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How not to show the disabled app in the task manager?: As the picture above, there are a lot of disabled process including windows apps and third party apps.For my case, I do not want the disabled process including windows apps from showing up in the task manager....
  3. How not to show the disabled app in the task manager?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How not to show the disabled app in the task manager?: As the picture above, there are a lot of disabled process including windows apps and third party apps.For my case, I do not want the disabled process including windows apps from showing up in the task manager....
  4. Task Manager Shows Unused Device Using Memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager Shows Unused Device Using Memory: I have a Microsoft Display Adapter connected to my Blu-ray player. When I open my Windows 10 task manager, it is shown as being an app in use even though I am not connected to it at the time. Nor is the Blu-ray player on, but it still shows memory being used by the adaptor. I...
  5. Task Manager Shows Unused Device Using Memory

Task Manager Shows Unused Device Using Memory: I have a Microsoft Display Adapter connected to my Blu-ray player. When I open my Windows 10 task manager, it is shown as being an app in use even though I am not connected to it at the time. Nor is the Blu-ray player on, but it still shows memory being used by the adaptor. I...
  6. Uninstalled a software but it is still showing in the task manager.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Uninstalled a software but it is still showing in the task manager.: Hello, I have uninstalled "Cyberlink Youcam" software but it is still showing in the task manager's startup tab. Although it has been disabled....
  7. Uninstalled a software but it is still showing in the task manager.

Uninstalled a software but it is still showing in the task manager.: Hello, I have uninstalled "Cyberlink Youcam" software but it is still showing in the task manager's startup tab. Although it has been disabled....
  8. Cortana keeps showing up even though disabled in task manager startup

in Cortana
    Cortana keeps showing up even though disabled in task manager startup: How to uninstall Cortana Tom's Guide the above did not work as the "..more" did not have "Run at login" to disable I have several win10 dedicated systems that do not have microphones and there is no need for Cortana All of the fancy updates and features are never used...
  9. Task manager showing suspended processes for cortana

Task manager showing suspended processes for cortana: I just did a fresh install and update to 1803 Task manager showing suspended processes for cortana And she’ll experience and background host for cortana What can cause this? 114460
  10. Task manager not showing complete memory usage?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Task manager not showing complete memory usage?: Hi, I have 4GB of DDR3 ram on my laptop. When I go into the task manager to check how much ram is being used, it says only 795MB and yet it also says that 94% is being used. This is always the case, of course with varying numbers. The memory usage shown does not...