Windows 10: Cortana freezes when typing in a search

Discus and support Cortana freezes when typing in a search in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm having a fun problem on my shiny new Win 10 machine. Cortana freezes when I start to type in the search box. Is there 1) a way to actually... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by DonaldS, Jan 22, 2018.

1. DonaldS Win User

Cortana freezes when typing in a search

I'm having a fun problem on my shiny new Win 10 machine. Cortana freezes when I start to type in the search box.

Is there

1) a way to actually fix this? I've looked all over web and I don't see anything definitive
    or
    2) is there a way to replace Cortana? I'm not thrilled with the share my world with Microsoft concept anyway.

Thanks!

Donald

:)

DonaldS, Jan 22, 2018
  2. Jose Est Win User

Cortana freezes when typing and when searching up.

Hi David,

We have exhausted all troubleshooting steps and the last step is to reset your PC.

Refer to this article to help you decide which recovery option is best
    for you.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Jose Est, Jan 22, 2018
  3. Cortana freezes when typing and when searching up.

Thank you for the quick answer, Jose , I have done everything that was on that page except reinstalling windows which is my last resort.

• All up-to-date on my computer
    • I have restarted my computer
    • Troubleshooter found no problem
    • I have tried to renew the administrator account like it said
    • And I used system restore and did the updates again and the problem persisted.
    I have also tried

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

In powershell.

The problem persists.

davidcostache, Jan 22, 2018
  4. hiphopper Win User

You can disable Cortana. Is the freeze related to network lag? She does require connection to Bing.

hiphopper, Jan 22, 2018
  5. Reinstalled Cortana using the following procedure:

1. Open an elevated PowerShell window, press Win + X keys to open PowerShell.

2. Execute following commands one at time.

Code: Get-Process SearchUI | Stop-Process –Force Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.Windows.Cortana | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}[/quote] 3. Restart your computer.

*Arrow Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10

FreeBooter, Jan 22, 2018
  6. DonaldS Win User
    DonaldS, Jan 23, 2018
  7. We are glad to hear your issue has been resolved, thank you for letting us know that all is now well!

FreeBooter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cortana freezes when typing in a search - Similar Threads - Cortana freezes typing

2. Can't type in windows search/cortana ONLY??

in Cortana
    Can't type in windows search/cortana ONLY??: Been dealing with this issue for a while and usually run "C:\Windows\system32\ctfmon.exe" and that normally fixes it. But it ALWAYS comes back whenever my PC restarts, or even just when I log out and back in. I can type in programs and even the file explorer search bar. But I...
  3. Cortana Search Bar Crashes when type a Letter

in Cortana
    Cortana Search Bar Crashes when type a Letter: You can solve this problem with the solution given below: 1. Press Win Key + R on the keyboard 2. When the dialog box appears, Type Services in it then Press Enter on the keyboard 3. When the Services dialog box appears. Scroll down and find the option for "Windows...
  4. typing in the cortana search bar among other search bars

in Cortana
    typing in the cortana search bar among other search bars: why cant i type in the cortana search bar among others, im not aware of any changes i have made? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/typing-in-the-cortana-search-bar-among-other/201dc3c2-ebe4-4271-8e8e-ccfbb42ad194"
  5. Cortana search not working when I type in request

in Cortana
    Cortana search not working when I type in request: The search bar Cortana is not opening when I type a question. I have to keep going to Google? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-search-not-working-when-i-type-in-request/f3d1550a-dd21-4c8d-b2c2-50a83c1c3dad"
  6. not able to type in Cortana search bar

in Cortana
    not able to type in Cortana search bar: I am unable to enter any text into the Cortana Search bar. When I see if its having a problem in the task manager it's not even appearing which makes me think its not loading on start. I am able to track down the windows search function and have tried to rest that but it is...
  7. TYPE here to search area with Cortana and Microphone is not responding

in Cortana
    TYPE here to search area with Cortana and Microphone is not responding: the white search bar area at the left bottom of the screen is no longer working when I type in a subject or website I want to use Edge to search for....
  8. "Type here to search" bar always crash (Cortana)

in Cortana
    "Type here to search" bar always crash (Cortana): OKay, so here the problem, when I click on the "Type here to search" bar in the bottom left it does the loading mouse for 1 or 2 seconds and it then closes suddenly. I know it is Cortana because when I click the button start and write anything in the Search Bar it shows me...
  9. How To Enable Typing Into Search Field (Cortana field?)

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Enable Typing Into Search Field (Cortana field?): I now find, to my great surprise, that I can't type in the Search field at bottom left. The cursor will go there but nothing will happen to it when I start typing. This is amazing. This computer. Endless problems. I have two computer each with win10 and each installed at...
  10. My search bar freezes when I type in it

in Windows 10 Support
    My search bar freezes when I type in it: Hi :) I navigate my computer by pressing the Windows key and then typing to search. Lately I've been experiencing issues, that it won't register that I'm typing, and/or it freezes when I type and I have to restart "Windows Explorer" Through the task manager. Additionally,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cortana freezes when i type

2. cortana search bar freezes

3. cortana lag when typing in search

4. cortane freezes when typing,
  5. cortana freezes on search