Windows 10: Cortana help

Discus and support Cortana help in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi all, Well today when I click on "Search Windows" on the taskbar it does nothing. If I right-click and select "Search" it does nothing. Yet Cortana... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Scramjet, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Scramjet Win User

Cortana help

Hi all,
    Well today when I click on "Search Windows" on the taskbar it does nothing. If I right-click and select "Search" it does nothing. Yet Cortana continues to run in Task Manager and runs at 30% cpu. I tried disabling Cortana and still have Search working with tutorial here and that don't help.
    Anyone know a work-around for this or a fix?

Windows 10 Pro

thanks

:)

Scramjet, Oct 19, 2015
  2. farby Win User

Cortana Help

Hi
    AllSheWrote

Just ask her 'Who am I ?'

..or, Say 'Thank you' after a search and see ..

May be she will speak your name more often with WP10

farby, Oct 19, 2015
  3. Cortana Help

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To turn Cortana off, go to Cortana > Notebook > Settings, and then turn the
    Cortana setting off. When you turn Cortana off on a device, she won’t give you suggestions, reminders, alerts, or ideas when you’re using that device.

Turning off Cortana clears the interests and information on your device, but won’t clear the information that’s saved on the Notebook or in the Bing.com dashboard.

Let us know if you have any further query on Windows, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Oct 19, 2015
  4. vlttnv Win User

Cortana help

Hello.
    This might be obvious, but have you tried killing the Cortana process? It will restart itself once you try and click on the search again.

vlttnv, Oct 19, 2015
  5. Scramjet Win User
    thank you for the reply
    yes I have done that several times and have restarted and logged out several times and it still don't work.
    The last update I got was for Flash Player (KB3105216) today. And on Oct.13th I got Cumulative update (KB3097617) , (KB3099406) , (KB890830)

Scramjet, Oct 19, 2015
  6. vlttnv Win User
    I've been browsing around the forums and it looks like a lot of people have the same issue. It might be a widespread bug. Similar thing happened to me on the preview version and I had to wait for a bugfix.

vlttnv, Oct 19, 2015
  7. Scramjet Win User
    I done a search and found that geolocation services was disabled and I could not enable so I followed the instructions and deleted a entry in the registry and rebooted. seems it still didn't work so I went into the services.msc and this time I was able to set it to manual. Now I am happy that it is working again!
    Greatly appreciate your replies.
    cheers

Scramjet, Oct 19, 2015
  8. Scramjet Win User

Cortana help

For those who encounter this bug below is the solution that helped me.
    "Geolocation After disabling the Geolocation Service by changing startup type to Disabled, attempts to re-enable it will fail with an error message. As the Geolocation Service can no longer be started, Geolocation will remain disabled on the device and prevent location based functionality from working. To work around this issue, manually delete the following regkey using regedit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lfsvc\TriggerInfo\3."

I edited the registry as described, and sure enough, the Geolocation service could then be started. I opened "Services.msc" and set it to "Manual" and then re-booted, and after a restart, my "Location" button was live, along with an all singing and dancing Cortana.

Hope this helps others
    Cheers

Scramjet, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Cortana help

1. Cortana help - Similar Threads - Cortana help

2. cortana is not available in my region my pc says. please help

in Cortana
    cortana is not available in my region my pc says. please help: please help my pc says cortana is not available in my region. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-is-not-available-in-my-region-my-pc-says/12b8e4a0-f8a3-4e6a-a6bc-67e77632a32f
  3. cortana is not available in my region my pc says. please help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cortana is not available in my region my pc says. please help: please help my pc says cortana is not available in my region. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-is-not-available-in-my-region-my-pc-says/12b8e4a0-f8a3-4e6a-a6bc-67e77632a32f
  4. cortana is not available in my region my pc says. please help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. i need help i cant open the windows menu or the Cortana search menu or the time sound or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i need help i cant open the windows menu or the Cortana search menu or the time sound or...: I try hitting the windows button or anything like that it does not work and this is really annoying because i have to open apps using windows + r to open files but its hard to find files sometime if someone has a fix that would be nice....
  6. i need help i cant open the windows menu or the Cortana search menu or the time sound or...

i need help i cant open the windows menu or the Cortana search menu or the time sound or...: I try hitting the windows button or anything like that it does not work and this is really annoying because i have to open apps using windows + r to open files but its hard to find files sometime if someone has a fix that would be nice....
  7. i need help i cant open the windows menu or the Cortana search menu or the time sound or...

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Cortana replies "Sorry, I can't help with that." to everything in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cortana replies "Sorry, I can't help with that." to everything in Windows 11: I setup Cortana recently on my new Windows 11, and it responds "Sorry, I can't help with that." to every task. Be it making a new list, accessing my calendar, or even turning up the volume. It will do simple tasks like tell me a joke, but that's pretty useless.I have done...
  9. Cortana replies "Sorry, I can't help with that." to everything in Windows 11

Cortana replies "Sorry, I can't help with that." to everything in Windows 11: I setup Cortana recently on my new Windows 11, and it responds "Sorry, I can't help with that." to every task. Be it making a new list, accessing my calendar, or even turning up the volume. It will do simple tasks like tell me a joke, but that's pretty useless.I have done...
  10. No voice activation setting for Cortana. Need help!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No voice activation setting for Cortana. Need help!: I’m trying to enable voice activation for Cortana but when I go into settings the option for Cortana isn’t there submitted by /u/DueOscar1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/uqxheu/no_voice_activation_setting_for_cortana_need_help/

Users found this page by searching for:

1. if you end cortanas process can you start it agian