Windows 10: Cortana in non-English contries gone? For good??

Discus and support Cortana in non-English contries gone? For good?? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Greetings. In my contry (Denmark) we has been told by Microsoft, that we will NOT be getting Cortana in Windows 10, not now and not when Windows 10 is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Burgurne, May 24, 2015.

1. Burgurne Win User

Cortana in non-English contries gone? For good??

Greetings. In my contry (Denmark) we has been told by Microsoft, that we will NOT be getting Cortana in Windows 10, not now and not when Windows 10 is launched! The reason is, MS says, that BING is in "Beta-mode" in our part of the world, and therefore we will not get Cortana in Danish nor in English. Read more here (it is in Danish, but google translate might help you) http://www.computerworld.dk/art/2339...foerste-omgang

That made me thinking, what about other parts of the world? Is it only here we need to miss Cortana? We still have to pay full price for windows 10, but it seems like we are not getting a full product *Confused.

Windows 10 Preview is not in my language either, so I have been using the English version, hoping that the translation will be better this time than when Windows 8 came out *Nerd.

:)

Burgurne, May 24, 2015

2. ** UPDATED** Bing Maps POI & search results serious issues!!

I think it's the same in most non-US contries: No local search, no PoI...

It's a real shame but Bing seems totally focused on the US and just forgets the rest of the World.

I think you can try to change your search language to English (US) in the settings (but it's maybe already the case in Canada?).

Arturo Bandini, May 24, 2015
  3. Cortana doesn't work in English, but works fine in French. (Canada) Is there a way to resolved this?

Cortana doesn't work in English. In French, I have no problem. But when I switch my Windows language to English, Cortana doesn't follow. It writes my English speech in a weird french phonetic text with some French letters non-existent in English.

Any solution would be appreciated.

SteveLalancette, May 24, 2015
  4. Cortana in non-English contries gone? For good??

fracking4oil, May 25, 2015
  5. Burgurne Win User
    As I read your link, it is about Windows 10 Phone, and I am writing about Windows 10 (Pro) OS for computers. So I still don't have an answer for _if_ we ever will get Cortana on our PC's, allthough we pay the full price for a Windows 10 licence. I know it is free for the first year, but after that, we must pay.

Burgurne, May 25, 2015
  6. I would also very much like to have Cortana on my desktop in Czech Republic - but you don't have to pay, you choose to pay and the license is not just for Cortana. And MS keeps telling you that Cortana may not be available in your region. Or mine. Still, I have more faith in Cortana comming to Czech republic before my retirement, more faith than in Siri...

Olivir2014, May 26, 2015
  7. Frankly you are probably better off without it. I suspect once the novelty wears off most people will uninstall it and it will become the "modern clippy". *chuckle

Indianatone, May 26, 2015
  8. Cliff S New Member

I could be one of them people...

I just don't have the patience for it to learn my voice. Windows has had the technology in windows quite a while now, with Speech Recognition. I've tried setting it up a few times before, but after a couple of hours, got frustrated and then bored, then said "Hell I don't need this!!! My fingers work just fine."

Cliff S, May 26, 2015
  9. davehc Win User
    For clarification, This is an edited English version of the statement. I have omitted a couple of words and phrases, but they are not relevant. Please note that the author is a magazine employee, and not working for Microsoft. Apart from the generalised MS comments that other languages are being developed, I have not read anything to the contrary from MS Denmark.

"Cortana is a digital assistant that you can both write and speak and who can perform tasks for you such as writing a message through a specific app, make a calendar appointment with an attached note.

But even if Denmark, which is the most Microsoft-penetrated country in the world in relation to population, it will not be immediately available.
    It will be available, at present, only to a limited number of markets, mostly English-speaking.
    Lack of fully developed Danish Bing is the problem, Cortana's search capabilities based on Microsoft's own search engine.

Bing is still in a beta version in Denmark. In countries like England, Germany and the United States Bing is much better, which is probably also the reason that Bing has a market share of 20 percent in their home country, says Martin Thorning Hansen, division manager for Windows in Denmark for Computerworld.
    He further explains that there is still no information on when a possible Danish version of Cortana could take place. If you really want to talk to your computer - or your Windows Phone, you can do this in the settings. Change your region to the United States instead of Denmark. This will also means that your results will come
    from the US Bing and App-store, and similar, which can spoil the Danish apps such as online banking and so on"

davehc, May 26, 2015
  10. Cliff S New Member
    That's probably also, why, in the English settings for Cortana, there is a switch to set, if English is not your mother language.

Cliff S, May 26, 2015
  11. davehc Win User
    I don't hold out a great deal of hope for its perfection.
    Dragon has been around since dos. I tried the windows version on, I think Windows 95 and later on Windows 98. It was fun, but a long way from perfect. After all these years, if they haven't got any further, it spells it out. Star trek got it better lol

davehc, May 26, 2015
  12. groze Win User
    Off topic post,

Did you know that was Gene Roddenberry wife that did the voice of the computer?

I think she did the voice of the computer in most the star trek tv shows and made a guest appearance in some of them.

groze, May 26, 2015
  13. Tony K Win User

Looks like the Dragon Assistant is still around, Dave, although it may be presented by a different company?

Dragon Assistant | Nuance

Cortana on my Lumia 1520 WP8.1 works seamlessly here in the U.S.. Hold the search button and she/it opens awaiting a voice command. Speak "Open such-and-such app" and she opens it. Speak "Make an appointment" and that process begins. Same with reminders. Speak "Search for Windows 10 forums". These are the results via Bing. Windows TenForums.com is #1 on the list.

Cortana in non-English contries gone? For good?? [​IMG]

The best is when driving for we have to be hands free here in our state. Speak "Call such-and-such" and she dials the number. What could be more convenient?

It/She has her own Notebook similar to the ones in OneNote. It's linked to my MS account so as to be the same on any of my devices. I don't have my tower up and running due to my latest move while remodeling, so I'm a few builds behind to see progress. In my current 1024 build it wasn't working well.

Cortana in non-English contries gone? For good?? [​IMG]

A tutorial I made: Windows Phone 8 and 8.1 Search Button. The music search is I think the most ingenious.

There's so much more that I can't cover in one post. I'm hoping all have at least the chance to try it/her out.

Tony K, May 26, 2015
  14. davehc Win User
    tKS yes, That prompted my last remark. I think she also played one or two small parts in at least one of the series. Must have been exceptionally catchy because her voice was used in several other tech devices.

davehc, May 26, 2015
  15. Tony K Win User
    Geez. Can you say nothing good about modern innovation even though you don't like it? Personally the only thing I saw wrong with Clippy was that it was pesty distraction with its movements. A great teaching aid while learning Office, though.

I find Cortana very handy. I would think it to be especially great help for some that are handicapped. Let's try to think past our noses shall we? *Wink

I must ask > Have you used Cortana for any good length of time?

Tony K, May 26, 2015
Thema:

1. Cortana in non-English contries gone? For good?? - Similar Threads - Cortana non English

2. Why don't English subtitles work on non English scenes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why don't English subtitles work on non English scenes?: When streaming movies in Movies and TV, certain movies with multiple languages don't display subtitles for non-English dialogue. For example, in Kill Bill Vol. 1, none of the Japanese dialogue has subtitles. Considering the theatrical movie had subtitles for these scenes, it...
  3. Why don't English subtitles work on non English scenes?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why don't English subtitles work on non English scenes?: When streaming movies in Movies and TV, certain movies with multiple languages don't display subtitles for non-English dialogue. For example, in Kill Bill Vol. 1, none of the Japanese dialogue has subtitles. Considering the theatrical movie had subtitles for these scenes, it...
  4. Cortana assistant English/Russian

in Cortana
    Cortana assistant English/Russian: When does Cortana will be available for Russia? It has been already 7 years, and there's still no hope from you, that it will appear any time soon. Could you at least, make Cortana English version working on Russian locale or something like that? Cortana declines to work on...
  5. Cortana Is gone

in Cortana
    Cortana Is gone: My Cortana disappeered it is not in my apps either i Looked online but i got no answer that would work can someone help me please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-is-gone/e6bf00cc-e2a8-461b-8a57-25d2dc30967c
  6. Cortana gone?

in Cortana
    Cortana gone?: Hi there, I try to activate Cortana on my Surface Book 3, but without success. I tried all the tipps on the internet, even tried to reinstall Cortana. But nothing works out. Windows 10, Latest updates. Any hints? Win + s does not open Cortana no Cortana Setting in...
  7. Cortana: Unavailable in English (UK)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cortana: Unavailable in English (UK): Recently updated to the 2004 build, now whenever launching Cortana it tells me it's unavailable in English UK. I've tried resetting, updating app and setting all language packs to UK, but still get the same issue. It worked perfectly prior to this update. Any ideas? thanks...
  8. Cortana English

in Cortana
    Cortana English: If Cortana English is not available in Canada as the annoying pop up keep stating, then why don't Microsoft remove it from its windows 10 settings for devices marketed for Canada? It doesn't stay closed nor minimized and pops up as a useless item with the words; SORRY, BUT...
  9. Cortana cannot speak English!

Cortana cannot speak English!: Every so often Cortana pops up with a message saying that before she can help 'I must select a language she can speak'. There is a list of appropriate languages including of course English US and English UK My preference has been English UK (the region where I live) for...
  10. Cortana gone

Cortana gone: Did the anniversary update and it removed Cortana, Microsoft support is useless . it is still in the all app list but when i click on it all i can do is search windows files 58794