Windows 10: Cortana not enabled - region Australia, language English

Discus and support Cortana not enabled - region Australia, language English in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; As you can see below, Cortana will not enable despite Australia and English being selected. I am 100% up to date on updates. [img] [img] Is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by gorman, Nov 19, 2015.

1. gorman Win User

Cortana not enabled - region Australia, language English

As you can see below, Cortana will not enable despite Australia and English being selected. I am 100% up to date on updates.

Cortana not enabled - region Australia, language English [​IMG]

Is there any other settings I need to change to get Cortana to work?

Thanks!

:)

gorman, Nov 19, 2015
  2. belly62 Win User

Hi Cortana not working

Language Settings: English (Australia), Phone Language: Enabled, Regional Format: Enabled

Regional Settings: Country/Region: Australia, Regional Format: English (Australia)

Speech Settings English (Australia)

And still Hey Cortana does not let me enable it, when I go to Settings Hey Cortana: Voice Activation: To use Hey Cortana, make sure your region and speech language match your current display language. Even if I use speech settings as English (United States),
    Hey Cortana is still disable and cannot be activated. for the download speech packs there is only English (United Kingdom) and English (United States), NO ENGLISH (AUSTRALIA), hence why Hey Cortana cannot be activated.

It is strange, because in Windows 8.1 for computer, if your want to use the voice activation software that is built into this operating system, English (Australia) is there and can be downloaded. but the old Windows Phone 8.1 it is not there and even with
    the Denim update it is still not there. I really hope for the mobiles in Windows 10 it will be there, otherwise it will be a dead section within the operating system, since it is stated that Windows Phone operating system as we know it is dead and buried when
    Windows 10 is released.

belly62, Nov 19, 2015
  3. I have the windows 8.1 update but Cortana will not work.

I live in Australia. I and my wife each have a Lumia 1520 (we sourced them both by mail order from Hong Kong).

We have the following updates:

Lumia Cyan V 02061.00066.14253.40004 latest version

OS Windows Phone 8.1 version 8.10.12397.895

these are both the latest available versions

We've made the following settings in the phone:

Language:

English (Australia)

Phone language - enabled

Regional Language enabled

Region:

Country/Region - Australia

Regional format - English (Australia)

Speech:

Speech Language - English (United Kingdom)

My understanding is that these are all the prerequisites for enabling Cortana (alpha) in Australia. But when we press the search button I just get the voice activated Bing search - no sign of Cortana. Also Cortana isn't listed
    in my applications.

We live in Australia but the phones were purchased from Hong Kong where they were manufactured (the IMEI number identities this). Could this be why the update with Cortana is not functioning?

David

DavidMayes, Nov 19, 2015
  4. Cortana not enabled - region Australia, language English

You an me both! I wonder if MS realises there are actually TWO hemispheres in the world? i.e. Northern AND Southern hemispheres. Cortana has not yet reached South Africa either

Atomcrusher, Nov 19, 2015
  5. gorman Win User
    Well the thing is, as of a week ago Cortana should have been released for Australia: First Major Update for Windows 10 Available Today | Windows Experience Blog
    But it doesn't seem to work for me at least...

South Africa is shit out of luck though Cortana not enabled - region Australia, language English :p

gorman, Nov 19, 2015
  6. Carljh Win User
    Carljh, Nov 19, 2015
  7. On the Region and Language page, where you have language English (Australia)

Click on English (Australia) and you should get an Options button appear, if you select this what do you get

Its been a while since I set mine up so its a bit hazy, but I had to add something specific in here to get the UK Cortana working

Also check the Speech option, make sure its not set to US

paulsalter, Nov 19, 2015
  8. gorman Win User

Here's the English (Australia) options

I don't see anything handy there unfortunately.

This looked promising! But...

I can't actually change the speech language...

Ticking the non-native accents box didn't help either.

I'm thinking you might be right about this drop down being the problem though.

gorman, Nov 19, 2015
  9. On the first picture, it looks like you have a US Keyboard set
    Click on the add a keyboard and add the Australian keyboard
    Then go back a page and highlight the added keyboard, a pop up should show with set as default, click that

If you now go to the speech option, the drop down should allow you to select the Australian speech

**After looking, I don't see an Australian keyboard, it might need to be set to UK instead of US to work

This might show what settings you need for it
    http://wmpoweruser.com/guide-to-enab...phone-devices/

paulsalter, Nov 19, 2015
  10. gorman Win User
    Well, my keyboard is US qwerty but regardless I gave it a shot, there was no "set as default" option so I removed the US qwerty. I still could not change to "Australian speech" (still no options to choose from). I set my keyboard back to US qwerty because I don't know the other layout Cortana not enabled - region Australia, language English :p

I suspected I might have to manually install English (Australian), that guide does hint that it may need to be installed. I guess I'll try find out how to do that.

Cheers for the help so far!

EDIT: I can't find any possible way to install additional speech languages, there is nothing in the control panel under language or speech settings to do this unfortunately. I am going to have to assume that MS hasn't actually made the speech recognition yet, despite Cortana being technically available, it's currently impossible because you can't installed the prerequisites...

gorman, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cortana not enabled - region Australia, language English - Similar Threads - Cortana enabled region

2. Enable or Disable Administrative Tab in Regional and Language Settings

in Windows 10 News
    Enable or Disable Administrative Tab in Regional and Language Settings: The Administrative tab in Regional and Language settings is used to manage your computer’s language. So, if someone alters these settings, the display text of non-Unicode programs will be altered. If you want to see this setting, open Command Prompt and click Region....
  3. Cortana Regions And Languages

in Cortana
    Cortana Regions And Languages: Cortana is not working again. It says 'Cortana isn't available In your region' Please tell all the available regions. Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-regions-and-languages/65d4c67b-5d92-4347-b44e-fbc84d40064d
  4. [Cortana] Output answers are in Chinese language settings, region and display is in US English

in Cortana
    [Cortana] Output answers are in Chinese language settings, region and display is in US English: Hi! I struggle to get Cortana running like I want to. And I am not even bossy : I setup my new surface go2 like this: Region: United States Current format: Recommended [English United States] Display language: English United States Preffered languages: English US...
  5. Region and Language

in Windows 10 Customization
    Region and Language: I have added a wrong region, how to remove it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/region-and-language/5671547b-e950-4c77-b2af-554944ba5676
  6. Handwriting support for English (AUSTRALIA) unavailable

Handwriting support for English (AUSTRALIA) unavailable: I have scoured the internet for hours and tried several fixes with no luck. I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 and I'm trying to use draw and general ink tools within Microsoft Word. When I download the Australian English language pack, even though an icon appears in 'Region...
  7. Region and language

Region and language: I want to change my language to English, however when I go to the Region and Language section nothing appears what can i do to fix this? Here is a screenshot to see what happens [ATTACH]...
  8. Region & Language

Region & Language: Why doesn't Region & Language show up? It has been about this for 3 months. I updated and restarted the computer many times. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/region-language/c7470674-2f84-44b1-a4f8-73b6f19df89b
  9. Cortana Not Available In The Region And Language You Have Selected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana Not Available In The Region And Language You Have Selected: As far as i can see i have all the langauge, region, currency & locale information set to English UK but im still getting the following when i try to activate Cortana, Any Thoughts?.... [img] 12395
  10. Cortana isn't supported in the region or language you've selected.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cortana isn't supported in the region or language you've selected.: Hey guys, Not long installed the new Windows 10, but I had to change my language pack from English - United States to English - United Kingdom, now I'm trying to activate Cortana, but comes up saying Cortana isn't supported in the region or language you've selected....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Regionolformteha.enabled..

2. phone.language.enabIed

3. phone.language.enabled..

4. get cortina working in australia,
  5. Tap.andhoId.for.more.options.phoneLanguags:enabIed.speech:enabIed.keyboard:English.regional.format:enabled.out...,
  6. cortana not working in australia