Windows 10: Cortana not working.

Discus and support Cortana not working. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Over the last couple of days I have found Cortana's 'Ask Me Anything' search box will not work. I can type nothing in. From inspection of other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by gordon99, Jan 10, 2016.

1. gordon99 Win User

Cortana not working.

Over the last couple of days I have found Cortana's 'Ask Me Anything' search box will not work. I can type nothing in. From inspection of other people's problems with Cortana it seems the trouble is often associated with Start Menu malfunction. In my case however I have no problem with the start menu.
    Can anyone advise me how to overcome this annoying problem?
    PS The Windows 10 updates are all installed.

:)

gordon99, Jan 10, 2016

2. Error code 0xA00F4244(0xC00D36D5) on using Camera on Windows 10.

my camera ids not working

camera not working, Jan 10, 2016
  3. Skyfire stopped supporting all windows 6.5 phones

Skyfire stopped supporting all windows 6.5 phones so why is it still on markeplace and is Microsoft going to stand up for us now that all they care about is android and Iphone

SKYFIRE NOT WORKING, Jan 10, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Cortana not working.

Suggestions only :

1. You said " Over the last couple of days ". If that is the fact, do a system restore. Pick a date when Cortana was working , or at least a week ago as your restore point.

2. If that does not help. Try this troubleshooting method..............
    Run a system file check to look for corrupt files. It will try to do repair if any found.
    Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.......
    sfc /scannow

> press Enter.
    It will take quite sometime.
    When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports...............(paraphrasing)
    1. No integrity violation.
    2. Found corrupt files and repair successful.
    3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

If the report is #1, your solution lies elsewhere.
    If the report is #2, check if your problems have been resolved.
    If the report is #3, use this method................
    In the same Command Prompt (Admin) windows, copy and paste this command...........

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

> press Enter.
    Again it will take some time.
    When finished, it will give you a report.

3. Create another user account with exactly the same privileges > log on to it and see if Cortana will work.

davidhk, Jan 10, 2016
  5. gordon99 Win User
    David. Thank you for your response to my question. I had earlier tried a system restore to no effect. I therefore ran sfc/scannow which showed no problems, as it usually does for me whether or not there are problems. I therefore set up a new account and lo-and- behold Cortana was there and working. I then shut down and started up again, logging on to my original account hoping Cortana would work but it wouldn't. On the subject of accounts, I set up the new one as a L.ocal account with administrator rights. However when I logged on to it I seem to recall, though I may be mistaken, that some of my programs did not load. This leads me to more questions I'm afraid such as:
    If Cortana appears in one account why does it not in all accounts.? Surely there must be a work around for this bug?
    Does it matter that I set the new account as Local?
    Is there any trick I can use to get the new account back to my own name and password etc. keeping Cortana running?

gordon99, Jan 11, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    The reason I suggested a new user account is on the assumption that your account maybe corrupted.
    Seems to me my assumption is correct.
    The next step will be backing up all your personal files you want to keep and delete the corrupt account.

As to the question of local admin account etc, I can't answer it as I don't know the answer.
    Sorry.

davidhk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Cortana not working.

1. Cortana not working. - Similar Threads - Cortana working

2. Start menu and Cortana not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu and Cortana not working: Hi, I uninstalled a quality update of windows 11 because my computer has been freezing several times and after I uninstalled, my computer went well for only a few minutes before it freezed again. My cursor was the only thing that can move while my PC frozed. It showed me a...
  3. Start menu and Cortana not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu and Cortana not working: Hi, I uninstalled a quality update of windows 11 because my computer has been freezing several times and after I uninstalled, my computer went well for only a few minutes before it freezed again. My cursor was the only thing that can move while my PC frozed. It showed me a...
  4. Start menu cortana search not working along with others

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Start menu cortana search not working along with others: hp laptop with windows 10. start menu wont open, search wont work, settings wont open, system properties wont open, display settings wont open. tried to restart windows explorer, didn't change. tried sfc scannnow, nothing changed. Cortana does not appear in task manager....
  5. Start menu cortana search not working along with others

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu cortana search not working along with others: hp laptop with windows 10. start menu wont open, search wont work, settings wont open, system properties wont open, display settings wont open. tried to restart windows explorer, didn't change. tried sfc scannnow, nothing changed. Cortana does not appear in task manager....
  6. Start menu cortana search not working along with others

7. After Windows 11, Cortana now stops working on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    After Windows 11, Cortana now stops working on Windows 10: Microsoft has just dropped a new update in the Release Preview Channel that turns off Cortana on Windows 10. As we first spotted, this move comes after the software maker killed off the digital assistant on Windows 11 as it bets big on Windows Copilot, Microsoft 365 Copilot,...
  8. Cortana does not work

in Cortana
    Cortana does not work: Cortana does not work in Windows 10 Pro: "Cortana is unavailable in the region and language you've selected". My region is set as " United States" and my language is set to English United States. For some reason I cannot turn it on. I even logged in with a Microsoft account...
  9. Cortana does not work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cortana does not work: Cortana does not work in Windows 10 Pro: "Cortana is unavailable in the region and language you've selected". My region is set as " United States" and my language is set to English United States. For some reason I cannot turn it on. I even logged in with a Microsoft account...
  10. Cortana does not work