Windows 10: Cortana only wants to search bing and "my stuff"

Discus and support Cortana only wants to search bing and "my stuff" in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; In windows 10 it says I can chat with Cortana and ask it questions and get a personalized response, but this isn't the case for me. It says I can speak... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by eballen, Aug 26, 2015.

1. eballen Win User

Cortana only wants to search bing and "my stuff"

In windows 10 it says I can chat with Cortana and ask it questions and get a personalized response, but this isn't the case for me. It says I can speak aloud or type, but since I've no mic, I choose to type.

When I ask it something like "How's the weather" or "How tall is Jeff Goldblum?" I get a bing search page that pops up instead of a Cortana response. All of the interests are enabled and such and I've filled out the about me with my name.

As soon as I start typing ANYTHING, it shows results for "The Web" and "My Stuff" but doesn't even try to ask Cortana the question.

How can I resolve this issue?

:)

eballen, Aug 26, 2015

2. Cortana No longer works correctly

My new Windows 10 system has never had a "My Stuff" option, it shows only "Web" in the Cortana / search bar. I have indexing turned on and my computer is fully indexed - but there is no way to efficiently search for files on my computer. I disabled Cortana
    and web search to eliminate the flood of irrelevant information from Bing and still don't have a My Stuff" option displayed. I've had to turn to third party software for the basic search function. How do I get a simple local file search to work with the search
    bar? I did just discover the"Document" icon and the "More" option at the top. Is it necessary to click on them to enable a simple local search?

DouglasQuine, Aug 26, 2015
  3. Bing rewards on Windows Phone?

I am getting Bing "Mobile search" credits for my Bing searches performed through Cortana. So I guess this is now working!

JonathanShaw, Aug 26, 2015
  4. eballen Win User

Okay so I found an old mic and Cortana appears to respond to my voice. However she constantly says she can't do something at the moment or she's not talking to the internet at the moment..

EDIT:

Apparently Cortana doesn't want to work when I have Firefox open! As soon as I closed firefox and asked it questions, she answered accordingly. I have Firefox v. 40.0.2 I think.

eballen, Aug 26, 2015
  5. eballen Win User
    BUMP

Okay so apparently that was a fluke. Cortana doesn't work with mic now either. Keeps saying that "something went wrong, try again later", etc.

What can I do to resolve this?

(She works fine when I ask to open programs but not when I asked to remind me or other questions)

eballen, Aug 27, 2015
  6. toby49 Win User
    Personally, I am disappointed with Cortana. It was often compared to Siri, but it isn't at all like Siri. It's just a device that takes you to Bing 99% of the time. I finally decided to turn it off and go back to the regular search format. Now, if you still want to use Cortana, but don't like Bing (I don't like it either), here is a link to a page full of soulutions that will make Cortana use Google instead.

How to get Cortana to use Google? - Google Search

toby49, Aug 27, 2015
  7. eballen Win User
    Cortana isn't working properly.. I don't care about the search engine. Firefox automatically redirects her results to google anyway.

eballen, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cortana only wants to search bing and "my stuff" - Similar Threads - Cortana wants search

2. cortana only searches bings, nothing else

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    cortana only searches bings, nothing else: I just tried using cortana for the first time, had my laptop for more than a year but never thought about using cortana before today. but no matter what i send her she just searches bing and cannot do any of the other functionalities, it's really frustrating since i've got my...
  3. Cortana will not open apps, it now only offers Bing search results.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana will not open apps, it now only offers Bing search results.: I am on Windows 10. Cortana now either gives me Bing results or says "Sorry, I'm not able to help with that" whenever I ask it do anything. If I say "Open Word" it simply gives a list of things to do to open word. If I say "Set a timer for 3 minutes" or "remind me to phone...
  4. Disable Bing in cortana search

in Cortana
    Disable Bing in cortana search: When trying to search in the search bar, if I mistakenly click on any of the questions, it automatically brings up Edge/Bing. I've removed it from any defaults that I can find, but it's infuriating that I can't remove/disable this thing entirely. It's not a good web browser,...
  5. Cortana only binging everything on my laptop

in Cortana
    Cortana only binging everything on my laptop: Hello, My Cortana only bings everything I say to her when I asked her to launch ANY apps that are already installed on my laptop. It also couldn't set a timer. It says "Sorry, I'm not able to help with this one." although the on my other computer works perfectly fine....
  6. Update May 2020 - Cortana can only search bing...nothing else

in Cortana
    Update May 2020 - Cortana can only search bing...nothing else: I've been trying to use Cortana since the latest update but I have a few bugs: 1. "wake word invocation is currently unavailable" 2. Every request goes to Bing...I can't launch any app with it 3. I ask "Learn my voice" all she answers is "Here is what I found"...and...
  7. How to make Cortana search in Google then Bing

How to make Cortana search in Google then Bing: Hello, I would like to know how to make Cortana search in Google rather then Bing. I have changed the default browser to Firefox. Used the EdgeDeflector program to use Firefox instead of Edge. Added Google to Bing Firefox addon. If I make a search via Cortana and I...
  8. Wanted Chrome. Getting only Bing.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wanted Chrome. Getting only Bing.: I have 3 Windows 10 computers, but one is a laptop that only gets Bing, instead of Chrome. I cant out Chrome on screen, to change settings. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wanted-chrome-getting-only-bing/5e8ff3c3-8568-4117-8b93-376ea1685d54
  9. Wanted Chrome. Getting only Bing.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wanted Chrome. Getting only Bing.: I have 3 Windows 10 computers, but one is a laptop that only gets Bing, instead of Chrome. I cant out Chrome on screen, to change settings....
  10. Cortana cannot even "Search My Stuff" with no internet connection!

Cortana cannot even "Search My Stuff" with no internet connection!: Hi, I've noticed, if there is no internet connection on account login, Cortana cannot search for files and apps in my PC! When it's connected to internet (even for a few seconds), Cortana's (local) search works fine. Is it only for me???*Huh P S: If you want to...