Windows 10: Cortana Popup Adverts In Action Centre Since Update

Discus and support Cortana Popup Adverts In Action Centre Since Update in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Recently I've been having a lot of windows 10 auto updates, (presumably this 'anniversary update' thing). Today, whilst minding my own business... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ouroboros72, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Cortana Popup Adverts In Action Centre Since Update

Recently I've been having a lot of windows 10 auto updates, (presumably this 'anniversary update' thing).

Today, whilst minding my own business perusing one of my regular forum pages (in firefox), I had an advert popup in my action centre which opened with the line 'looking for something tasty?.... I can help you with that … blah blah '. It was a cortana thing, and when I clicked, it opened the edge browser on a page loaded with local takeaways. Unrelated to what I was looking at and unsolicited.

This is fresh off the back of the now daily popups from my antivirus (I changed from AVG to Avast but it’s the same on both ( but at least spamming me about their own product!)

Anyway, I did a quick search and notice on another page, microsoft has also removed the ability to disable cortana easily in it's local settings in these new updates, which altogether seems a bit insidious.

Seriously, is this the future?

If anyone's come across this and has an idea of the specific code of the update responsible I'd be grateful to know.

Thanks

:)

ouroboros72, Sep 3, 2016

2. Solitaire Collection in Windows 10

The adverts in Solitaire collection are freezing the app. It loads ok you select the game and when the advert appears ( before the cards are loaded ) the screen goes white. No options to return to previous screen, so only action is to close it down. Has
    only started happening since new advert has appeared for IBM.

StephenLEGGE, Sep 3, 2016
  3. CORTANA "TASKBAR TIDBITS" NO LONGER WORKS.

I don't get the little pop ups for Cortana in my action centre. She's fine and dandy on the start menu main area but nothing in action centre. At least on one of my PCs (my other machine does have her piping up with hints in action centre).

i saw your post about going into notifications and actions and the option to switch on banners and sounds for Cortana is not there. Loads of other apps but Cortana is conspicuous by its absence. Is it a mobile only feature? And I mean that in terms of only
    being available to wifi connecting machines, my main PC which doesn't have the option is Ethernet only. I made sure everything is else is on, tidbits etc

Scottyboy99, Sep 3, 2016
  4. Cliff S New Member

Cortana Popup Adverts In Action Centre Since Update

Open the hamburger menu in Cortana, select Notebook, and turn of any options you do not want Cortana showing.

Cortana Popup Adverts In Action Centre Since Update [​IMG]

Cliff S, Sep 3, 2016
  5. When I click on that hamburger it shows I'm not 'signed in'. I've never signed in to it before. I've only used cortana on the odd accasion as a search function to locate stuff on my PC. I don't think I want to limit what it shows me per se, I just want it to not out of the blue start spamming me with restaurant suggestions, when I haven't instigated it's use. Really I just want it to be an unobtrusive tool at my disposal, as it was before the updates.

ouroboros72, Sep 3, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Sep 3, 2016
  7. Ok that's worth a try. Tidbits was turned on, so maybe its something to do with that. I might have been jumping the gun blaming it on the updates, but I hadn't had it before.

I'll turn tidbits off and monitor.

Thanks for the replies guys.

ouroboros72, Sep 3, 2016
  8. Cortana Popup Adverts In Action Centre Since Update

Well, unfortunately turning off tidbits didn't solve the issue. Cortana is definately still hassling me on a daily basis now for some reason. Today's message was;

"Texting and email, no typing required. Tell me what you want me to say and I'll write it up for you. I can even send texts from your pc"

Yesterday it wanted to get involved in managing my friends, and before that my calendar.

The only thing it doesn't seem to want to get involved in is helping me to get it to shut up!

ouroboros72, Sep 7, 2016
  9. In hindsight I think I might have been a muppet and didn't restart after setting tidbits to off. Pretty sure it did solve the issue. I'm gonna mark this as solved. Thanks again guys.

ouroboros72, Sep 8, 2016
  10. I've got the opposite. Tidbits are turned on for me but I don't get those pop ups in the notification centre from cortana. Well they do on one machine but not on the other. Not bothered but it's another case of unpredictable behaviour from Windows 10. You never quite know what your going to get!

Scottyboy99, Sep 8, 2016
  11. Yeah, it's weird, it does seem to all be a bit of a law unto itself. As I say, I didn't hear a lot from Cortana (with tidbits turned on) until recently, around about the time a batch of updates started coming through. Then all of a sudden it started piping up on a daily basis. So whether there was something in the updates that made Cortana a bit more lively or it was just coincidence I'm not sure. But the fact the updates also removed the facility to easily turn it off in the local settings makes me wonder.

ouroboros72, Sep 10, 2016
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Can't understand the bit about Cortana -- I've never used it and it certainly doesn't even show on my system (Win 10 pro X-64 - GB edition) as I've set it to hidden.

Seems easy enough to get rid of it.

Cortana Popup Adverts In Action Centre Since Update [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 10, 2016
  13. Cortana Popup Adverts In Action Centre Since Update

Yeah she's weird and does whatever she pleases. On one PC I can't shut her up, she's worse than my wife, whilst the one in question here she is very quiet. She works ok on the start menu but doesn't pipe up in action centre at all. Not too bothered but would be nice for some consistent behaviour!

Scottyboy99, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Cortana Popup Adverts In Action Centre Since Update

1. Cortana Popup Adverts In Action Centre Since Update - Similar Threads - Cortana Popup Adverts

2. Action Centre

in Windows 10 Customization
    Action Centre: Before i used to have the tablet mode icon in my action centre, but recently i resetted my pc because it was a bit sluggish, but now the tablet icon seems to be missing from the right panel action centre, the tablet mode is there in my pc, but the icon has disappeared from...
  3. Action centre

Action centre: I can see the action centre icon on the bottom right of desktop, with a number of messages, but it will not open. When I go to system, notifications and actions and select Edit your quick actions, I get the error message "We're updating windows shell experience host. It...
  4. action centre

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    action centre: The notification center will not stay open. Comes on momentarily and then goes off. How do I get it to work properly? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/action-centre/300d282a-65a5-45c1-adad-2d13f3e56962"
  5. Adverts in Action Centre, courtesy of Edge.

in Browsers and Email
    Adverts in Action Centre, courtesy of Edge.: This popped up today. An advert in action centre, and the '1' unread notification is for this popup. To say I was less than impressed would be an understatement. Opening action centre and right clicking the advert did allow an option to not receive ads from this particular...
  6. Adverts in Action Centre, courtesy of Edge.

in Windows 10 Support
    Adverts in Action Centre, courtesy of Edge.: This popped up today. An advert in action centre, and the '1' unread notification is for this popup. To say I was less than impressed would be an understatement. Opening action centre and right clicking the advert did allow an option to not receive ads from this particular...
  7. Action centre

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Action centre: After update to 1809 action centre is not showing the notifications.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/action-centre/3214836e-d26b-407c-b25b-3ecdd232b489
  8. Action Centre not showing notifications since last update

Action Centre not showing notifications since last update: Yesterday my PC had the "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803" since then I have not received and Email notifications. or any other notifications for that matter. Suggestions please. Thnaks...
  9. Action Centre

Action Centre: I've just updated to 1803 after a lot of difficulty. I cannot open the action centre by swiping from right or even by clicking icon. If I click and hold I get a small menu but still cannot get it....
  10. Action centre issue since Office 365 update

in Browsers and Email
    Action centre issue since Office 365 update: Morning Yesterday, I updated my Office 365 to the latest version, now running version 1801 (9001.2138) ... Up until this update, when an email was received it would pop up in the action centre notification, then disappear. Since the update it stays there and shows the...