Windows 10: Cortana Question

Discus and support Cortana Question in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I was wondering and curious about Cortana being toggled off in all of its settings to where it doesn't even show anymore in the Task Bar [Search took... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by tazmo8448, Nov 6, 2016.

1. tazmo8448 Win User

Cortana Question

I was wondering and curious about Cortana being toggled off in all of its settings to where it doesn't even show anymore in the Task Bar [Search took its place] yet it is still consuming anywhere from 30 to 40 Mbs of memory usage on a constant basis.

I realize that it is part an parcel tied to the Windows SearchUI mechanics yet if I'm not searching or surfing my OS why would it be using memory and what could it be 'searching' for?

:)

tazmo8448, Nov 6, 2016
  2. RamTerra Win User

Cortana Questions

I am having some problems with Cortana. For one you are suppose to say "Start Playing (song)" when I use this she does a bing search for "Start Playing (song.)" as well if I tell her play, I should be able to say play 21 jump st, but instead she does a
    search for it. I also cannot find anyway for her to open folders for me. I have tried saying "My Computer" and she opens up computer management. I have also tried open directory, with no avail as well. I would like to be able to give her a list of folders
    and sub folders, ex: "Hey Cortana open directory drive D, extras, things, movies, and like I said I can't even get her to open a song, which I have seen on the list of commands.

RamTerra, Nov 6, 2016
  3. Samuel_Sam, Nov 6, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Cortana Question

Hi, discussion here, which you may have seen, of course.
    Why Is Cortana Still Running in the Background After You Disable It?

Bottom line- fiddle too much and you'll break Windows search (on which Cortana depends) too.

Note: Cortana only finds files and folders which have been indexed- as you may know there are better tools for this e.g.
    Ultrasearch, Locate32, Everything (by Void Tools) - free, find as you type.

dalchina, Nov 7, 2016
  5. tazmo8448 Win User
    Yeah an thanks...it really seems no one really knows [other than MS and they ain't talkin'] the whys' and what-fors' on this. It just IS. I imagine it's linked to all the other 'goodies' included with the OS with most thinking it's Big Brother over your shoulder.

Agree that trying to rename the SearchUI.exe to rid oneself of Cortana only causes more issues. BTDT. One day it may be sorted out.
    One pet peeve is the Event Viewers 'Event Log Online Help' link that only takes you to the generic MS page and is in no way connected to the error reported.

tazmo8448, Nov 7, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    MS has baled out of Help.. it's now Help yourselves. I.e. community help- the community documents the OS (with some exceptions). There are more broken and useless links than that.

Win 7 used to have linked help... now we have none. MS must have sacked or repurposed a whole department.

The $ is king.. it pays to be unhelpful...*chuckle

dalchina, Nov 7, 2016
  7. tazmo8448 Win User
    *chuckle no truer words have been spoken...

wouldn't be nice to link the help thing to this forum

tazmo8448, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Cortana Question

1. Cortana Question - Similar Threads - Cortana Question

2. Cortana Question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cortana Question: Hello,I have a Windows 11 laptop that is registered to my Microsoft account. I would like to find the settings for Cortana, specifically the microphone setting to make sure it is shut off, but when I located the Cortana app under "Apps," it requested that I sign-in, which in...
  3. Cortana Question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana Question: Hello,I have a Windows 11 laptop that is registered to my Microsoft account. I would like to find the settings for Cortana, specifically the microphone setting to make sure it is shut off, but when I located the Cortana app under "Apps," it requested that I sign-in, which in...
  4. The link to the cortana question

in Cortana
    The link to the cortana question: https://aka.ms/AAdv3zu https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-link-to-the-cortana-question/93fa1e66-200c-4bbe-9a7c-b988fe3ed863
  5. Partition question and how do i disable Cortana?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Partition question and how do i disable Cortana?: https://i.ibb.co/b37CzhL/20210130-133717.jpg Hey, so I installed win10 on a new pc. 2 questions 1) I have a 500gb ssd drive as primary. But during the convoluted install process I seem to have created some oddities. I've lost 450 to "recovery partition" and 100 to "healthy...
  6. Question related to cortana

in Cortana
    Question related to cortana: Hello Everyone! Happy New Year!!! Just a general question. When my computer was in version 1909, cortana was able to lock the pc, put it to sleep and shut it down. However when I upgraded to version 2004 or 20H2, it cant do the same. IS it same for everyone or just for...
  7. Cortana shuts off before I can get my question out.

in Cortana
    Cortana shuts off before I can get my question out.: So when I say hey Cortana she comes up but immediately shuts down before I can even ask a question. I'm not sure what to try to get her back to answering my questions....
  8. Cortana Responds to my Question but never answers

in Cortana
    Cortana Responds to my Question but never answers: Hello: When I say "Hey Cortana", it starts Cortana and even displays my question, but then it just spins a circle above the question for about 4 seconds while it chimes, and then it just stops. Any ideas? Regards,...
  9. Cortana can hear me, but still won't respond to any questions

in Cortana
    Cortana can hear me, but still won't respond to any questions: So when I say "Hey Cortana" or click the little Cortana icon, she pops up. As I am asking her a question, I can see the words across the bottom of the screen so obviously she hears me. After that, the little circle icon will either spin for a few minutes and close, or she'll...
  10. Cortana disappears before I can ask a question

in Cortana
    Cortana disappears before I can ask a question: Cortana pops up but disappears before I can ask a question. Can I lock it onto my screen? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-disappears-before-i-can-ask-a-question/ebdf5a39-b67a-4899-95bd-adc5c97e0295"