Windows 10: Cortana search box changed to white color

Discus and support Cortana search box changed to white color in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Yesterday my Cortana search box changed to white from dark color. I didn't change any settings and had no updates. I saw in the Microsoft Community... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by wvigotty, Jun 9, 2017.

1. wvigotty Win User

Cortana search box changed to white color

Yesterday my Cortana search box changed to white from dark color. I didn't change any settings and had no updates. I saw in the Microsoft Community that a this happened to a few people as well. I did try using the downloadable .bat files in the tutorial section of this website to change it back to dark, which works, but after restarting my computer the search box keeps reverting back to white. I don't feel comfortable having this color. How do I fix this? See attached image.

:)

wvigotty, Jun 9, 2017
  2. Shawn Brink, Jun 9, 2017
  3. Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jun 9, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Mine is also white on the CU Version 1703 Build 15063.332 but I normally have it set for the icon only.

Berton, Jun 9, 2017
  5. wvigotty Win User
    Thanks for your reply. This is what it looked like before it changed to white yesterday. Much more appealing to my eye. I want it back to this color.

wvigotty, Jun 9, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    I just checked my Insider Preview Version 1703 Build 16199.1000 computer and it is not white nor is it black, just a darkish gray apparently to distinguish from the Taskbar itself.

Berton, Jun 9, 2017
  7. wvigotty Win User
    4 people plus me are now reporting this issue in the Microsoft Community since yesterday. The box is just changing to white all by itself. I never get much help in that community, so that is why I came here.

wvigotty, Jun 9, 2017
  8. Mooly Win User

Mooly, Jun 9, 2017
  9. Mooly Win User
    Just completed the restore and all is normal until I opened 'Libraries' and then it flipped to white. I'll have another play tomorrow.

Mooly, Jun 9, 2017
  10. wvigotty Win User
    This is a different .bat file than I tried. On the .bat file page it says it will modify the following reg key to value 0.

The downloadable .bat files below will modify the Current and RotateFlight DWORD values to 0 in the registry key below.
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search\Flighting

My reg key value is already at 0 so I don't believe this will work.

wvigotty, Jun 9, 2017
  11. wvigotty Win User
    The reg hacks in the tutorial section of this site and the one posted on this thread did not work for me. After applying the reg hacks, the search box would go back to the dark theme, but only until I restarted or shut down (fast startup turned off) my computer. After starting computer, the search box would still be dark theme, but only until I click on the search box. Then it goes back to white. What I think did work for me was changing to region without Cortana. I did this workaround and have restarted and shut down my computer a few times and it seems to be holding onto the dark theme. See attached on how to perform workaround.

Cortana search box changed to white color [​IMG]

wvigotty, Jun 10, 2017
  12. Mooly Win User
    I found the reg files did nothing either. What seems to work for me is the old fix of setting the region to Gambon (which has no Cortana search box), sign out and back in and then change the region back again followed by another sign out/in. That has worked.

This is an odd issue and seems hardware related because I had the same problems with the Anniversary edition after clean installing that six months ago. Not only this issue but also the weather app tile does not show any live info, its just a blue tile. Again I had that same issue with the AU on the PC in question.

Mooly, Jun 10, 2017
  13. jrih Win User

This issue has presented on both of my Dell computers with version 15063.332. I wanted to go through the route of changing the region as has been suggested to work here. I have gone through the regions listing several times now & fail to find "Gabon." Can anyone tell me which UTC # is associated with Gabon? TIA

EDIT: Duh! I was looking at the wrong pull down menu. Changed region to Gabon successfully & then back to US. Issue is resolved. Thanks for posting the fix in previous post. This was driving me crazy. But, it would be nice if Microsoft would explain why this is happening to some.

14. The only time when mine is white is when I click on the box to type. This could be the same for you though some systems depending on the setup are different to mine.

CentralPython, Jun 12, 2017
  15. Happened to me tonight also. Strange nothing updated

Danny

xxxdannyxxx, Jun 20, 2017
Thema:

1. Cortana search box changed to white color - Similar Threads - Cortana search box

2. Text color turned white in Search Box

in Cortana
    Text color turned white in Search Box: HelloRecently I enabled High Contrast for a bit just to explore, and when I turned it back off I saw that whatever text I typed in Windows Search was white and was not visible. It wasn't like that previously. Everywhere else the texts looks normal but in search it is white...
  3. Windows Search Box Automatically changing it's color.

in Cortana
    Windows Search Box Automatically changing it's color.: Hi Everyone !Quite recently, I'm getting this issue in my System. I have dark theme enabled by default, and the normal color of my search box on the taskbar is black, but as soon as I :1. Start the system2. Run ANY application literally, any applicationThe search box...
  4. Cortana search box

in Cortana
    Cortana search box: Hello, I reinstall Windows and have a problem with Cortana. Before I can choose three functions to show Cortana on the taskbar: Hidden, Show Cortana button and Show Cortana search box. Now I can choose only Show Cortana button after clicking right mouse button on the taskbar....
  5. Cortana Search Box turned white on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Cortana Search Box turned white on Windows 10: [ATTACH] The Black Theme is one of the favorite themes of Windows 10 users, and if you see anything which is white it gets annoying. Take a case of Taskbar which is usually dark, but when you look at Cortana search [...] This post Cortana Search Box turned white on Windows...
  6. Cortana / Search Box

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana / Search Box: The search box keeps popping open at random. I turned off Cortana but the search box keeps coming on. This is very annoying. If I want to do a search I'll open it myself. How can I stop the Cortana / Search box from popping itself on? 31998
  7. Cortana/Search field color changing from default gray to white

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana/Search field color changing from default gray to white: I thought I would post this and see if anyone has a real solution. Yesterday I noticed that after my morning startup the color of the Cortana/Search field was no longer it's default gray but was now white. I had made no changed to my PC (i.e. no system updates, no new...
  8. Change Color of Cortana Search Box to White in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Color of Cortana Search Box to White in Windows 10: How to: Change Color of Search Box on Taskbar to White in Windows 10 [img] Warning This tutorial will no longer work starting with Windows 10 version 1903. [img] Information Searching from your taskbar makes it easier for you to search the web and Windows....
  9. Change Cortana Search Box Text Color in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Cortana Search Box Text Color in Windows 10: How to: Change Cortana Search Box Text Color in Windows 10 How to Change Cortana Search Box Text Color in Windows 10 [img] Warning This tutorial will no longer work starting with Windows 10 version 1903. [img] Information Searching in Cortana on your taskbar...
  10. Cortana Search is white and blank

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana Search is white and blank: Hello all, New Asus computer, windows 10 - 64 bit. When I type something in the Cortana search, the pop-up comes up blank and white. Does anyone know how I can fix this? Thanks for your help. 78852